Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Saxo VTS 16v
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im 24 years old in january (and yes i want a merc), currently drive a saxo vts, which as been fun, but its time to move up in the world, and ive come across these 2 beasts, ive mentioned it to my friends who seem to just laugh at me and think im getting old, but im really into mercs since my boss had a CLK55AMG !

had an insurance quote on a 1998 C43 AMG today and its only £1550.85 Fully Comp, which i consider very cheap for the car i would get !

basically what are the differences between the C36 and the C43 except engine size ?

what are the things i need to look out for when buyin one ?

And major faults ?

I fancy a black or silver one C43 :)

on 18" AMG Wheels

·
Registered
CL500, E430, SLK, Subaru...
648 Posts
From Saxo to...

If I were you I'd strongly consider stopping off with an Activa Turbo before you go on to a 43: one C43 is about 3.5 Saxos and you really don't want to get caught out on the handling. You can tweak Activa Turbos like mad, and people don't see them coming...

But seriously: the C36 has four speeds, not five. They are alleged to be better made, because they were handbuilt; personally I think they are fussier than the C43(odd wheel-arch lips) and I've seen a few around in states of decay - tappety sounding heads and dinged panels. There are a few more toys for the C43 interior, and the C43 orthopaedic seats are a lot nicer than the standard 36 seats, if you're very tall, like me.

There's some guy up in Edinburgh who keeps putting his C36 on Ebay for about eight grand - might be worth a sniff around...

·
Registered
2002 Saxo VTS 16v
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
been lookin at the C43 more now, they are so sexy, me mates think im a joke but what the...

been lookin at the C43 more now, they are so sexy, me mates think im a joke but what the hell !

i reckon, a silver C43 with 18"AMG ALLOYS WHICH THE OUTER RIM ON THE ALLOYS TO GET POLISHED AND LOWERED about 40mm

anyone got any nice pics

Attachments

·
Registered
1997 C36 AMG
53 Posts
Re: From Saxo to...

If I were you I'd strongly consider stopping off with an Activa Turbo before you go on to a 43: one C43 is about 3.5 Saxos and you really don't want to get caught out on the handling. You can tweak Activa Turbos like mad, and people don't see them coming...

But seriously: the C36 has four speeds, not five. They are alleged to be better made, because they were handbuilt; personally I think they are fussier than the C43(odd wheel-arch lips) and I've seen a few around in states of decay - tappety sounding heads and dinged panels. There are a few more toys for the C43 interior, and the C43 orthopaedic seats are a lot nicer than the standard 36 seats, if you're very tall, like me.

There's some guy up in Edinburgh who keeps putting his C36 on Ebay for about eight grand - might be worth a sniff around...

Let me clarify

Aside to the C43 has 4.3L V-6 and C36 has 3.6L I-6

Here is US spec
95 C36 AMG 4 speed auto 268hp/280lb-ft old style steering wheel, old style climate control
96 C36 AMG 4 speed auto 268hp/280lb-ft old style steering wheel, new style climate control
97 C36 AMG 5 speed auto 276hp/284lb-ft new style steering wheel, new style climate control

98 C43 AMG 5 speed auto 302hp/302lb-ft new style steering wheel, new style climate control
99 C43 AMG 5 speed auto 302hp/302lb-ft new style steering wheel, new style climate control (Xenon Headlight offered as option)
00 C43 AMG 5 speed (tiptronic P,R,N,D,+,-)302hp/302lb-ft new style steering wheel, new style climate control (Xenon Headlight offered as option)

Visual interior different:
Bacially the seat on C43 has newer design some came with 2 tone Black with white leather insert.
And C43 has the 13 way adjustable(with adjustable)lumbar support Orthopedic seat.

And by the way this is my car you posted ;)

You can check out more picture of my car at www.bnzsport.com and www.club202.com
(you can also check out those website for as well as www.mbworld.org for additional known problem on C36 and C43 ;) )

Hope this helps

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
C36 AMG
3 Posts
PIE CJ - 11/30/2003 11:52 AM

im 24 years old in january (and yes i want a merc), currently drive a saxo vts, which as been fun, but its time to move up in the world, and ive come across these 2 beasts, ive mentioned it to my friends who seem to just laugh at me and think im getting old, but im really into mercs since my boss had a CLK55AMG !

had an insurance quote on a 1998 C43 AMG today and its only £1550.85 Fully Comp, which i consider very cheap for the car i would get !

basically what are the differences between the C36 and the C43 except engine size ?

what are the things i need to look out for when buyin one ?

And major faults ?

I fancy a black or silver one C43 :)

on 18" AMG Wheels
Hi,

I took the plunge with a C36 in July and I don't regret it for one second...I used to own an Audi A4 2.8 quattro and although it was newer and better appointed inside than the C36 (digital climate control etc) and had 4x4 but it just didn't sound like the benz..[:D] (like a NASCAR in certain circumstances).

One thing I will say is that it was a huge culture shock for me because I thought i'd be used to the power but nothing prepared me for the sheer brutal forces at work at the back wheels [:0] So coming from a Saxo is gonna be a totally different world, it will 'Bite back' if you provoke it, especially if you pick up one like mine *without* traction control LOL

Not all C36's are in tatty condition these days, and they aren't all 4-speed either. Mine is a 5-speed and when I bought it it had just 55k up.

I guess to sum up, you should consider 2 things:

Fuel economy, a C36 is kinder on the wallet (marginally LOL).

Handling, a C43 is naturally gonna be heavier with a V8.

Servicing, prices vary hugely, main dealers are [as always] expensive. Transmission fluid needs changing roughly every 50k and the brakes are pricey when they need doing (fronts are 13-inches across and nearly 1000 quid a pair). I had the rears done on mine and paid 600 quid...[:(]

I can't really thing of anything else, if you buy one you won't regret it, I love it to bits and wouldn't change it now for the world....[:)]

Hope that helps...

Simon

·
Registered
89 300TE
290 Posts
I think the C43 is nicer, the bodykit is more modern and so is the interior, it just looks more pleasant. The C36 is a better handler though, since the V8 is heavier. But to me, the V8 has the C36 aurally beat

·
Premium Member
2006 S350 SWB; 1991 300CE; MB diesel sprinter van; 1999 AMG-C43 (sold); 1978 450SLC (sold)
99 Posts
C43 is actually lighter than C36, I assume due to alloy engine in C43. This is from the MBUSA.com website-

1999 C43: Curb weight 3,448 lb/1,564 kg

1997 C36: Curb weight 3,550 lb/1,610 kg

·
Registered
C36 C43
98 Posts
Yes
After owning both i have some insight

C43 is lighter than C36 due to Alum block in 43 and Steel block in 36.

36 is a much more tuned engine than 43.

36 originated as a 2.8 I-6 and is stroked- bored and has performance cams etc.

THe 43 is just a V-8 used in the E430s and has minimal tuning from AMG such as dual intakes and exhuast etc.
C36 0-60 is 5.9-6.4 5.9 being the 1997 C36 with the 5 spd tranny and 276 HP instead of 268 in the 95-96 C36 which also has one less gear 4spd.

C43 0-60 is 5.8 not much of a diffrence at all, but C43 is much more tunable.

C43 u can get a S/C like Moebuisgold has

C36 a Turbo system from mosselman

C43 and C36 gas milage is close to the same, but with an AMG i found my self flooring it all the time in my 1995 C36 and my 1998 C43 so WOT ruined my gas miloage anyways

My thoughts on 43 and 36.

the C36 is more original, its the first AMG-MBNZ car in production. Very tuned engine, nice I-6 scream at WOT. Best body kit. Really a AMG masterpeice

the C43 is a V-8 (alot is said in that) It has 302 HP and 302 trq. Not much more than 36 but i feel it is noticable. C43 is updated. I dont really like the body kit as much though. Mercedes V-8 sound is prime and i quiver when i hear it!

In the end

C36 looks better, engine get more attention and respect from me

C43 updated, faster, better sounding, V8

I got a C36 because i could not afford a C43 but then when prices went down i purchased one

Hope this helps u

I hope this is of help to you

·
Registered
C36 C43
98 Posts
Oh yes i almost forgot

C36 has these problems

MAF problems

O2 sensor

wire harness

Head gasket

1997 c36 has 722 tranny 5sp problems

C43

has 722 5sp tranny problems

MAF problems

perhaps a few others i havent run into any yet

·
Registered
'05 330i ZHP
1,036 Posts
The 36 is as tuned as it gets. Take the 43 to Brabus or AMG, and let them bore it out to 6 liters. Those eights were built with lots of reserves, im surprised they didnt take the 5.0l, basically the same engine, bored out a bit. They made an E50, so IMHO they should have also done a C50, although the E would be in lower demand then.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts