Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
C36 C43
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to find a 1997 C36 to purchase so if any one has one please email me. Anyways since you guys are acual owners of these cars i have some questions?

How many miles is alot for a c36?
Can a "modded out" c280 be faster or a C36?
What are common things to go wrong in C36s and what are repair costs?

thank you for your help[}:)]

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
After 150,000 miles I'd start looking for real wear and tear...

Yes, a modified 280 can...

After 150,000 miles I'd start looking for real wear and tear...

Yes, a modified 280 can out perform a 36. A supercharger alone will give 280 hp, add in chips and finer points and 310 hp is easily achieved.

Wear is down to driving, especially brakes. Engine can give head gasket trouble and engine wiring can be supect as well. Not really expensive, but a nuisance. Ball joints go at alarming rate, but not expensive.
Same cannot be said for a/c units (mine packed in twice) and anything to do with central locking / ecu. They are expensive...

·
Registered
C36 C43
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much is a super charger though

[:D] You say that a C280 can be faster than a C36 with a supercharger but how much is a super charger. 8-10,000 dollars? Can you super charge C36s

·
Registered
230G
206 Posts
C36 are much relaible cars

my friend has 200 000 kilometers and it s still running wild, had to change exhaust once but nothing important to add, He drives it daily and he s so rough on it!!

·
Registered
1995 C36
27 Posts
REAL common c36 problems especially 95's is a wire harness problem. It starts tearing ap...

REAL common c36 problems especially 95's is a wire harness problem. It starts tearing apart basically. Several mechanics told me how common it was. your looking at 1200-1400 for the part. Another 2-300 for labor. One shop gave me an estimate of 1900$!!!

·
Registered
230G
206 Posts
what s that mean?

sorry i m not too familiar with mechanical technical expression in english, i m actually french, can u please explain me whats Wire Harness?

Thanks a lot[V]

·
Registered
1995 C36
27 Posts
Well as i know it, for my car it is the main wire that connects everything in the engine...

Well as i know it, for my car it is the main wire that connects everything in the engine area to the computer. My harness(wires) was ripping so the computer were getting all types of wrong codes. The car was in limp mode, i lost about all my horsepower..the car lagged a bunch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts