Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought a mint C43 AMG, and after that, on here, I heard of the C55.. Besides for the obvious engine change, what else is different? Are there any of them in the States? What are their speed times? Price? Anything at all on them would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
C36 AMG
4 Posts
Hi, I just bought a mint C43 AMG, and after that, on here, I heard of the C55.. Besides for the obvious engine change, what else is different? Are there any of them in the States? What are their speed times? Price? Anything at all on them would be much appreciated. Thanks.

The only difference from the C43 and C55 is that the C55 has a 5.5 litre V8 engine. Produces approx 350BHP. Thats all. Not much difference.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: Re: C55 AMG

The only difference from the C43 and C55 is that the C55 has a 5.5 litre V8 engine. Produces approx 350BHP. Thats all. Not much difference.
[:(] [:(] [:(]

Not quite true... the C43 was produced as a production line car. The C55 was built by AMG.

Besides putting in a 5.4 litre engine (the "55" series cars are 5.4 litres), AMG also tweaks a few other things that the C43 does not get. The suspension is a little different. The driveline gains quite a few changes, for instance most of it is similar to the CLK55 (beefier 2.82 rear end, R129 SL rear hubs, etc.).

Also for WyattH, the C55 was never "available" in the USA.

-s-

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
Scorchie, as usual you are correct in the technical variations, but I take issue with you ...

Scorchie, as usual you are correct in the technical variations, but I take issue with you on the C55 not being 'available' in the US - my understanding is that the C55 was born from the Formula 1 suppport cars, and that it was put into the C43 production run to satisfy the US insatiable demand for power!!!

It is difficult to find out how many were made as the C55 used the C43 chassis numbers and therefore each unit was swallowed up in this model (of which 4500 were made). In another thread below someone said there were only 21 C55s made. I cant believe it that small a number - There are definitely at least two in the UK (which cost $105k at the time...), and I know of two more in Germany.
Maybe you can embellish these figures?

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: Scorchie, as usual you are correct in the technical variations, but I take issue with you

Scorchie, as usual you are correct in the technical variations, but I take issue with you on the C55 not being 'available' in the US - my understanding is that the C55 was born from the Formula 1 suppport cars, and that it was put into the C43 production run to satisfy the US insatiable demand for power!!!

It is difficult to find out how many were made as the C55 used the C43 chassis numbers and therefore each unit was swallowed up in this model (of which 4500 were made). In another thread below someone said there were only 21 C55s made. I cant believe it that small a number - There are definitely at least two in the UK (which cost $105k at the time...), and I know of two more in Germany.
Maybe you can embellish these figures?
Although this is hardly conclusive evidence, I could add that I've never ever seen a C55 for sale in the USA! I've actually worked on at least 10 C43s here, but that proves nothing.

I won't take issue with your ascertation that they should be here, but if there was one, I would love to buy it... or even take a gander at its workings.

Since AMG have no real representation in the USA except through Mercedes dealerships, I think that would be the only channel for sales here. And if that were the channel for sales, it would also be the channel for repairs. Since I have access to some of the repair documentation for USA car, I would believe that there would exist some mention of the C55... but I've not been able to find it.

Maybe someone who actually has a C55 in the US could pop in and let us know? That would put my mind at rest!

-s-

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
I agree, the whole C55 sales channel was very odd.

The C55 was never advertised as a m...

I agree, the whole C55 sales channel was very odd.

The C55 was never advertised as a model in the UK, but a dealer did bring two in which were allegedly for 'special order'. Yet trying to place an order for one met a brick wall as the model was not available!

I too would like a C55 - it conjures up all sorts of possibilities to modify it into a definitive super car!

There are a few C55 owners in here (in fact a new owner just yesterday below - suggest you co-erce him to paying you a visit!)

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: I agree, the whole C55 sales channel was very odd. The C55 was never advertised as a m

There are a few C55 owners in here (in fact a new owner just yesterday below - suggest you co-erce him to paying you a visit!)
He has a CL55... not a C55. And those are everywhere over here!

I'm trying to find out as much as possible on the C55, as I am trying to do everything to my C43 that AMG does to C43s that they convert. At the same time, I'm trying as well to integrate most of the features found in the 2000 W202, which is primarily for me, the touch shifter.

OK, so some US C55 owner come along please...

-s-

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi...in a swedisch test of the c43 it ses in the end!

"If you are not satisfied with...

Hi...in a swedisch test of the c43 it ses in the end!

"If you are not satisfied with the c 43, AMG will happely uppgrade it to a C55 for 115000skr =15000 us dollars gaining 26new hp"

so my guess is that does ho had money orderd the engine uppgrade to there new c43 making it a c55 and therefor should it be possible for every country ho sold c43 in orderway to have change it to a c55...

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
I noticed it was a CL55 after I posted the note! So I thought aha, someone playing big b...

I noticed it was a CL55 after I posted the note! So I thought aha, someone playing big brother bragging about his Cl55 over our 202s..
If CL55s are everywhere over there, please snag one, convert it to RHD and send it to me. They are quite desirable in the UK and expensive..

If you really want to know more about the C55, there is in AMg marketing a very helpful girl, Nina Walker ([email protected])who has helped me a lot. I am sure with all the AMGs you have, she would push out the boat to get you all the history and mods detail on a C55...

·
Registered
C55 AMG
21 Posts
CL 55

Hi again,these C55 certainly get some people fired up don,t they !! I still love mine & having just had a service it feels quicker than before. On your comment on the CL 55, Mercedes in Swindon had a silver one in stock when mine was in last about 1 week ago, if you do call them speak to Mike Humber,top bloke,he sold me mine. Did you ever get rid of your 996 for the X5 ? Or did you manage to persuade her in doors of its amazing off road capability !

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kevin,
Would you be so kind as to tell us a little bit about your car? Colors, options, ...

Kevin,
Would you be so kind as to tell us a little bit about your car? Colors, options, speed, the usual.
Have you driven the 43 - compare the two??

Anything at all would be appreciated, as the other posts on this thread all contradict each other.

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
Thought you might have left the site altogether!
I am not really sure if I do want a CL -...

Thought you might have left the site altogether!
I am not really sure if I do want a CL - I have rather gone of the new MBs ever since they introduced the A class.
Re the porsche, we were all fired up to ditch the X5 idea and guess what? go for a turbo... until the other night some idiot boyfriend of someone who works for her (he wheels and deals in cars...) said the X5 is the best thing since sliced bread, so we are back on the X5 kick now. How can you compare a turbo 911 with an X5? Only a woman can...!
Drove a cooper s the other day. I could get used top one...

·
Registered
C55 AMG
21 Posts
No i have not left, just been busy.I drove past mercedes in Swindon & think the car has gone anyway.On the subject of my car Dan from Mercedes enthusiast came to home to do some shots of the car for their "C" class feature coming out probably in April,he has today sent me a disc with the pics on it so i can i will put some up. The car is green black and is currently wearing a set of 18" Carlson split rims

1 - 13 of 13 Posts