Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about having a DVD Receiver with Touchscreen <br> (Kenwood KVT-911DVD) installed in my 2001 C320, but was wondering if anyone can answer a few questions for me. <br> <br> 1) Will you get any type of error message on the cluster display when installing an aftermarket unit? <br> <br> 2) Would there be any type of center console refabrication needed to install the head unit? <br> <br> 3) Is there any techincal literature that explains the signalling that takes place between the radio and the cluster display in order to display the radio station, etc? <br> <br> Any other information would be appreciated. <br> <br> Thanks, <br> Rachel<br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1) Well, you'll get 'no radio' on the cluster display if the on board computer can't communicate with the radio.<br>
<br>
2) To get a better fit, you'll probably want to have them make a frame thing that will go around the extra space.<br>
<br>
3) The signalling between the radio and the cluster computer thing is called 'CAN Bus'. CAN is for Car Area Network, I think. <br>
<br>
The steering wheel controls are via CAN Bus. The communication between the head unit and the cd changer is D2B Optical, which carries audio data along with command data. <br>
<br>
Basically, you'd have to do a LOT of custom work in order to get the Kenwood unit to communicate with the cluster display and steering wheel controls. Although once you paid the time and money to have it done (probably tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars and months of engineering work) you might be able to develop something and sell it as an aftermarket interface kit. <br>
<br>
<br>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts