Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,<br>
<br>
I am in the process of purchasing a 1997 C36 AMG car from a UK dealer. When I use the VIN search tool in this database it states that my car is a C280 not a C36. <br>
<br>
Am I being conned or did AMG take the C280 and then modify this car.<br>
<br>
Please help as I am confused.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Jonnie,<br> <br> Yes the C36 was derived from the C280. Some of the changes you will note are:<br> <br> 3.6 liter engine (276 HP!!!)<br> Front brakes from the S600<br> Rear brakes from the E420<br> Reworked suspension and 17' wheels<br> Two-tone leather steering wheel<br> AMG logo on the speedo and tach<br>

·
Registered
C36 AMG
7 Posts
I have the same problem but was answered by my local MB dealer in Hong Kong as follows:

I have the same problem but was answered by my local MB dealer in Hong Kong as follows:

The VIN number refers to a C280 class chassis and engine number refers to a 2.8l engine.

AMG modified the engine but VIN and engine number remains the same. AMG was not part of the Mercedes group back in 1994/1995 and so the VIN does not reflect the modification by AMG.

I was worried too with my 1994 C36 as well cuz my VIN search returned a C280 as well. Now, I have the puzzle to the problem and I'm happy with what I've got.

The MB dealer said the only way to tell the diff between a genuine C36 and C280 is by the engine, brake calipers/rotors. By and large the rest is all cosmetic difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts