Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 95 E320 and I'm looking to trade up to a C36 AMG. Are there any known issues for the C36? E.g. I know (from experience :) that water pump, wiring harness and head gaskets are issues with the W124. How is does the W202 hold out?

Also, what kind of gas mileage are you folks getting with the C36, and (mountain biker question) does the rear seat fold down?

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
c36
14 Posts
Hi,

In my experience, the head gasket goes after 50k, apparently this is normal and e...

Hi,

In my experience, the head gasket goes after 50k, apparently this is normal and expected! The 5 speed auto goes wrong between 50-100k as well.

The official line is that the gearbox oil should last for the lifetime of the car, however mechanics suggest getting that changed at 36k intervals. Mine failed and I found this out afterwards.

Maybe I shall change the oil every 36k!!! The repair bill for about £1200 at a main dealer [xx(].

I can report no other problems. I bought mine at 56k and am at about 76k now.

Glad I bought it though.

I drive through a small town to get to work on the other side (very congested), twice a day, with the occasional blast to another town. I return 24-27 MPG. I drove to Spain, through France from UK with 4 people and a boot full of handbag contents, that run was fast, 80+ cruising. I returned 32-33mpg.

I am pleased with the economy, better than I expected but I do not drive hard and tend to be fairly economic in my driving style.

I very much doubt you would regret such an investment. Very rewarding car.

If you are looking at one. Check the condition of the front discs and pads. I believe they are very expensive to replace nearly £1k I have been told, cant remember who by though [:)]

I don't think the c43 is any better though! I have read a few posts that report that some people who have driven a c43 and c36 back to back opted for the c36, I have only driven the c36. I looked at 3 before I bought one. I am certain I got the best one.

Good luck.

·
Registered
c36
14 Posts
Hi,

In my experience, the head gasket goes after 50k, apparently this is normal and e...

Hi,

In my experience, the head gasket goes after 50k, apparently this is normal and expected! The 5 speed auto goes wrong between 50-100k as well.

The official line is that the gearbox oil should last for the lifetime of the car, however mechanics suggest getting that changed at 36k intervals. Mine failed and I found this out afterwards.

Maybe I shall change the oil every 36k!!! The repair bill for about £1200 at a main dealer [xx(].

I can report no other problems. I bought mine at 56k and am at about 76k now.

Glad I bought it though.

I drive through a small town to get to work on the other side (very congested), twice a day, with the occasional blast to another town. I return 24-27 MPG. I drove to Spain, through France from UK with 4 people and a boot full of handbag contents, that run was fast, 80+ cruising. I returned 32-33mpg.

I am pleased with the economy, better than I expected but I do not drive hard and tend to be fairly economic in my driving style.

I very much doubt you would regret such an investment. Very rewarding car.

If you are looking at one. Check the condition of the front discs and pads. I believe they are very expensive to replace nearly £1k I have been told, cant remember who by though [:)]

I don't think the c43 is any better though! I have read a few posts that report that some people who have driven a c43 and c36 back to back opted for the c36, I have only driven the c36. I looked at 3 before I bought one. I am certain I got the best one.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1996 C36
14 Posts
My '96 C36 had 36k last year when I aquired it! Low miles. Mine was verified that the wi...

My '96 C36 had 36k last year when I aquired it! Low miles. Mine was verified that the wiring harness has been replaced(you can tell somehow by looking at the multi-colored wire insulation). Ignition suppressors go out like mine did. they are like $70 total(every 30-50k??) Front pads were only $90 from Porterfield(low dust). Yes - trans oil is important. Had mine done for first time @ 54k last month - it was really dark. So far, no trouble w/water pump. A pully squeeks every now & then depending on the humidity outside. Head gasket will leak a little but so will a chevy truck eventually - so what, dont let that scare you?? My car currently has 56K on it & I have no buyers remorse. Have fun.
'95 - '96 C36 had 2.87 rear gears
'97 C36 had 3.08 I believe but...'97 is the fabled problamatic electronic tranny. but....'97's have replacable headlight glass unlike previous years(us spec) apples to oranges I guess

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are you familiar with the 1999 C43?

I am looking at 2 this coming weekend and wondering if there are any issues with this vehicle I should be looking for? If not do you have any suggestions where to go for info. Thanks much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts