Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1992 300ce, 3.0, 207,00 mi.
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just need to vent, I can damn near spit fire right now. Went for my required smog this last Fri and failed. Checked everything out prior and ignition, fuel, and emmisions systems in good condition and proper working order. Of all the varibles failed one part, 25 mph HC max allowed 57 ppm and mine measured 59 ppm. Last time I did this the max allowed was 88 ppm. Even though the car is getting older CA actually lowered all the allowable limits for O2, HC, CO, and NO. All my other readings were well within limits. This is their way of getting older cars off the road. Will try again after some adjustments. Not a happy camper at the moment.

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,547 Posts
New plugs.
New wires.
New fuel filter.
Oil change.

Get the car good and hot before going for your test. I drove mine on the freeway in 3rd gear because I didn't want to go for a long drive. Make sure your car is not waiting too long to test it.

W124s are notorious for being on the cusp. This is why we are frequently targeted for Test Only" smog checks. Normally, just being hot enough will get you over the hump.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,756 Posts
At least change the plugs to NGK BP5EFS (hotter than stock) available for less than $2 ea. from clubplug.com . I'd also lean the car out enough to keep it running, get it hot as suggested by neanderthal.

Good Luck,

Jayare

1 - 3 of 3 Posts