Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 C320 Sedan
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have a 2003 C320 Sedan. Last week I received the "low beam, check lamps" error on my dash for both the left and right side on the same day. I bought two new bulbs and installed them both, but was still receiving the error and they are NOT working. After looking at the old bulbs that were removed and getting a second opinion, it seems the bulbs weren't bad to begin with. I also retrieved the fuse diagram from my passenger side door and checked the fuses #62 & #63 which is for the low beam and they are fine also.

Please help! Any direction one can give me as to what the problem may be now would be greatly appreciated! I understand it could be a wiring problem, but I would like to learn how to do this myself rather than paying someone to do an electrical diagnostic.

Thanks again for any help you can give me!!

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
It's very unlikely that BOTH headlights failed at the same time.

Front SAM may be bad. I don't know how to test if the front SAM is indeed bad.
Any other electrical components not working?

·
Registered
2003 C320 Sedan
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and thanks for the response. I received the low beam error for both lights on the same day actually about 4 hours apart. Started with the Low Beam, L error while running a few errands, then later in the afternoon same day the Low Beam, R error started to appear. As far as other electrical issues, I've had the SRS error on my dash for atleast a year now, so not sure they are related. Also, my windshield pump spray doesn't work.

Thanks again for your assistance with this.

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
I received the low beam error for both lights on the same day actually about 4 hours apart. ...
I've had the SRS error on my dash for atleast a year now.
Also, my windshield pump spray doesn't work
Based on all of the above data, I am pretty sure the front SAM is bad and needs to be replaced.

If you are not good with electrical work, please have it replaced by a competent independent mechanic that specializes in automotive electrical work.

good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The lights are checked and actuated by front SAM control unit, depending on the commands received either from light switch or light/rain sensor. Since there is no error when the lights are on from the switch, it seems that front SAM is failing. SAM is an electronic controller integrated into main engine bay fusebox.

It is possible to check the exact reason why the error message comes up with the help of Star Diagnosis computer. It can communicate with SAM, light module, rain sensor and all other electronics in between.

Also, when SAM is replaced, it must be coded to your car's setup with Star. Some independent Merc shops have the tool besides official dealers.

Regards,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts