Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the lucky owner of a Mercedes SL55 and C6 Corvette, I follow forums and youtube videos of both, and am more aware of both the good and bad of both than non owners since I get to drive both back to back every week at least.
But the introduction of the C8 has caught my attention and interest, that is until I really got a good look at it, and what an ugly, poorly finished car it turns out to be.
Just the uneven stitching on the dash that you would have to look at every time you drove sealed it's fate for me. The plastic side window that doesn't match or line up correctly is even worse. The color combos make be sick, baby blue with yellowish interior? Really? Even the wheels offered are ugly.
I'll be keeping my present cars thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think the only thing interesting about the c8 is a mid engine corvette leaves a 70yr tradition and those performance numbers, 0-60 under 3 secs like wtf and apparently under 500hp.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,857 Posts
I have always liked Corvettes. It's a car that really should not exist today in the GM lineup. Whatever team of people have somehow continued to keep this model going should be congratulated. The fact that the bureaucratic behemoth that is GM continues to build a true sports car that can actually compete (performance-wise) with some of the world's top contenders, and do it for half the price (or even less) of those others is truly amazing.

Having said that, I would never own one. Like all GM products, parts for the Corvette are still pulled from the same bin of low-bid, often overseas, suppliers. It's like with my wife's Cadillac XT5: most of the switchgear and controls are the same ones they put in a Chevy Cobalt. It lacks any true "luxury" features, and for $20K more than a Chevy Traverse, you lose the 3rd row of seating and gain a nicer badge.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have always liked Corvettes. It's a car that really should not exist today in the GM lineup. Whatever team of people have somehow continued to keep this model going should be congratulated. The fact that the bureaucratic behemoth that is GM continues to build a true sports car that can actually compete (performance-wise) with some of the world's top contenders, and do it for half the price (or even less) of those others is truly amazing.

Having said that, I would never own one. Like all GM products, parts for the Corvette are still pulled from the same bin of low-bid, often overseas, suppliers. It's like with my wife's Cadillac XT5: most of the switchgear and controls are the same ones they put in a Chevy Cobalt. It lacks any true "luxury" features, and for $20K more than a Chevy Traverse, you lose the 3rd row of seating and gain a nicer badge.
When I bought the Corvette, it was the most expensive car I'd ever owned, and I chafed at comments like "cheap interior". I thought "Are you kidding?" Not being born with a silver spoon in my mouth, I really didn't think it was cheap at all. But fast forward 10 years, my financial position improved substantially, and suddenly a Mercedes was no longer out of reach. The interior of my SL55 is in another world.
But the performance of the Corvette (and style) hasn't faded though, and I'll never sell it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If i brought a corvette the last thing i would be thinking is interior quality, im looking for a big growly v8 and tire screeching performance, And everything else is just a plus. But thats probably what ever young guy looks for, like before i didn't think ac was a issue for first sports car, now its a requirement if im going to be driving everyday. Who woulda thought i would love heating/cooling/massaging seats. The c8 zr1 might put up bugatti numbers and we haven't even got started on the thousands of LS perfomances shops.

·
Registered
486 Posts
As the lucky owner of a Mercedes SL55 and C6 Corvette, I follow forums and youtube videos of both, and am more aware of both the good and bad of both than non owners since I get to drive both back to back every week at least.
But the introduction of the C8 has caught my attention and interest, that is until I really got a good look at it, and what an ugly, poorly finished car it turns out to be.
Just the uneven stitching on the dash that you would have to look at every time you drove sealed it's fate for me. The plastic side window that doesn't match or line up correctly is even worse. The color combos make be sick, baby blue with yellowish interior? Really? Even the wheels offered are ugly.
I'll be keeping my present cars thanks.
Since the C8 isn't in regular production yet, perhaps the product launch unit that you saw still had some hacked-together finishes. Maybe it will be different once manufacturing is underway. As for the colors, buyers will be able to specify their combinations, so I wouldn't blame the whole product on some poor choices.

I owned a 2012 "inferno orange" Corvette Z06. Two years later I found and bought the red 2010 SL63 I am driving now. I then felt the Corvette was redundant as I enjoyed driving the SL63 more, so I sold the Vette. As impressive as the Corvette was in its own way, the Vette simply does not compare to the SL AMG. And it shouldn't be expected to, considering the Vette costs half as much as the SL. The C8 will continue that tradition of being an affordable option.

The 7.0L LS7 enigine was the most powerful naturally aspirated engine GM ever put into a car at that time. The 6.2L AMG engine in the SL63 has even more horsepower, but the car is much heavier, so slower. But, I could get a little Audi TT RS and it would blow the doors off both of them, and a few "supercars" with its turbo'ed 2.5L 5 cylinder.

·
Registered
598 Posts
was in Detroit for the Woodward Dreamcruise in August - and drove out to Flint for 'Back to the Bricks' on the morning of the cruise. Encountered a C8 in the wild. Very low and wide in person. They had a Corvette display set up on Woodward, but we didn't stop to look at it. I would guess -- at the time (August 17) -- these were some of the first photos of a C8 in public. Driver and Cadillac CTS chase car didn't seem to mind us taking photos - but we were in a Hellcat Redeye that had manufacturer plates also. Would think most people that saw it that morning were photographing it like crazy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
But, I could get a little Audi TT RS and it would blow the doors off both of them, and a few "supercars" with its turbo'ed 2.5L 5 cylinder.
I dont know about that, TT RS can't possibly be compared to performance vettes, highend sl's, i know they quick to 60mph (because AWD) but thats it, after that they out of breath and even basic v8 mustangs and camaros will be pulling them in, I use to like them but now i see them as a more fun little commuter car, I'll personally take a last gen v8 rs5/s5 before that. Other then that they wouldn't dare to challenge me(sl600) or any capable vette.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts