Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
C43, E320, G500
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want everyone's opinion. What's better as far as cost effectiveness, performance, and reliability, a 5.5liter engine swap or supercharger on stock C43 engine? I'm trying to decide whether or not to convert to a C55 or use HPS or Kleeman S/C.

·
Registered
96 E320
58 Posts
if you can get a supercharger on the 5.5 i would go with that
but if im not correct the...

if you can get a supercharger on the 5.5 i would go with that
but if im not correct the 5.5's come with a supercharger stock...thats a good question yo0ur asking

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think the SC is the best path to take. Doing an engine swap can be a nightmare sometim...

I think the SC is the best path to take. Doing an engine swap can be a nightmare sometimes.

·
Registered
1999 C43
18 Posts
I want everyone's opinion. What's better as far as cost effectiveness, performance, and reliability, a 5.5liter engine swap or supercharger on stock C43 engine? I'm trying to decide whether or not to convert to a C55 or use HPS or Kleeman S/C.
I spent over 3 months trying to figure out which way to go, turbo or supercharger? But it came all down to cost, performance, and reliablility and clearly the HPS supercharger was the way to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
Audi S6
56 Posts
Personally, I prefer turbo to supercharger...But maybe thats because I am biased[:p] In an...

Personally, I prefer turbo to supercharger...But maybe thats because I am biased[:p] In any event...when you perform performance modifications you don't do them only to improve performance, you do them because you want your car to be unique, and something that few people has done. You do them for bragging rights

http://www.boykinracing.us/index3.htm

I probably would have gone for the conversion[;)]
http://www.boykinracing.us/Conversions.htm[/url

·
Registered
C240 (w202), V-6, 170 hp. 188,200 km, Y2K model yr. Obsidian Black metallic color. H&R Cup Kit.
11 Posts
C55 or supercharged C43?

I personally like the 5.5 liter engine more so than a C43 supercharged for a couple of reasons. But I would have to say that there are +'s and -'s to each case.

The old saying that, "there is no substitute for cubic inches" goes without mentioning. Just look at what Mercedes Benz decided to come out with next year on the w203 range... C55! A 5.5 liter engine will be more reliable in the long run and thus will be less stressed than a supercharged C43. But, bear in mind that a supercharged C43 probably will have more horse power and torque than the 5.5 liter engine and cost less than buying and installing a 5.5 liter engine. And how much more horsepower a C43 supercharged will have over a 5.5 depends on what supercharger you go with. Also you should note that if you did go for a 5.5 liter engine in your w202 C-class, you would be one of the priviledged few to drive such a car as there are probably more supercharged C43's running around! [;)]

·
Registered
Audi S6
56 Posts
Well, there is more than one way to do a swap. You can do a straight swap, where you leave...

Well, there is more than one way to do a swap. You can do a straight swap, where you leave the 5.5L stock, and put it in. OR, you can do a Stage II swap, where you would port and polish the intake and exhaust manifolds, big valve ported heads, and add free flowing intakes and exhausts, bringing bhp numbers in the 450 range for the 5.5 easily.
Economically, a swap makes more sense in most instances because when you swap (provided that you have a decent motor to begin with) you can sell your used motor for market price ($3,500-$4,250 for most benz motors). For example, if a swap costs you $10K, and you get $4,250 for your used motor, in the end the conversion costs you $5,750. Whereas if you go with the supercharger ($7-$11K in most instances), whatever money you put into the system is your total cost, no valuable parts left over. Now of course, this all depends what kind of people you are dealing with. These days, it's hard to find people who know what they are doing when it comes to conversions.

http://boykinracing.us/index4.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts