Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have any information for you, but I too am interested....

I don't have any information for you, but I too am interested.

·
Registered
C 43
8 Posts
Dear Wyatt, thanks for the reply.

By way of a bit of background, I`ve done quite a bit ...

Dear Wyatt, thanks for the reply.

By way of a bit of background, I`ve done quite a bit of checking re upgrading the car & as a starting point initially approached MB AMG in Germany who confirmed they are prepared to upgrade the car to a genuine C55 for some 25,400 euros plus shipping, insurances, etc etc. I discussed options with them to avoid sending the car over....unfortuantely they refuse to export a kit, notwithstanding I would have MB in Australia undertake the works.

This has led to exploring supercharging the 4.3L & I`m currently assessing various types...Lysholm type seem to be the best option. We don't seem to have a lot of people in Australia supercharging MB. I`m also assessing various manufacturers & will keep you posted. I'm absolutely sure someone in the USA would have the requisite know how...if you have any leads it would be appreciated.

Cheers in the meantime.

John.

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
Kleeman is your best route.
If you are intent on going down this road, and from experienc...

Kleeman is your best route.
If you are intent on going down this road, and from experience it has big time headaches, then don't mess around, get Kleeman to do the whole thing rather than attempt it yourselves as there is too much to consider.
Spirit is another consideration, but read up on the various methods of kompressing. Because of Kleeman's technology, they are able to work to a minimum of pressure which is an obvious saving on the bearing load - a very important factor if you are looking to the long term.
Highly unlikely that AMG would even consider send you any kits. They will only custom build in their premises.
Make sure you insurance company is well aware, and I mean well aware - get a written reply from them that they acknowledge the modification...

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Who makes the supercharger for the C230k? It might be possible to have one taken off of th...

Who makes the supercharger for the C230k? It might be possible to have one taken off of them, and adapted for your V8. I want to do it, but I want my engine to last. Buying a new one would be a pain.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: Who makes the supercharger for the C230k? It might be possible to have one taken off of th

Who makes the supercharger for the C230k? It might be possible to have one taken off of them, and adapted for your V8. I want to do it, but I want my engine to last. Buying a new one would be a pain.
I believe the supercharger for the C230K (the W202 version right?) is an IHI, built under license from Lysholm.

My understanding is that the flow of this supercharger is probably not high enough to bring the C43 to significant boost.

If you would like to play around, there's plenty of room for a centrifugal supercharger, mounted where the airbox is on the I6 engines. This would be an easier experiment than fitting a twin-screw under the hood, seeing that the current intake gets in the way of mounting it between the heads.

-s-

·
Registered
C 43
8 Posts
Thanks J62105...no teacher like experience. In your opinion, without compromising anything...

Thanks J62105...no teacher like experience. In your opinion, without compromising anything in terms of reliability, if Kleeman were to have carriage of the upgrade, what increase in performance could be expected?

By the way, as I`m based in Australia, I would hope Kleeman have an office here. If not, would you have any other comments / recommendations ?

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
Forget the 230 kompressor - it will not do at all, and besides it would need modification ...

Forget the 230 kompressor - it will not do at all, and besides it would need modification to fit - the very thing you should stay well away from!
The ONLY way is using someone who has spent money in putting a kit together and back it up - to me this is ONLY Kleeman...

Suggest you call Kleeman - they do not list a dealer in Auz, but may well send out a kit to a recognised dealer - www.kleeman.dk

As to performance, the std C43 is some 302 hp. The Kleeman G4 should take it up to 450. Lets face it, you do not need much more than that.
When I had my 280 supercharged I got an easy 310hp, which gave me 0-60 in 5 odd secs. With the power/weight ratio you would have I reckon you will get 0-60 4 secs and a bit without changing the rear diff. But maybe you are doing long trips? Then I would consider changing the diff to a 2.8, still good take off time, but a much high mph per rpm, which would make the C43 a dream between cities - I certainly wish I had such a set up driving between Darwin and Alice many years ago instead of a beat up Falcon ute...

Again, my advice is not to go it alone!!

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
J62105: Thanks. That info is very much appreciated! 450 rwhp??? WHOA! I am considering it ...

J62105: Thanks. That info is very much appreciated! 450 rwhp??? WHOA! I am considering it more than ever now. How much do you expect the full job to cost? Is it safe and reliable?

THANKS!
Wy

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
J62105 - That link didn't work![:I]...

J62105 - That link didn't work![:I]

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, I desperately want info on the S/C. I can't stop dreaming of my C43 with 450hp. That ...

Wow, I desperately want info on the S/C. I can't stop dreaming of my C43 with 450hp. That idea is mind and soul warming!

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
Try typing the link in on your address bar:
http://www.kleeman.dk if this hyperlink does ...

Try typing the link in on your address bar:
http://www.kleeman.dk if this hyperlink does not take you there...or search kleeman in google.
There are loads of dealers in the States, and I understand from Kleeman quite a few C43s already done.
Cannot comment on price, as you and us have vastly differing costs on things.

Kevin Waters had a quote of £16k (approx $24k) for his C55 which will use the same G4 kompressor - so its not a price for the faint hearted.
The G3 (for the V6) is $11k over here, fully fitted which is not too bad - but thats the price you pay for those extra two cylinders!

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
$24,000? Whoa. I think I will pass.. Yikes.

I didn't realize you were in the UK, sorry...

$24,000? Whoa. I think I will pass.. Yikes.

I didn't realize you were in the UK, sorry.

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
I'd still check it out with a US dealer - prices are stupid, sometimes we pay too much (wh...

I'd still check it out with a US dealer - prices are stupid, sometimes we pay too much (which is most of the time).
I am sure though it will be at least $15k - you are not going to buy 150 extra hp cheaply! But the end result will give you a car that will out perform most Porsches, and start to chase the motor bikes without any external evidence that you able to!
The other good thing about a Kompressor is that you can take it off easily, move it to another car and the car you just sold will have no indication it has been beefed up.

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
$15,000 I would still consider. 450 hp in my car would be so amazing. I would spank E46 M3...

$15,000 I would still consider. 450 hp in my car would be so amazing. I would spank E46 M3's, Carreras, and so many other cars. All at the same time appearing like a normal AMG (and to the novices, a normal C-Class). You must remove trunk badges!

I am having trouble find their site. Typing KLEEMAN in google gave me many office firms with people named Kleeman, first..... Typing in KLEEMAN and than another key word gave me 0 results.

Any suggestions on finding their website? Everything I know about it, I have learned on here. It is most deffinantly something I would pursue...

Would you be able to buy a warranty from Mercedes if the car passes Starmark credentials?
Is it a Kleeman S/C used in the new 55's with 493 hp?

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Helps if people spell it properly!

http://www.kleemann.dk/

-s-

Helps if people spell it properly!

http://www.kleemann.dk/

-s-

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I emailed 4 of the US dealers this afternoon. I asked for specific specs, and a price quot...

I emailed 4 of the US dealers this afternoon. I asked for specific specs, and a price quote. I am interested in seeing what they say.

On their website, it says the stock 500 engine produces 400 torque. I thought it was closer to 302? Hmm.

for a stock 279hp/400torque car, the kompressor takes it to 430 hp/560torque.

We should be around 450 hp and 460 torque. Oh my god, I can't even imagine my car with that muscle.[8D]

·
Registered
C 43
8 Posts
Supercharging C43

Wyatt...John here from sydney Australia...have contaced Kleemann in the States who cant help me...perhaps if you spoke to someone on the ground over there, there may be a way forward of me importing a kit & having the work done here by a prefered installer...seems that noone in Australia has the requisite franchise from Kleeman.

Please keep me in mind.

·
Registered
C 43
8 Posts
WyattH, set out below is a copy of corresondence between myself & Kleeman USA...unfortunat...

WyattH, set out below is a copy of corresondence between myself & Kleeman USA...unfortunately they dont seem to be able to help me, however they should be able to assist you...certainly seem very positive & on top of their game...note, correspondence in reverse date order.

"John-
There is currently only one C43 in the US that has the KLEEMANN kompressor. The C43 uses the same engine as any other 430 series car, but the only difference is it has "hotter" camshafts. Unfortunately, this camshaft setup does nothing on a forced induction car, so the power is the same as any other 430 car: 430HP, 401 lbs/ft. of torque. Even so, that's a HUGE amount of power for a W202 chassis C-Class, which is relatively small, and lightweight. I would imagine a 0-60 time of at least 4.9 seconds (Car and Driver magazine tested our CLK43 K at 4.9) and a 1/4 mile time in the mid 13's, if not lower. Traction becomes the issue with that much power.
At any rate, I wish you luck with finding someone who is willing to strike a deal with KLEEMANN A/S, and just let me know if you have any other questions!

Best Regards-

Cory Umemoto
Technical Manager
KLEEMANN USA, INC.
2845 Ore Mill Road #7
Colorado Springs, Co. 80904
Tel: 719.473.6441
Fax: 719.578.034

Attention: This email is intended for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information. No one is authorized to copy or re-use this email or any information contained in it. If you are not the intended recipient, we request that you please notify us by reply email and destroy all copies of the message and any attachments. Thank you for your cooperation
----- Original Message -----
To: 'KLEEMANN'
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 5:52 PM
Subject: RE: Mercedes Benz C43 AMG...Kleeman supercharging.

Thanks Cory…appreciate you taking the time to reply…have emailed Denmark & hope for a positive response.

By the way, have you supercharged many C43s & would you know what level of performance increase to expect, including likely time for 0-60 mph.

Cheers.

John Briggs.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, 15 March 2003 1:39 AM
To: Karen Briggs
Subject: Re: Mercedes Benz C43 AMG...Kleeman supercharging.

John-

Thank You for contacting KLEEMANN USA!! Unfortunately, KLEEMANN USA does not distribute KLEEMANN products in Australia.

The KLEEMANN kompressor system for your C43 can only be purchased and installed by a KLEEMANN trained facility. Although this is basically a bolt-on system, it does require special training, as well as a few special tools.

I really couldn't recommend any facility in Australia to you, and even if I did know of one, they would have to setup distribution rights with KLEEMANN A/S, the parent company of KLEEMANN USA. KLEEMANN A/S is located in Denmark, and handles all new distribution requests across the world. You can contact KLEEMANN A/S directly for more information on possible distribution facilities in your area. Go to www.kleemanndk.com and you will find all the contact information you will need.

Again, Thank You for you interest in our line of superior tuning products!

Best Regards-

Cory Umemoto
Technical Manager
KLEEMANN USA, INC.
2845 Ore Mill Road #7
Colorado Springs, Co. 80904
Tel: 719.473.6441
Fax: 719.578.0345

Attention: This email is intended for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information. No one is authorized to copy or re-use this email or any information contained in it. If you are not the intended recipient, we request that you please notify us by reply email and destroy all copies of the message and any attachments. Thank you for your cooperation

----- Original Message -----

To: [email protected]

Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2003 11:44 PM

Subject: Mercedes Benz C43 AMG...Kleeman supercharging.

Hello…I`m wanting to supercharge my C43 & have been advised Kleeman are the best option.

I`m based in Sydney Australia & presume I would have to purchase a kit from you & have the installation done by someone reputable here.

Would this be possible & would you perhaps also know of a quality installer who may be familiar with your good product.

Also, could you perhaps give me an idea as to cost.

Thanks.

John Briggs."

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok. I contacted the 4 US dealers. They told me what's up. Kits are normally around $14,500...

Ok. I contacted the 4 US dealers. They told me what's up. Kits are normally around $14,500, with labor being about $1,500. They told me since I would have to ship my car to the dealer (none near me in Seattle), that they would deduct $300. I will consider this down the road. Hp expected between 420-450. That'd be too cool.

Johnno: I am not sure how to help you. I would guess you could order the kit from any dealer here, and find somebody in Aus. to install it, just not sure who... If I can assist you in any other way, be sure to ask.

So now everybody knows the real scoop on Kleemann...!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts