Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the ungoverned top speed is for the C43 AMG? I own a 1998 Silver C43 example which had the chip returned to AMG for reprogramming (this costs $1500) - I guess I could try myself:)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If I recall correctly, one of the C43s Car and Driver tested back in '98 or '99 didn't even reach 155mph...it was something like 152-154mph. That particular car also had a slow 0-60 time, so it might not have been a good example. However, I doubt that a strong C43 is capable of much more than 155mph.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ed - thanks for the response...this is due to its engine/top speed "governor" which is suppose to restrict the cars top speed to 155mph (due to German law?).<p>My question is does anyone know what is the *ungoverned/unrestricted* top speed for the C43 AMG? i.e. if one was to remove this governor what top speed would the car be caple of doing? I think I remember reading somewhere that it would hit 179mph.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I realize that all European sedan manufacturers limit top speeds to 155mph. My point was that the Car and Driver C43 test car topped out at less than 155mph...it didn't reach the limiter.<br>I don't think a strong ungoverned/unrestricted C43 will do much more than 155-160mph. Definitely nowhere near 179mph.<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it could (more)

well, I think the car has enought power! it has a 4.3 liters~, BIG, drinks fuels too. Even so the accelaration is not that great due to it's MASS, too heavy, but if the gear could permit, it could go the end and it all depends of the gearing.<br> EX in my M3 I drove in the 5th gear to the redline! it was something like around 240Km/h or 250km/h( sorry I live in canada, so I read in KM) I don't really remember! and the car was not even supercharged or turbocharged, it was natural aspired, so so the 4.3 liter I thikn it could go over 155 mph.<br> tell me if I'm wrong...<p> I realize that all European sedan manufacturers limit top speeds to 155mph. My point was that the Car and Driver C43 test car topped out at less than 155mph...it didn't reach the limiter.<br>I don't think a strong ungoverned/unrestricted C43 will do much more than 155-160mph. Definitely nowhere near 179mph.<p><p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
top speed 145

: well, I think the car has enought power! it has a 4.3 liters~, BIG, drinks fuels too. Even so the accelaration is not that great due to it's MASS, too heavy, but if the gear could permit, it could go the end and it all depends of the gearing.<br> EX in my M3 I drove in the 5th gear to the redline! it was something like around 240Km/h or 250km/h( sorry I live in canada, so I read in KM) I don't really remember! and the car was not even supercharged or turbocharged, it was natural aspired, so so the 4.3 liter I thikn it could go over 155 mph.<br> tell me if I'm wrong...<p> I realize that all European sedan manufacturers limit top speeds to 155mph. My point was that the Car and Driver C43 test car topped out at less than 155mph...it didn't reach the limiter.<br>I don't think a strong ungoverned/unrestricted C43 will do much more than 155-160mph. Definitely nowhere near 179mph.<p><p><p>I topped mine out stopped right @ redline @ 145 I don't know if you can continue in the red to achieve higher but I think if you could you can definitely do more it pulled strong the whole way and showed no sign of slowing down i.e. topping out etc. let me know your findings!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: top speed 145

I drove one up to 153 mph, it topped off somewhat slowly after the upper 140's and I was quite surprised it couldn't even do 155 because I read in a magazine that it would do ~168 mph without a limiter.<br> <br> This difference could not be accounted for by the slighly higher HP of the Euro model (306? instead of 302)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts