1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody done an oil change themselves? i do oil<br>
changes on my other vehicles, and as the filter and housing<br>
are on top and left side of engine, i think it would be <br>
relatively easy, do you need any special tools? greatfull for some usefull advice-yd

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you want, you can purchase some basic oil filter wrench or you can even turn it with your hands if you have a stong grip. but be careful on tighting it up because, what you seen is only a canister for the filter itself. I have a little technique not to over tight it, I marked one side of the filter canister with a white chalk, when you do this mark only one staight line on one side so when you put it back in you have a mark when to stop. Its no hard at all. good luck

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I changed mine.

Its really easy.<br> You need to remove the rear belly pan to get to the drain plug. Piece of cake, 6 or so little screws. No biggie.<br> Drain the oil just like any car.<br> For the filter, while you are at the dealer getting the filter (which comes with the necessary gaskets, etc), pick up a filter wrench. Its only $6 or so. <br> When you take the top of the filter off, and pull the filter out, you will see that the filter is stuck on a stick like part. It took me a while to figure out how to get the filter off! Because it looks like you have to unhook or unclip it somehow. Nope, just pull it straight down and off of the stick.<br> There are a bunch of o-rings, of varying sizes, but that is just a matter of replacing them with those included in the kit.<br> Really easy and clean.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it's not a single piece?

I've always changed my own oil & filters but I've never seen an oil filter that's not a single piece construction. It sounds like MB uses one with a replaceable filter element? Is this common with German cars? What is the advantage of this design over the typical single piece filters that you see in the auto parts stores?<br> <br> Does anyone have pictures of this thing in its disassembled state? I'm curious to know what it looks like.<br> <br> Thanks.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: So it's not a single piece?

Stillwaiting, <br> Check www.mercedesshop,com and click DIY oil change part two and you will see the exploded view of the MB filter element.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: So it's not a single piece?

Thanks guys for all the helpfull oil change info, one last question- after the oil change, does the readout on <br> 'perform service' etc re-set<br> itself (as relating to the flexi-service programme) or do you have to get a MB service technician to do it?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: Re: So it's not a single piece?

Nope, it doe not re-set by itself, But let me ask you this ,what year is your 'C' and how many mile you have or are you chnaging the oil just in between FSS sked? If you are changing it in between FSS wait till your actual sked and have you dealer re-set it for you. Or you can reset it yourself, the procedures is written in our manual.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: Re: Re: So it's not a single piece?

I change oil on all my vehicles every 4500 km, now here is something i do know about,oil viscosity no matter if its synthethic or normal starts to break down immeadiately, incidently, the white house limo fleet and the british royal house hold fleet follow the same oil change frequency, that is why both thier car fleets are still running and some models employed are nearly 40 yars old. I learned this when in the british army- we had <br> land rovers that were 20 years old,and because of this frequency in oil changes the engines did not need any major rebuilds or repairs in <br> about 75% of vehicles( and please no smart remarks from any rambo types!) further to this i was priveliged to be <br> part of a testing team for the german leopard mark 2 tank(without a doubt the most superior tank in production today-thats why leopards always win the NATO tank competitions!- and they changed thier engine oil every 3500 km-guess what sort of engines these tanks have-<br> benz 1500 hp diesels) anyway <br> sorry to get carried away- but thats my theory on oil changes.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Re: Re: Re: So it's not a single piece?

I'm 100% with you on your theory and tha' s what i'm doing to all my vehicle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts