Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
C43, NSX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still on the fence and am looking for feedback from those who have made this suspension modification. Answers to the below would be appresicated:
How much 'stiffer' do the H&R's feel?
...even better, anybody have spring rate #s to compare?
How much negative camber do the springs add and
can it be tuned out/returned to spec?
How well is the AMG shock matched for progressive springs or will they need to be replaced?
Any specific pad recomendations?

Thanks in advance.
Chris

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Hi, I've had H&R and Eibach. I currently have Eibach on my C43.

Neither the H&R or Eib...

Hi, I've had H&R and Eibach. I currently have Eibach on my C43.

Neither the H&R or Eibach's felt more stiff than the C43 (to me). It could be that both of those have a greater progressive rate than the stock springs (the stock springs are NOT AMGs, they are just off-the-shelf Mercedes springs, that AMG picked... and they are also progressive rate as well).

The amount of lowering and the amount of change to the suspension can vary, so the questions about change to camber and if it can be adjusted out can't be answered until you try it on your car. If you don't have the repair bolts installed, the suspension will definitely not be able to be returned to spec. This also applies to your question about specific pad recommendations.

Finally, I have been using the OEM Bilsteins which seem up to par of handling the H&Rs or Eibachs, and that may be because the OEM springs were stiffer in the preload.

-s-

·
Registered
C43, NSX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are the other choices for springs?

So my impression is that ride height is the only benefit from either of these springs. OK, but that isn't all that I am looking (no pun intended)for.
Anybody have any experience with the AMG or others?

Repair bolts can then increase the camber (+) adjustment of a 'low' ride height. Correct?
I will need to learn more about adding this to the mix. Negative camber is nice at the track, but this is a daily driver and I don't want to kill tires any quicker than I already do.

Any other feedback or recomendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Premium Member
2006 S350 SWB; 1991 300CE; MB diesel sprinter van; 1999 AMG-C43 (sold); 1978 450SLC (sold)
99 Posts
Croni,
I've got H&R with the stock shocks, this is how I bought the car (have the stock...

Croni,
I've got H&R with the stock shocks, this is how I bought the car (have the stock springs in boxes just in case I need them).

I love this setup on any fast roads, highway or nice twisties. I hate this setup on the downtown roads, riddled with potholes and such )and I live downtown so this kind of sucks. Also it is touch and go with 4 people in the car.

I spend a lot of time wondering if I should go stock or not, but like you I don't know exactly what the other setup would feel like. Really don't want to go thorugh all of the trouble to change over just to try it, but that is most likely what I will do.

·
Registered
c36
14 Posts
RE: C43: AMG to H&R springs

I too am struggling to improve my c36 suspension woes.

I live in an area with poor road surfaces and find the suspension feels a little harsh at times. I have been pnodering on a suspension upgrade to improve the ride. I had Eibach on my 190E which were great, but as the springs are AMG I was uncertain if Eibach or H&R would be replacing with pretty much the same.

I too am not aiming to lower the car as a prime directive, but it is pretty cool scraping the tarmac [:D]

I contacted Carlsson and asked for their input as the prokit RS9 adjustable system is pretty expensive at £1200 ($2000 USD). It would appear that Carlsson kit will be based on Eibach custome springs with Carlsson spec manufacture and adjustable Bilstien shock made to Carlsson spec again. It is not possible to buy these direct from the manufacturer as they are only made for Carlsson.

However, I am still uncertain the best root to follow seeking VFM and an improvement on the stock setup.

Mine has covered 80k miles and is probably past its best. But what will be the best replacement strategy?

Any suggestions?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts