Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I have an 04 C55, 120K km on the dial.

For the last while, I have been getting a clicking/light grinding noise coming from the drive tunnel when the vehcile is warm. The sound goes away when u take your foot off the gas and coast, however this changes when the vehcile has run a really long time, then its noisy all the time, just louder when you apply throttle.

When u pull away slowly, you can hear the sound is very defnitely related to speed and rotation. I am 99% sure its from the drive shaft.
Sliding under the car (not easy on an AMG!), and inspect, its hard to see anything wrong but then again, the cats are in the way so u can see precious little of the drive shaft.
I have searched the web for any reference to a centre bearing failure issue but cant find anything.

Would appreciate any input from the esteemed forum members on how to tackle this issue

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sounds like a u-joint to me. They shouldn't fail this soon but you never know. The ones that I've had go bad weren't load sensitive but you never know.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I am not familair with the layout of the propshaft but assume there is a universal joint either end of the shaft, is that right?

I have never had a car which has had UJ failure, but with my mech knowledge, I would have assumed that sound would be more clunking in nature with power on/off type noises....or am I being too presumptious

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don't know for sure what the w203 has, but it's typical to have a rubber flex disc and two u-joints on the driveshaft to allow for mis-alignment.

I had a u-joint fail on a BMW and it made a clicking noise. I don't recall any grinding but I can see how it could.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts