Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG
95 Posts
Hmm I heard it was taken from the 3.5L Diesel, oops.

Well, if it were derived from the ...

Well, if it were derived from the 2.8, I'd be scared. Taking an engine like that and boaring out another .8L is unheard of. The cylinder walls must be so narrow... Oh well, personal opinion.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: Hmm I heard it was taken from the 3.5L Diesel, oops.

Thanks for the link and info! The pictures are nice, but the text looks like it was taken from an old Mercedes marketing pamphlet.

Well, if it were derived from the 2.8, I'd be scared. Taking an engine like that and boaring out another .8L is unheard of. The cylinder walls must be so narrow... Oh well, personal opinion.
These engines are probably sleeved, so when boring out the cylinder, new sleeves are fitted. So the sleeves are probably just as thick as the sleeves in the 2.8L version of the engine.

-s-

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
Wyatt, you started this conversation in another train, but I left it.
It is not that the ...

Wyatt, you started this conversation in another train, but I left it.
It is not that the cylinder walls are thin, you must take into account the longer crankshaft throw...
In fact the cylinders are bored out very little, most of the 800cc is from the longer stroke, and a little bit in the larger combustion chamber.

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG
95 Posts
Thanks for the info, Scorchie.

J62105: I didn't start this thread. You're right, I shou...

Thanks for the info, Scorchie.

J62105: I didn't start this thread. You're right, I should take those items into consideration![:D]
I don't know as much about engines as you all apear to!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts