Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 and a 96 C36 and I noticed a ticking sound coming from the front of the engine on both cars.I happen to work for a big M.B. dealer and the shop forman wants to Tear my front cover off and replace everything.I just wanted to see if anyone else had come across this problem.By the way I checked on the price of the intake variable cam adjuster and got a HUGH shock. It was 894.00 dealer cost! According to M.B. its not a common problem thank god.<p>SS118-226.jacksonville.net

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: It just maybe your cat. It's normal, not just Benzes, but almost all cars in General.

I've got a 95 C36 and the same thing happened to me! Had that replaced along with the 02 sensor i think. Mucho denairo's!<br> <br> <p>cr856213-a.mtnk1.on.wave.home.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: It just maybe your cat. It's normal, not just Benzes, but almost all cars in General.

My 1995 C36 makes the same ticking sound, mostly at idle. Advised it is normal - but dont think so. Advise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
my c36 made a ticking noise to and i took it to the dealer and it had something to do wi...

my c36 made a ticking noise to and i took it to the dealer and it had something to do with the cam adjuster or someting. The car still makes a little ticking noise but it's normal because it has a lot of power in a a little engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts

If it's the cat, then the ticking noise will occur when you shut down the engine.

If the ticking noise only occur when the engine is on, it is definitely not the catalytic converter.

I did have the ticking noise in my C36, it was pretty bad. I changed couple stuffs and I notice the ticking noise is much better.

·
Registered
C36 AMG
4 Posts
I have a 95 and a 96 C36 and I noticed a ticking sound coming from the front of the engine on both cars.I happen to work for a big M.B. dealer and the shop forman wants to Tear my front cover off and replace everything.I just wanted to see if anyone else had come across this problem.By the way I checked on the price of the intake variable cam adjuster and got a HUGH shock. It was 894.00 dealer cost! According to M.B. its not a common problem thank god.<p>SS118-226.jacksonville.net
I had the same problem on my C36 and when i had it diagnosed, it was the tappetts. Had to change 36 of them and reduced the noise dramatically. Check this out.

·
Registered
98 mecedes c43
69 Posts
i have a c43 with the same problem but its noraml all mercedes fuel injectors do that (tol...

i have a c43 with the same problem but its noraml all mercedes fuel injectors do that (told by 2 different M-B dealers) because i also have a 03 c320 and a 01 e320 and they had the same sound since i took them off the showroom floor.

·
Registered
c36 amg
11 Posts
c36 ticking noise

I have a '96 C36 and have been advised that the ticking/rattly noise is normal for a C36. As the engine has to perform harder the springs they use are stiffer to make the bits and bobs inside the engine move quicker - causing your car to sound like a diesel at low speeds!

Hey can anybody help me?
My C36 suddenly suffered a lack of power. It has hesitant, jerky acceleration. Rumbles at high speed. My garage changed the spark plugs and the coil pack but the problem is still there. Diagnostics didn't show anything up. Anyone know what it could be?

·
Registered
G 500, 55K
486 Posts
Ticking and Hesitating

I had the same problems. I cured these problems the following way. Ticking - switched from Mobil 1 to Quaker State full synthetic with one quart of Lucas Engine treatment. Ticking gone with in one hour. Hesitating - pressure cleaned fuel system. In this system a detergent alcohol solvent is fed into the injectors and the fuel tank. Car ran like crap for 30 minutes and then all problems were gone. No hesitating at all. Pulled like a freight train. Noticeable improvement in acceleration.

·
Registered
E55 AMG 2004 SILVER ALL OPTIONS + AMG LSD + more mods to come
42 Posts
Ticking and rattling? i do not have any of these on my 1997 C36!!

let me answer a few...

Ticking and rattling? i do not have any of these on my 1997 C36!!

let me answer a few questions, i sometimes get ticking when i use certain fuels from different petrol companies, you have to make sure you are using Super unleaded petrol (minimum 97RON)instead of the standard unleaded. shell do a petrol in the uk which is called optimax which is great, car noticably runs smoother with this in it! normal unleaded will cause ticking ( or pinking as its called)

In answer to big turbans question, i had the same problem on my c36, i had to get my mate to take it into the dealership to find out what was going on, it turned out to be the MAS sensor, this is a common problem, your symptoms sound like it, get your dealership to check your MAS sensor for you! it drove like a totally different car after that was changed!

·
Registered
G 500, 55K
486 Posts
Pinging vs ticking

This ticking noise is not pinging caused by running poor quality fuel. It is clearly a ticking sound an is slightly louder on the driver than the passenger side and is perfectly rhythmic and related to engine speed. It is common at idle and not audible when driving. This is classic valve noise. It is made to go away by a switch to a different oil with an oil stabilizer such as Lucas. How do I know? See, I took my car to the dealer for a tune up 3300 miles after I went to the quick change oil guy who performed the miracle. I told the dealer to leave the oil and filter alone. They did not. Oil change with Mobil 1. Within 500 miles a slight ticking was audible and by 750 miles it was getting worse. $77.00 oil change at the same quick change (Full Synthetic Quaker State with one quart of Lucas)and within 100 miles ticking was gone (and, no, the dealer did not offer to pay for the oil change). Enough proof for me. (This occurred 1100 miles ago and still no ticking). Car runs like a dream. Truly better than when I got it. You must try the fuel injection cleaning too. Absolutely amazing.

Give it a try.

·
Registered
E55 AMG 2004 SILVER ALL OPTIONS + AMG LSD + more mods to come
42 Posts
sounds good to me, i`ll have to give that lucas stuff a mention to my mate, he already put...

sounds good to me, i`ll have to give that lucas stuff a mention to my mate, he already puts an oil stabiliser in my car, probably why i dont get the same ticking noise! as for mobil 1, every experience i have had with that oil has been bad, my 1994 BMW M3 i had previously ran very rough with mobile one, so did my (dont laugh) Fiesta RS turbo (300 bhp) when i had it, i always think the semi synthetic oils are better!

but i`ll do a bit more research into the lucas stuff!

·
Registered
1997 C36 AMG
53 Posts
Marco

Does ticking occur at idle when the gear is in (N)eutral or when the gear is e...

Marco

Does ticking occur at idle when the gear is in (N)eutral or when the gear is engaged (1,2,3,4, or D)

If you heard the noise when the gear is engaged it is possible that your belt tensioner is the making the noise. (noise only came out when engine is under-load)

It happened to me, and the dealer replace my belt tensioner under warranty.

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
AMG C36
1 Posts
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY CAR

IT KEEPS MAKING I TICKING NOISE ON THE FRONT OF THE ENGINE I WHANT TO KNOW WHATS CAUSING THE NOISE- CAN SOME ONE HELP ME WITH THIS I JUST BOUGHT THE CAR 6 DAYS A GO[8D]

·
Registered
35 Posts
my experiance is the same as Marcos...i have change to fully syntetic valvoline syntpowe...

my experiance is the same as Marcos...i have change to fully syntetic valvoline syntpower and redline injection cleaner..first the ticking sound was all gone but after it got warm the noise came back but not as loud as before now the engine runs mouch more smoother and the noise is hardly hearable

By the way who can be this taestles and order a AMG with this interiör...uuuhh!! found it on a gearmen autosite!!

Attachments

·
Registered
G 500, 55K
486 Posts
Ticking

My ticking was present at idle in park. It was clearly rpm related and went away completely with lucas. It came back without lucas. It went away again with Lucas.

LUCAS = NO TICKING

(I don't work for or have any interest in the products I have mentioned)

·
Registered
G 500, 55K
486 Posts
Ticking

My ticking was present at idle in park. It was clearly rpm related and went away completely with lucas. It came back without lucas. It went away again with Lucas.

LUCAS = NO TICKING

(I don't work for or have any interest in the products I have mentioned)

·
Registered
1995 C36 AMG
4 Posts
RPM INDICATOR

Can someone explain why my 1995 C36AMG will not exceed more than 4K RPMs in Park or N, when I fully depress the accel? I just recently purchased the car here in Japan...it's Candian specs.

·
Registered
320TE 2.3-16 C36
13 Posts
Re: RPM INDICATOR

Can someone explain why my 1995 C36AMG will not exceed more than 4K RPMs in Park or N, when I fully depress the accel? I just recently purchased the car here in Japan...it's Candian specs.
It's sposed to do that... try it in a gear and it'll go all the way. It's not a bug it's a feature!
Anyone tried it in reverse? just wondering :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts