Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,<br><br>
<br><br>
I am thinking of buying a 99/00 C43 here in the UK, but was hoping that some of you guys could tell me what they are actually like in all weather conditions?<br><br>
I know it has ESP + ASR, but in real life, are they a nightmare on slippery roads? I have read the one posting about a C43 going up a snowy hill, but couldn't find any more info.<br><br>
I used to have a 98 C240 Sport (2.4 V6 - 170bhp), which had ASR, and was reasonably good in the wet and ice, but can't imagine how adding another 130BHP would affect it!!<br><br>
<br><br>
Any advice would be much appreciated.<br><br>
<br><br>
Thanks,<br><br>
Ed.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You will have to change the tires to smaller ones for snow and ice oter wise a C43 is helpless. I know from experience I live in upstate NY snows like crazy. With the stock wheels and tires I consider my C43 a very expensive paper weight.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: C43 - OK for year round use? - YES

Hi Ed<br> <br> The C43 performs very well in all weather conditions. Due to ESP + ASR the C43 performs very well on wet roads (at least with Michelins). Handling is not a problem at all.<br> <br> For the winter season it is very important to use winter tires on smaller wheels (17' x 7.5). When driving on snowy roads never forget to drive in the transmission´s winter modus (W). In the winter modus the transmission does not shift into 1st gear what prevents wheel spinning.<br> <br> Toni

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How bad is the weather in UK during the winter?

The c43 isn't a ferrari. It'll run fine all year round. Just continue with the maintanence. Also, do you guys in the UK have c55 AMGs? If so, could you post some pics if you have any. thanks

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: C43 - OK for year round use?

Thanks Jeff - I appreciate the advice.<br> <br> I think I'll investigate the snow tyre option to avoid having a C43 on my study desk over the winter months!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Useless in snow with normal Z-rated tires. I had to abandon my C43 on the roadside and hitchhike home after a surprise 3 inch spring snow in North Carolina (Michelin Pilot Sports with good tread). Unable to get up even small hills with Good Samaritans pushing and even with ESP turned off -- wheels either spun or went dangerously sideways (oncoming SUVs charging through made life too interesting).<br> <br> Primary culprit was the standard aggressive, wide Z-rated tires, although the C43's rear-wheel power didn't help. To use a C43 in winter conditions, change out wheels ( to a narrower size) and get Blizzaks or Alpins.<br> <br> If only rain is the problem, then winter use of Z-rated tires is fine; just be careful in conditions that might cause hydroplaning and go slower.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: C43 - OK for year round use?

I too am looking into a C43 here in Germany to bring back to the States when I come home. :) Having had a C220 back in the states I can say that the MB rear drivers are ok but like someone else said, just take it easy. Heh...ever drive a BMW in the winter? I spun my 7 series out twice on the Autobahn...that's a horrible winter car. Talk about swallowing your heart!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: Re: C43 - OK for year round use?

It's not the car, but rather the tires/wheels. Wide wheels with Z-rated tires are useless in snow. Even powerful rear-wheel cars can handle snow with narrower wheels and winter tires such as Blizzaks or Alpins.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: C43 - OK for year round use? -> NO

I concur with everyone who posted before.<br> <br> I have one. I used to live in Hoboken, just over the river from NYC, where one can live quite well without a car. It's very urban, and street cleaning is not a problem. To be quite honest, if at all possible, I'd still avoid using the car if there was even a mist of snow on the ground. The tires on the car are by no means even acceptable in the snow. <br> <br> Why once, my wife couldn't even back the car out over nicly packed snow from the open-air parking lot we used to park in. I had to go out and help her get out of the parking lot! No other car in the parking lot had a problem like that.<br> <br> However, in all other weather, the car's quite awesome with a high degree of 'fun factor', even over the E55 AMG (there's more 'drama' during spirited driving in the C43). Put different tires on the car in the Winter, and I believe it would be a differnt story (which I'll be doing myself this year because I move very far away from the urban area where I lived before.)<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Re: C43 - OK for year round use? -> NO

Hi everyone,<br> <br> just wanted to say thanks very much for all the advice - it seems there's a bit of a theme developing here that winter tyres are a must. It's not something that I had really thought of before, but I am definately going to look into it now!!<br> <br> Thanks,<br> <br> Ed.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Re: Re: C43 - OK for year round use?

Erik,<br> good luck finding a C43 - I know here in the UK there are only 18 for sale at Merc dealers across the whole country!!<br> <br> I know of someone who used to have a BMW 740 and would only use his wife's 1-litre Corsa in the winter to avoid doing 180's every few miles!<br> <br> Ed.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Re: Re: C43 - OK for year round use? -> NO

I have a '97 C36 and live used my car in Calgary Alberta last winter. Any hint if snow or ice and the Z's are deadly. I installed 205-55-16 Michelin pilot alpins on wheels from my '98 E Class and the car was reasonable around town in the snow. There's still too much power even with ASR but you can get around. I don't know what it would be like on the highway in the snow at highway speed! Cheers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts