Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experience diesel like sound with their C36? Mine has this diesel sound which could become louder / softer for a reason. The sound would be softer after I drive the car very hard for several minutes on track. And it is also softer for a first couple of minutes after I start the car. I have checked everything I could imagine, the front parts of the engine has been checked and rechecked many times including, chain, chain tensioner, sliding rails, gears, timing degree, crank pulley (re-torque), chain tension rate, rocker arms, and valve system. I tried to put in different oil with various thickness from 0W-50 to 20W-40 but the sound never go away.
Many Benz mechanics said the diesel sound is normal for C36, but I have another C36 and it's very quiet, definitely no diesel sound.
I tried to cure this problem for 3 years now, hope somebody would be kind enough to give input. Any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
1996 C36, 1995 S500 Coupe, 1985 190E 2.3
301 Posts
Normal for a C36, I have never heard one that is quiet.

·
Registered
96 C36, 87 Turbo'd 190E 2.3-16, 86 SC'd 190E 2.3-16, Brabus'd C32
1,626 Posts
you talking about the sound of sweet love<3

·
Registered
1996 C36 ///AMG and a 1995 C280 sport
672 Posts
Maybe your other one is not really an AMG!? lol.

But thats the price you pay when you get a PUMPED UP AMG engine!! I personally LOVE that sound, its exactly like LAMF described it, Sweet Love!! It sounds like a beast ready to attack!!

·
Registered
2002 CL55 AMG, 1993 190E 2.3L, 2004 SLK320 Sport
1,733 Posts
Maybe your other one is not really an AMG!? lol.

But thats the price you pay when you get a PUMPED UP AMG engine!! I personally LOVE that sound, its exactly like LAMF described it, Sweet Love!! It sounds like a beast ready to attack!!
What's up Marko?
Congrats on the C36, can't wait to see it!
Talk to you soon....................I'll always love the sound of my C36 (music to my ears...)!

"C36 for life baby.......................";)
Check out my Youtube video & tell me if that doesn't sound sick!

·
Registered
1993 Black 320CE with Brabus B6 tune, AMG Gen I kit and Aero II wheels
106 Posts
Yep, normal, I spent lots of money trying to "fix" it before I realised it was normal.

·
Registered
672 Posts
What's up Marko?
Congrats on the C36, can't wait to see it!
Talk to you soon....................I'll always love the sound of my C36 (music to my ears...)!

"C36 for life baby.......................";)
Check out my Youtube video & tell me if that doesn't sound sick!
Hey Spiros!! Yea I just got my C36 AMG a couple of days ago and I am SOO excited! it looks like the coolest car ever! and the power, well, MAN its to die for!! :D I'm going to get some pictures soon, maybe Marko can help me out in that department lol. Ok See you soon Buddy. P.S Awesome Burrnout like always!!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
well i had a usa 95 c36 it didnt have the diesel sound just picked up a USA 96 that has the front engine diesel sound, i do not think it is normal ,, but have not hunted it down yet. dont seem to affect running condition

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i had a usa 95 c36 it didnt have the diesel sound just picked up a USA 96 that has the front engine diesel sound, i do not think it is normal ,, but have not hunted it down yet. dont seem to affect running condition
That is exactly what I experienced, 2 C36s, 1 with diesel sound, 1 without. But since I haven't found what caused it, I guess I have to live with it. When I do, I'll post it here. Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
1996 Silver C36
543 Posts
I have heard a few theories advanced over the years including piston slap.

But I have yet to hear any detrimental problems arising as a result of the "diesel sound". I think we have to accept this sound as a characteristic of the breed. Perhaps pump the RPM up a bit and the exhaust note will drown out the diesel sound!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone experience diesel like sound with their C36? Mine has this diesel sound which could become louder / softer for a reason. The sound would be softer after I drive the car very hard for several minutes on track. And it is also softer for a first couple of minutes after I start the car. I have checked everything I could imagine, the front parts of the engine has been checked and rechecked many times including, chain, chain tensioner, sliding rails, gears, timing degree, crank pulley (re-torque), chain tension rate, rocker arms, and valve system. I tried to put in different oil with various thickness from 0W-50 to 20W-40 but the sound never go away.
Many Benz mechanics said the diesel sound is normal for C36, but I have another C36 and it's very quiet, definitely no diesel sound.
I tried to cure this problem for 3 years now, hope somebody would be kind enough to give input. Any input is appreciated!
have recently replaced timing chain and all the guides in a quest to shut it up but was back in a few days the only time i find it to be quiet is when it has brand new oil and when cold...... i think its down to the type of oil, in saying that i have tried many differnt weights and brands and still no luck next oil i am trying is royal purple...

·
Registered
672 Posts
have recently replaced timing chain and all the guides in a quest to shut it up but was back in a few days the only time i find it to be quiet is when it has brand new oil and when cold...... i think its down to the type of oil, in saying that i have tried many differnt weights and brands and still no luck next oil i am trying is royal purple...
When will you understand that THE DIESEL SOUND ON A C36 AMG IS TOTALLY NORMAL!!! sheeesh!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Diesel sound is not normal dont care what any one of these guys say cause if it were normal it would do it all the time true?
Like i have mentioned in this thread before i recently replaced timing chain, tensioner and all the guides and when put together and first run it was silent ....give it a week and the noise has faintly come back and have since added an oil additive Fuel and oil additives and is again silent ... going to try using the additive with a 20w-50w oil next and let you know how it goes...

·
Registered
1993 Black 320CE with Brabus B6 tune, AMG Gen I kit and Aero II wheels
106 Posts
Diesel sound is not normal dont care what any one of these guys say cause if it were normal it would do it all the time true?
Like i have mentioned in this thread before i recently replaced timing chain, tensioner and all the guides and when put together and first run it was silent ....give it a week and the noise has faintly come back and have since added an oil additive Fuel and oil additives and is again silent ... going to try using the additive with a 20w-50w oil next and let you know how it goes...
Its normal, I spent lots of money replacing shit, got many garages to check the timing chain and everything else, noone could find anything wrong, and all the garages also said it was normal.

I cant find the post right now, but someone, in a quest to kill the diesel noise, went though 3 motors trying to fix it, I beleive his rebuilt original, a brand new short block from AMG, and a brand new crate engine from AMG, I am a bit hazy on the specifics, but basically, after spending many thousands of dollars on the car, the noise was still there.

If it wasnt normal, why would SO many C36s have the exact same noise, exact same situation (at idle, when warm) yet have seemingly no detrimental effects? It's just the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Its normal, I spent lots of money replacing shit, got many garages to check the timing chain and everything else, noone could find anything wrong, and all the garages also said it was normal.

I cant find the post right now, but someone, in a quest to kill the diesel noise, went though 3 motors trying to fix it, I beleive his rebuilt original, a brand new short block from AMG, and a brand new crate engine from AMG, I am a bit hazy on the specifics, but basically, after spending many thousands of dollars on the car, the noise was still there.

If it wasnt normal, why would SO many C36s have the exact same noise, exact same situation (at idle, when warm) yet have seemingly no detrimental effects? It's just the nature of the beast.
Exactly!! Thank you!!
the Deisel sound is Perfectly normal, and is the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
672 Posts
ok ok ill bite my pride and accept it!!
what makes the noise though???
You should thank us lol we probably saved you a LOAD of cash for absolutly nothing. :thumbsup:
As for the explanation, well thats what you get when you have one of the BIGGEST and BEST Inline 6 cylinder NA engine Bored/Stroked, Tuned, and Modified to the MAX!!
Its the sound of a BEAST lurking under the hood.
They don't call it one of the best built engine for nothing lol.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts