Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
taking delivery of c320 elegance soon, want to substitute 205/55 tires with 225/55, my sales rep<br>says not recommended due to altering wheel rotation per mile and therefor giving speedo error, any one any ideas or advice on this?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Assuming your staying with the 16" wheels, you should be able to fit a 225/50 tire and keep the wheel rotation almost identical. But given that I could have done the math wrong, check with someone like Tirerack or a local tire store. They have charts that tell you what will fit, at least circumference wise. I'd also check what width the stock wheel is, as you don't want too wide of a tire with respect to the wheel. Again, a tire store will give good advice. No, I don't work for a tire store. But I did upgrade once car from 14" 185/60 to 16" 205/45.<p>As with any wider tire, you need to check for suspension and wheelwell clearance. I doubt that going from 205 to 225 would pose a problem though.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: c320 elegance tires -YES, but..

Your calculations are perfectly right. I'll<br>tell you why: there is an option in Europe<br>which includes hardened suspension and alloy<br>rims with 225/50R16 wheels on it. BUT your<br>advice to check wheelwell clearence is<br>important - they mount 225/50R16 with ET (offset)<br>37 on front axle and 225/50R16 with ET 32!!!<br>on the rear axle. This is factory configuration<br>so i presume that is absolutely problem-free.<br>Hope this helps<p>: Assuming your staying with the 16" wheels, you should be able to fit a 225/50 tire and keep the wheel rotation almost identical. But given that I could have done the math wrong, check with someone like Tirerack or a local tire store. They have charts that tell you what will fit, at least circumference wise. I'd also check what width the stock wheel is, as you don't want too wide of a tire with respect to the wheel. Again, a tire store will give good advice. No, I don't work for a tire store. But I did upgrade once car from 14" 185/60 to 16" 205/45.<p>As with any wider tire, you need to check for suspension and wheelwell clearance. I doubt that going from 205 to 225 would pose a problem though.<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: c320 elegance tires -YES, but..2

for those of you who can read german,<br>here is an url to the price list of <br>options available in .DE. It includes<br>various tires/rims configuration and<br>other curious details.<br>http://www.mercedes-benz.de/mbd/pdf/C-203-l.pdf<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Speedometer error will be 3.5% (more)

I remember reading that the absolute maximum difference was 5% from stock to keep the ASR, ESP, ABS, and speedometer working correctly, but the recommended maximum was 3%.<p>You'd be much better off going with a 225/50R16 tire instead of a 225/55R16 tire you suggested. The difference between the stock 205/55 and a 225/50 is only 0.06%, which couldn't be any closer.<p>Check the price list that Michal Krzeminski posted, the optional tire size is 225/50, not 225/55.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts