Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve searched but I can’t find and answer to this simple question. My 2004 C320 wagon has a Bose audio 10 with CD changer. The OEM HU has no speaker wires just the two fiber optic leads and one going to the CD changer. I want to keep the existing speakers. Don’t they sell adapters that allow the fiber optic signal to be used with an aftermarket HU?

is my only option rewiring the aftermarket HU directly to the Bose amp? Im installing a Xtrons Amdroid 9.0 unit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
What you want to do is the same thing that we do in W211's and W220's that, like your car, also have D2B fiber-optic. What you've got to do is completely bypass the factory Bose amp.

In my case, I went with an Erisin Android head unit, along with their "LMBENZ-6m" cable that goes from the head-unit to where the Bose amp (and thus the speaker connections) is. This is very similar to your Xtrons unit. Then I spliced the LMBENZ-6m cable into the speaker wires directly, thus totally bypassing the stock Bose amp and running the door speakers off of the head unit's built-in 45 watt/channel amp. Since we no longer have the "Bose equalization curve" from the stock COMAND head unit, the sound will probably sound a bit flat. Not sure what size the C-class's speakers are, but if they're anything like the W211's and W220's, they'll be 6.5" size. I chose Phoenix Gold co-axial speakers as replacements, in my case the SX65CX's, and I just left the stock tweeters where they were (doesn't hurt to leave 'em). That restored the sound's brightness.

Is there a rear woofer in the back of a W203, the same way there is in a W211 or W220? If so, then you'll also want to pick up a small-ish amp (100W RMS or 300W peak is more than enough!) and connect that to the "subwoofer" output of the aftermarket head unit, to get the bass signal. Then connect the output to the rear woofer. That means that you'll be running at least one RCA-jack cable (they usually come in pairs, that's OK) from the head-unit to this new bass amp.

What you're essentially doing is converting your audio system from proprietary fiber-optic to standard copper. Xtrons should have their version of Erisin's "LMBENZ-6m" cable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts