Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently bought a 1995 C36 with 98k miles. It ran fine for the first few weeks, and then last week it started acting up. The problem is that, after the car warms up the idle is rough. The idle bounces from 500~1500 rpm constantly in neutral, while in drive it bounces 1000~1500 rpm, while black smoke comes out of the exhaust. Once in a while it dips so low the car dies. This is the first car I bought with my own money, I don't really have the money to bring it to the dealership if I can fix it. I'm trying to single out the problems right now, any help would be appreciated.

BTW, I already changed out the plug, but it didnt fix the problems...

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 104 engine is bad about faulty engine harnesses. Check the wires at various places on the engine to make sure the insulation is not falling off. Another thing to check is the electronic accelerator. Those are also failure prone. If you follow the plug off the e.a. down under the front of the intake you can slice the rubber insulation(on the e.a. side of the plug) with a razor blade and check the condition of the wires inside. However even if the wires for the ea are in good shape it can still be bad. There is a service bullitin on idle surging problems caused by faulty ea's and there is a production date window to check for. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts