Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 C43 and the shifting seems very harsh when really getting into the gas. When it's cold the trans seems to hunt for a gear and then slams into one and the car moves out. Has anyone else experienced this type of shifting and if so, how did you correct the problem, if this is one.<br><br>
<br><br>
Thanks<br><br>
Chas

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
<br> I have A 99' and I noticed the same thing when <br> I'm on the gas and it shifts in redline it seems<br> to shift really harsh. I just think it's the way<br> the transmission was designed.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, Has anyone had it looked at by the dealer to<br> find out why it shifts in this manner? If so, what was their explanation?<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: C43 Transmission Shifting

According to my Service Advisor at the Mercedes Dealership there are problems with the 98-99 electronic transmissons, and they are starting to notice them now. If your car is under warranty I suggest you take it in. If you car is not under warranty than you will have to pay $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to get it fixed.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My C43 shifting experiences...

I have a 99 C43...I drive it very hard on the street and on the track as well. What I've found on the C43 as well as other late model Mercedes (the brand-new-with-300-miles ML320 loaner I got last time my car was being serviced had the same traits, and it's been discussed on other boards of other models as well) is this: The transmission's electronics adapt to driving style, but when the style changes quickly, the electronics seem to 'get confused'. For instance, after sitting in traffic for 20 minutes, then flooring it, the engine will wind into the rev limiter without shifting, and once the fuel is cut off just past redline, it will upshift violently because as the revs fall while the car is shifting, the fuel starts flowing again. However, while on a racetrack for 20 minutes, coming out of corner after corner at full throttle, it will upshift smoothly every time right at redline because the electronics have adapted to the driving style. <br> <br> In order to avoid the violent upshifts of the first scenario, I just let off the gas slightly as it gets close to redline in situations where I feel the transmission will be 'confused'. It will then upshift normally. I can tell when it will be a violent-fuel-cutoff upshift because the transmission will 'hunt' for a second before sending the engine into the rev limiter. I've never brought it up to the dealer, as that will just give them an excuse to drive the snot out of it for a while (only I get to do that) before telling me 'it's normal'.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: My C43 shifting experiences...

<br> That makes alot of sense. That sounds exactly<br> like what my car does. At least it's not a transmission problem.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Though your symptom sounds a bit different, my '98 C43 experienced erratic shifting at 32K miles. During spirited acceleration, the tachometer would momentarily jump up ~1K rpm in between shifts, as if the gears were 'slipping' (sorry for the non-technical description). The car would also sometimes hit the rev limiter and stay there until I let off the gas (at which point it up-shifted).<br> <br> During several visits to the MB dealer, they replaced the egs control unit, transmission, converter, etc. Thankfully, the parts and service were all under warranty.<br> <br> It runs (shifts) fine now. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Re: Re: C43 Transmission Shifting

The trans on my C43 dropped at 57,000. Pray that this doesn't happen to you. MB was unresponsive. Didn't really care that it was only 7000 miles out of warrenty. Chas, I would love to know the name of the service advisor you talked to. Maybe a could get back some of my 6000, I spent for a new rebuilt trans. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
take it in and get the transmission reprogrammed. it will amaze you how much faster it will drive. warranty covered it on both of my c43s. <p>user-38ldkif.dialup.mindspring.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
C43 Transmission Shifting reprogramming

just had my tranny reprogrammed its a bit better, before the reprogramming the sometimes it would hold at redline if i floored it after driving smooth then give me a violent up shift now no hesitation but still a rough first shift but my advisor says a newer version is comming in for me next week a friend of mine has this in his and he loves it and has shaved 2/10's on his 0-60 with the new program IF YOU HAVE A C43 EVEN IF IT SHIFTS FINE GET THE NEW CHIP IT IS FREE AND MAKES YOUR CAR BETTER!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is verry simple,<br> Since I got my C43 I felt the same, but the solution is verry easy. <br> I usually, change the program to S (summer) to W (winter) and reverce, (minimun once a month). <br> Additionally, I almost always use the C43 o W, and when I want to push harder I just change S, and no problem.<br> Well, I do believe that this is a nice way to take care of my transmition.<br> Bye<br> Pierre 43///AMG

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: C43 Transmission Shifting reprogramming

Do you have any Part Numbers or specific Mercedes Technical Advisory type numbers? The dealer I deal with isn't very good and will probably tell me that there is no such replacement options.<br> <br> I have a '99 c43.<br> <br> What kind of 0-60 are you guys getting on your c43? Are they stock?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did MB send out a service advisory about this? If so, where can i get info on it. My 98 C43 is doing they same but i don't think the service center will cover it if they haven't heard about it.

·
Registered
97 C36 AMG 98 C43
10 Posts
Another solution that I have tried is to toggle the W-S button back and forth and then d...

Another solution that I have tried is to toggle the W-S button back and forth and then drive the car. using the switch will reset some settings in the transmisson and hopefully help the problem. I fixed a car that would get shut off by the rev limiter in between shifts this way. I will toggle my WS switch on the transmission on my car every once in a while to prevent problems. My car snaps when it shifts and I am quite happy with the transmission.

·
Registered
C43, E320, G500
67 Posts
C43 Transmission Failure

I thought I had it bad. My transmission on my 98 C43 just dropped at 80K. I e-mailed MB about this and received absolutely no response. All the marketing crap about dependability and reliability is [email protected]#!. I have cars from other manufacturers that are now over 100,000 miles with no problems, including a classic Datsun 280Z. I was considering to buy an E55, but I think I'll pass for awhile. This really pissed me off. I'm very much disappointed. I was getting ready to get it supercharged. I was expecting better quality cars from MB. BMW here I come.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just got my car back from the dealer after telling them in great detail about what I and...

I just got my car back from the dealer after telling them in great detail about what I and another 15 C43 owners have noticed. They gave the car back to me with the following description on the work order.

Was not able to duplicate customer stated problem, no action taken. Test-drove, outcome, fine.

I think I will print these pages out and kindly ass possible push it in their face.
[}:)]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts