Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560SL, 2011 E350 Wagon, 2016 AMG GTS Edition 1, Ural Gear Up
392 Posts
Referral request: PPI for W116 SD in San Diego

Looking for a reputable and knowledgeable indy in SD for a PPI on a W116 SD, preferably near Carmel. I'm unfamiliar with the area. Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 E320 & E55 AMG
1,239 Posts
Exclusive Motors on Miramar Road. Give Michel a call at (858) 552-1112!

He has 30 years experience, tells you up front what's going in and even shows you the old parts when you pick it up again.

·
Registered
1987 560SL, 2011 E350 Wagon, 2016 AMG GTS Edition 1, Ural Gear Up
392 Posts
Exclusive Motors on Miramar Road. Give Michel a call at (858) 552-1112!

He has 30 years experience, tells you up front what's going in and even shows you the old parts when you pick it up again.
Yes, thanks. Based on previous posts, both the seller and I checked around and he came up on both short lists. Thanks for the added validation.

Now, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
'07 E350 Sport Flint Grey P1
117 Posts
Heinz Gietz moved to 4122 Sorrento Valley Blvd. and renamed themselves to HG Motorsports. They are still the embodiment of classic MB service that was started by the dad many years ago in La Jolla, but now they are not an authorized MB dealer.
Which translates into less expensive repairs. They are still able to assist customers with warranty work thru an affiliate MB dealer. Their workmanship is superb and highly recomended. ph. # 858 454 7137

·
Registered
1989 300SE EURO
278 Posts
Big shout out for

The Ultimate Autoworks
5161 Santa Fe St
San Diego, CA 92109
(858) 274-2887

Selvyn is extremely knowledgeable about older MBs (and BMWs).
Their service is fast and excellent, and best of all, prices are below reasonable.
Just for a recent job, (other shops quoted me $750, TUA only $495).

I have been going to this place for years!

·
Registered
1989 300SE EURO
278 Posts
MO-49+

As far as I know, a/c shops are only allowed to repair R12 systems, not service.
If the under dash evaporator has gone bad, it could take thousands to fix.
There are too many unscrupulous shops out there.
Luckily, Mexico isn't that far.....
Meanwhile R12 is not avaialble there anymore (stopped a few years ago), but they have a drop-in replacement, MO-49+, which works great, but is not available in the US.

Better than paying $$$ for the conversion!

·
Registered
1989 300SE EURO
278 Posts
moved

Nick's was reccommended to me by friends. They have proven to be honest and fair.

Nick's Auto Repair- Independent Mercedes Service
Phone: (619) 231-0405

They must have moved to a new address:

1659 National Ave, San Diego, CA 92113

Phone number is still the same!

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,186 Posts
Luckily, Mexico isn't that far.....
Meanwhile R12 is not avaialble there anymore (stopped a few years ago), but they have a drop-in replacement, MO-49+, which works great, but is not available in the US.

Better than paying $$$ for the conversion!
Thanks for the heads up. Someone I know ( a son used to work for me) closed his Van Nuys mechanic shop and moved everything to TJ.
R12 was mineral oil, R134 Esther, I wonder which oil do is used with MO-49+ ?

·
Registered
1989 300SE EURO
278 Posts
MO49Plus

Thanks for the heads up. Someone I know ( a son used to work for me) closed his Van Nuys mechanic shop and moved everything to TJ.
R12 was mineral oil, R134 Esther, I wonder which oil do is used with MO-49+ ?
"ISCEON® MO49Plus™ is compatible with traditional and new lubricants – in most retrofit situations no change of oil type is required. ISCEON® MO49Plus™ will work successfully with the existing mineral oil in most systems. In systems where oil return is a potential concern or in systems where the suction line accumulator acts as a low pressure receiver, replacement of all, or part (~25%) of the compressor oil charge."

I recharged in TJ in April and so far no problems at all and A/C still is blowing cold. If anybody needs a reliable address over there, just send a PM.

Attachments

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,186 Posts
"ISCEON® MO49Plus™ is compatible with traditional and new lubricants – in most retrofit situations no change of oil type is required. ISCEON® MO49Plus™ will work successfully with the existing mineral oil in most systems. In systems where oil return is a potential concern or in systems where the suction line accumulator acts as a low pressure receiver, replacement of all, or part (~25%) of the compressor oil charge."

I recharged in TJ in April and so far no problems at all and A/C still is blowing cold. If anybody needs a reliable address over there, just send a PM.
Thanks, are the fittings for MO49+ different, or like R134 / R12?

·
Registered
1989 300SE EURO
278 Posts
Thanks, are the fittings for MO49+ different, or like R134 / R12?

Well, the fittings do not depend on the gas you're using. You can use any hose to tap into any can of freon.

The fittings might be more important for vacuuming the system with a recycle machine. But so far I have not seen any in Mexico.....

·
Registered
94 - S500 Cpe
418 Posts
Exclusive Motors is no longer recommended by me. Have gone there since the mid-90s but their attitude has changed. When Pat was there, the shop was "the-BEST" . . but after his death and over the years, the shop is taken the "commerical" route and prices are not in the customers favor. More info here

·
Registered
2004 E320 & E55 AMG
1,239 Posts
I cannot back this claim up.

Free loaner cars, $90/hour vs. $176/hour at the dealership.

I have seen customers with a $0 bill walking out after they worked on the car for 8 days but we’re unable to reproduce the complaint of the customer. They didn’t even charge for the gas the lady used when she brought the car back on fumes. He paid his mechanics, the loaner, the gas out of his own pocket. Not even a diagnostic charge

Not sure who Pat is but I would put my hand into the fire for these guys at Exclusive Motors.

If anyone in San Diego needs help with a diagnose, before you go in, can contact me and I’ll check your car out or even fix it with heavily discounted OEM parts (which are eben cheaper than Indy shops let alone the dealership) I charge a competitive hourly rate.

·
Registered
1983 300CD Turbo Diesel, 1997 E320
27 Posts
Coming up on a year of ownership of my 83 300CD turbo diesel so it's about that time for a major "Professional" tune-up. Having restored these cars for the last 10 years I'm always a little hesitant to bring in my babies to be finger banged by some rando. But the previous owner (original owner) used Randy's foreign car clinic religiously. I'm looking to maintain the vacuum system, turbo rebuild and maybe replace the door and window seals. I'm confident in the previous owners shop but was looking to also get an alternative shop just in case. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 E320 & E55 AMG
1,239 Posts
Coming up on a year of ownership of my 83 300CD turbo diesel so it's about that time for a major "Professional" tune-up. Having restored these cars for the last 10 years I'm always a little hesitant to bring in my babies to be finger banged by some rando. But the previous owner (original owner) used Randy's foreign car clinic religiously. I'm looking to maintain the vacuum system, turbo rebuild and maybe replace the door and window seals. I'm confident in the previous owners shop but was looking to also get an alternative shop just in case. Any ideas?
I always recommend Exclusive Motors as my go to shop for anything I can’t do myself and I do 98% of all of the work myself in my garage in all if our Mercedeses. (Funny looking plural) :)

·
Registered
2002 SLK 320
3 Posts
I LOVE all these threads and suggestions on mechanics and am kicking myself for not joining sooner - wonder if anyone can suggest a body shop for small dents, dings, etc. on a 2002 SLK 320? I'm new to this and concerned about getting an excellent paint match, otherwise I'd try my hand at it myself. Also, the car is Firemist Red - what's the best source for touchup paint?

·
Registered
94 - S500 Cpe
418 Posts
dixxie . . .
If they are small dings/dents, then try one of the many shops that actually "pull" a dent and/or a ding out . . amazing to watch. It's in-expensive as things are today (a ding was apx $35, today it's $65+) but it's quick and 'painless'.

Not sure that all of these businesses are in your area . . .
  • The Dent Doc
  • Bumper Express
  • Bumpers 2 Dents
The above companies feature bumper and paintless dent repair . . . if the paint has not chipped in the dent . . . if it has, then you will need a body shop.

·
Registered
2004 E320 & E55 AMG
1,239 Posts
Make sure they heat up the metal to pull dents out. The heat will take out the tension of the metal. If it’s done proper you’ll never see that anyone had ever worked on your car.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts