Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a follow-up on the klatta-klatta noise that our C36 is making.<br>We've noticed that it only makes it during idle, and it sounds like its<br>coming from the timing chain/cam sprocket area.<p>Via the diagnostic port, we can activate/de-activate the cam-advance<br>solenoid.<br>When activated, the sound is gone.<br>When de-activated, the sound comes back.<p>Does the intake cam sprocket assembly get noisy, or could this be chain<br>stretch?<p>Could this contribute to no high-end "umph"?<p>Our only testing is with the stock 300TE exhaust (single cat, single<br>O2-sensor), so we are now fabricating a dual-cat and dual O2-sensor<br>free-flow exhaust that will mimick the C36 exhaust system.<p>Any other ideas?<p>Thanks,<p>:) neil<br>1988 300TE w/AMG'd M104 (aka, C36)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just had my timing chain replaced. I haven't felt any gain in performance, although I expected to. It had similar noises emanating from it.<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: C36 cam sprocket noise & no upper umph.

1995 C36 same problem, ticking and noticably reduced upper end performance. Dealer said ticking was 'racing pistons' normal. For racing pistons, sure can't figure out why upper end power gone. Still under warranty too!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts