Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
C-43 AMG
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a C43 Amg. I love the car but it has a problem starting every once in a while. This has become a huge inconvenience. I tested the starter and battery. The car turns over but gets no gas or spark. The problem is intermittent so the shop I take it to can't find it. They say, "It starts for us." It's really pissing me off. Any suggestions on what the problem is and a good bay area shop that will help find it at any cost? I don't know where to start and am discouraged to drive the car for fear of it failing.

·
Registered
99 C43 AMG
5 Posts
Relay problem

I've had an intermittent "no start" on rare occasions with my '99 C43, and have noticed that the relay sometimes fails to engage when the start module is docked (aka "key" inserted in ignition.) Removing and reinserting after a five-count usually clears the problem. If it persists try a new battery, or pull out the old battery from inside the unit and clean the contacts carefully with a Q-tip and alcohol. If this doesn't work, I'd spring for a new relay "key."

·
Registered
C-43 AMG
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After much frustration I finally located the problem. It was a bad crankshaft sensor. I ...

After much frustration I finally located the problem. It was a bad crankshaft sensor. I found a great mechanic who fixed it within 1 hr. He says that it happens to almost all c-43's. I tried replacing the key first though and that was not the problem. $278 got me a new crankshaft sensor and I was on my way. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
CL500, E430, SLK, Subaru...
648 Posts
How many miles...

...on your C43? I'm used to bad crank sensors in other cars (the old joke about Citroen CXes and worn starter ring gears, because the sensor runs off a low tooth in the ring gear... oyyy vey!), but I wasn't aware of any common failures on the 4.3 AMG engine. Mine's at 73k and running better than ever, due to lots of long-distance work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts