Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 C43
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two months ago I bought a 1999 silver C43 with 35,500 miles. Just a few days after I bought the car I noticed that it shaked at about 80mph. Since then I have:

-Replaced two bent rims
-Replaced front tires(one tire had radial runout)
-Replaced front control arm bushing
-Replaced steering damper
-Four wheel alignment
-Tires balanced more times than I can remember
-I checked the brake disk for runout, seems ok

After completing each of these items, the vibration diminished in strength, but persisted. Has anyone had this kind of experience with this car? At this point the guys at NTB and the MB dealer and I have seen far too much of each other. Any help or ideas on this subject would be a great help and much appreciated.

·
Registered
'97 C280 Sport
10 Posts
Have you had any components of the drivetrain checked out? If the problem disappears if y...

Have you had any components of the drivetrain checked out? If the problem disappears if you take your foot off of the accelerator, 99% chance that's where the problem lies, even if that's not the case, it still could be causing the vibration. I had a vibration problem when I got above 60, turned out the flex disk had become warped. Anyway, so ya, the problem could be with something other than the wheels/tires and suspension, which looks like the only thing you've had looked at. Good luck.

·
Registered
1999 C43
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shakes continued

Thank you for the response. I have yet another appointment with my MB tech tomorrow morning. I will bring up these ideas. I fear that my expectations may be higher than the dealers on exactly how my C43 is supposed to feel. Thanks again.

·
Registered
AMG C43 T-Model
3 Posts
shaky C43

Hi Jim, I have the same problem. I agree to check the transmission and also check the rubbers which fix transmission box and engine. What I noticed beside of that, is that AMG's seem to be quite sensible on Pirelli tires (Had this problem on my C43 as well as on the SL). No problem with Michelin Pilot on C43.
Otherwise, NO PROBLEM with the C43, I have big fun with my "Taxi" (here in switzerland are many cabs C-class T-Models...)
Hope it helps
Dani

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
Have you by any chance spaced the wheels?
I had the same when I spaced the wheels half an...

Have you by any chance spaced the wheels?
I had the same when I spaced the wheels half an inch either side - tried everything from balancing to the drive train.
Sorted it by tightening the front wheel bearing nut half a turn!
I am since told that 17 and 18 '' AMG wheels do not like being off centre...

·
Registered
1999 C43
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shakes Cured

After more work at the dealership the shakes are gone. The car performed greatly on my drive from Massachusetts to California.

Jim

·
Registered
2000 E320S4M
1,945 Posts
Re: Shakes Cured

After more work at the dealership the shakes are gone. The car performed greatly on my drive from Massachusetts to California.

Jim

What was the final cure?

·
Registered
C36 AMG
4 Posts
C43 Shaking

Jim,

Have you checked your springs on the front two wheels? If not get them checked out. Believe it or not this is a common problem with the AMG's. It might not be quite visible, but have them thoroughly checked out. It might have been broken which is causing the shakes. Get this checked out ASAP as if is damaged you are dangering yourself as the axel at anytime will rip off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts