Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[?] Hello all.

We're deciding between a C320 4MATIC Sedan or 4MATIC Sport Sedan. Love the sport seats and sport 17" wheels, but not digging the aluminum dash trim and potentially degraded ride.

I would appreciate all opinions on the following:

1. Are the 17" wheels/tires and suspension tuning on the Sport Sedan more harsh over bumps and/or noisy?

2. Does the steering wheel wander over grooves or the crown in roads since the rims are larger and heavier?

3. Has anyone, at the time of purchase, had the dealer swap the aluminum trim on their Sport for the laurel wood on the non-sport? Is it possible?

Thanks in advance. Great forum community.

- SonofC320

·
Registered
ML320/C320 Sprt
4,649 Posts
Hi, welcome to the crowd first of all;-)

Now here is my opinion....If your concern is the ride I would not get the sport sedan, Yes the ride is a little bit stiffer that the regular sedan,because of the Z rated tire and much wider. I drove them both reg. sedan and sport and I decided to get the Sport sedan, Why? like what you said, the sporty seat which is an option to reg. sedan, I like the wheel also and again its an option for the sedan. I think you can request to get a laurel wood for the sport package if you want to wait because it will be custom built in Germany. Mine ETA is late April because of the option I like can not be found to any cars in the region.[:)][:D][;)]Here ia the list of option I like C2, C4, CD Changer with Tele aid. Hope this helps on your decision[;)]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Hi, welcome to the crowd first of all;-)

Now here is my opinion....If your concern is....
JimB,

Thanks for your input and congrats on your decision. We'll have to test drive a Sport model. A little stiffer in ride would be fine, as long as the ride is still refined. Here in NYC, I had car in the past customized with a sports suspension (17" wheels, Z-rated tires, Koni, Eibach, etc) and felt EVERY ripple come through.

In the Sport model, both front seats are sport seats. In the non-sport, I was only given an option for the driver seat to be "multicontour". Were you offered to get the passenger seat in sport as well?

Also, although I hadn't asked the dealer and it is not on any list of options that I've seen, do you know for certain that MB would build a C320 Sport with laurel wood?

Thanks,
SonofC320

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
No, it's not possible...

Also, although I hadn't asked the dealer and it is not on any list of options that I've seen, do you know for certain that MB would build a C320 Sport with laurel wood?

Thanks,
SonofC320
All Sport package equipped vehicles come only with the brushed aluminum trim. You cannot specify otherwise because there is simply not an option for this (in N.America).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: No, it's not possible...

Thanks,
SonofC320
All Sport package equipped vehicles come only with the brushed aluminum trim. You cannot specify otherwise because there is simply not an option for this (in N.America).
Thanks for the info, Drew. Other manufacturers sometimes allow for parts department accessories to be installed on your new car prior to delivery. For exmaple, my BMW folks would be able to install the different dash trim kit sourced from their parts department. Obviously = $$$.

The only thing that I am really wanting from the Sport at this point is both front sport seats. Seems like the only sporty seating option on the non-sport is the one driver-side multicontour.

BTW, great forum... On par with the likes of www.e46fanatics.com for BMWs.

- SonofC320

·
Registered
C240 W203 Avantgarde
47 Posts
Hello:

Knowing the streets of NYC, I wouldn't buy any suspension that's harsher than ab...

Hello:

Knowing the streets of NYC, I wouldn't buy any suspension that's harsher than absolutely necessary [;)].

At least here in Europe, mercedes will overcharge you grossly on any option that's not listed - even if it's available on a different model.

So if you want wood in your car (I bought Avantgarde just for the opposite reason - but why should we all have the same taste [:D] ), you'd probably be better off buying the wood trim separately and having it installed before taking delivery of the car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Hello:Knowing the streets of NYC, I wouldn't buy any suspension that's harsher than ab

Hello:

Knowing the streets of NYC, I wouldn't buy any suspension that's harsher than absolutely necessary [;)].

At least here in Europe, mercedes will overcharge you grossly on any option that's not listed - even if it's available on a different model.

So if you want wood in your car (I bought Avantgarde just for the opposite reason - but why should we all have the same taste [:D] ), you'd probably be better off buying the wood trim separately and having it installed before taking delivery of the car.
Makes good sense. We'll likely get the non-sport model since we are in NYC and don't want to go crazy zigging and zagging to avoid potholes like death. More input from some C320 Sport 4MATIC owners have indicated some degree of fidgetiness w/ the 17" wheels.

The driver and passenger sport/mulicontour seats with lumbar, that is standard with the Sport, is all that I remains needed at this point to place an order. Why should only the driver have lumbar --- passengers don't have backs that need support?

- SonofC320

·
Registered
ML320/C320 Sprt
4,649 Posts
Oppsss, wait a minute, sonof320...

Where did you see that only on driver side has a sport seat with lumbar support? [8)][:0][?][?]and not on passenger side.[}:)][}:)]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Oppsss, wait a minute, sonof320...

Where did you see that only on driver side has a sport seat with lumbar support? [8)][:0][?][?]and not on passenger side.[}:)][}:)]

Hey, JimB.

This is just what I gathered from the C Brochure and was going to verify this week at the dealer. By, the way, I hope the car is put together better than the brochure.

Are you saying that there is lumbar on the passenger side? If so, thanks for the correction.

As you saw, I was starting to feel like the standard lack of would have been inconsistent with a $40K car. On certain BMWs this was the case.

- SonC320

·
Registered
E500 Sport
28 Posts
Re: Re: Oppsss, wait a minute, sonof320...

Hey, JimB.

This is just what I gathered from the C Brochure and was going to verify this week at the dealer. By, the way, I hope the car is put together better than the brochure.

Are you saying that there is lumbar on the passenger side? If so, thanks for the correction.

As you saw, I was starting to feel like the standard lack of would have been inconsistent with a $40K car. On certain BMWs this was the case.

- SonC320
Hi SonC320,
I have been going thru the same deliberation between the C320 4matic sedan and the C320 4matic Sport sedan. I deceided to go with the non sport because:
-I saw the sport tires straight channel design and as Drew and others on this forum pointed out, these tires with 4matic don't look like they would work at all in real snow. I am too lazy to deal with changing to snows or selling the tires.
-I think the wood interior is better looking than the metal.
-Just getting out of an E500 Sport with Airmatic, the thought of going to a harsh ride in the sport C does not seem like the way to go.
I did want to mention that in addition to the brochure, the MBUSA website, where you can build your C320, is very useful.You can get info on many of the options and accessories available. Good Luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Re: Re: Oppsss, wait a minute, sonof320...

Hi SonC320,
I have been going thru the same deliberation between the C320 4matic sedan and the C320 4matic Sport sedan. I deceided to go with the non sport because:
Certainly all really good points. Ride-wise and regarding the wood interior, I would absolutely agree with you. The tire tread design is an interesting observation. I don't really feel the need to store extra wheels either - been there already. I'll take a look at this next week at the dealer.

Also wondering about the Sport's blue-tinted glass and whether it is much better at keeping out UVs.

The brochure and website are where most of my questions spawned from. The proof will be in the viewing and test drive.

Thanks again and enjoy your new ride.

- SonofC320

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Yeah you can do that...

Thanks for the info, Drew. Other manufacturers sometimes allow for parts department accessories to be installed on your new car prior to delivery. For exmaple, my BMW folks would be able to install the different dash trim kit sourced from their parts department. Obviously = $$$.
The parts department can certain order things for you and your dealer can fit them prior to delivery...for a price [:)]. It won't be a trade-in deal.

The only thing that I am really wanting from the Sport at this point is both front sport seats. Seems like the only sporty seating option on the non-sport is the one driver-side multicontour.
The sport seats simply have a bit more aggressive side bolstering. It's not a tremendous difference for me. I'd certainly lean more towards the non-Sport model. I have seen many C-coupes with bent 17" C7/Evolution package wheels due to hitting potholes. The large wheel size and low tire sidewall may look good, but it comes at a price which you have decide whether is too high for your situation.

BTW, great forum... On par with the likes of www.e46fanatics.com for BMWs.
Thanks! We try [:)]. Spread the word and return frequently [:D]. Also check out site's front/home page for the latest MB Germany/MB Canada/MBUSA news.

·
Registered
C240 W203 Avantgarde
47 Posts
Hello SonofC320:

Unless you really have a back problem that requires special attention,...

Hello SonofC320:

Unless you really have a back problem that requires special attention, you should be fine with the regular seats - they're really good and they do provide lumbar support, although not adjustable.

I have a special lumbar-adjustable chair at my desk at the office, but find the regular seat in the car fully satisfactory.

I like the blue-tinted glass on my Avantgarde (European Sports Package, but without the sports chassis - that's an additional extra over here, thank G'd). The blue windows set the car apart from so many others on the road, and they offer good heat protection, but I don't know whether it's any better than with the standard green version. Mercedes, in any case, makes no such claims.

So if you prefer the wood trim anyway, stay away from the Sports Package options altogether and spend the money on something else: Bose, Parktronic, moonroof , xenons ... there's certainly no shortage in that department with Mercedes. [:eek:)]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agreed non-Sport & COMAND

A really nice day here in NYC. Beautiful day to take the mountain bike out.

Okay... you guys talked me into it... non-Sport C it is. Seriously, I am leaning this way as well and I appreciate the comments that everyone has provided to reinforce that decision.

I have bent two 17" rims in my lifetime here in NYC. In fact on my 30th b-day going to pick up the aforementioned mountain bike. [V]

Perhaps we'll get the COMAND NAV. Any opinions on how well this works and whether there is a loss in sound quality over the standard Non-NAV Bose system?

I'm just full of questions... but I like the discussions that we've been having.

- SonofC320

·
Registered
C240 W203 Avantgarde
47 Posts
Hi SoC:

Don't they offer COMAND with Bose in the US? I have both at the same time, and ...

Hi SoC:

Don't they offer COMAND with Bose in the US? I have both (factory-fitted, with a six CD changer which I had installed by the dealer in the trunk because I didn't want to loose so much space in the glove compartment), and they both work well. I don't see why you couldn't have both in the US, too, but these car marketing people often have their own ideas.

If I had to choose, I'd certainly take the Bose, which is perfectly matched to the car (I'm not a hifi "freak", though - just like to listen to all kinds of good music). The standard system (which I've had in several hire cars) is acceptable - if you just want to listen to the news.

The COMAND colour screen is a nice toy, but the map function is not up to others I've seen (including cheap add-ons like Hertz's Neverlost). Although I have COMAND I normally use the "arrow" display function, which the small APS 30 NAV would have offered as well.

As for the chassis, even the standard version is rather "tight" for a Mercedes: you'll have sufficient cornering stability and you'll still be reminded you're in NYC at every pothole.
[;)]

Altogether, although I have the 240 engine (which is too weak for fun), it's a delightful car - and mine is even problem-free.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Yes, they certainly do...

Don't they offer COMAND with Bose in the US? I have both (factory-fitted, with a six CD changer which I had installed by the dealer in the trunk because I didn't want to loose so much space in the glove compartment), and they both work well.
BOSE & COMAND are not mutually exclusive and available in N.America.

If I had to choose, I'd certainly take the Bose, which is perfectly matched to the car (I'm not a hifi "freak", though - just like to listen to all kinds of good music). The standard system (which I've had in several hire cars) is acceptable - if you just want to listen to the news.
Yes, I definitely agree. The Bose Audiopilot system is much better than the stock system (particularly the bass, since it has a subwoofer) and I think that everyone can appreciate it.

Altogether, although I have the 240 engine (which is too weak for fun), it's a delightful car - and mine is even problem-free.
I'm actually very surprised to hear you keep saying that. When I had the C240 Classic for the review on our site's front page, I found that it had plenty of power to have fun. The solid chassis, nicely weighted steering and balance of the car all made it "fun" to drive. I loved the smoothness of the 2.6L V6 engine as well.

·
Registered
C240 W203 Avantgarde
47 Posts
Re: Yes, they certainly do...

I'm actually very surprised to hear you keep saying that. When I had the C240 Classic for the review on our site's front page, I found that it had plenty of power to have fun. The solid chassis, nicely weighted steering and balance of the car all made it "fun" to drive. I loved the smoothness of the 2.6L V6 engine as well.
I fully agree with you regarding the smoothness of the engine: it purrs like a cat. It's just the elasticity (or rather the lack of it) which spoils the fun.

I suppose that in NA you consider a 2.6 liter a (relatively) small piece and don't expect the relaxed behaviour of a "large" engine, whereas for us in Europe both the engine size and the fuel consumption would point to "upper class" performance - which it doesn't provide. You can either crawl along, or "step on it", which produces nervous gear changes like in a wheezy 4-cylinder.

I keep saying that because I want to keep others from making the same mistake: unless you're a very sedate driver, the 320 (which has far more power at low revs) is well worth the additional investment. The problem for the uninitiated buyer (which I was) is that by just looking at the performance data (maximum torque and 0-100 kms time), you'd think that the 240 is more than adequate for an average guy. It's the measly MINIMUM torque (which they don't tell you about) that kills the fun in everyday driving.

But, apart from that, my option-loaded 240 is a truly delightful car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Hi SoC:Don't they offer COMAND with Bose in the US? I have both at the same time, and

Hi SoC:

Don't they offer COMAND with Bose in the US? I have both (factory-fitted, with a six CD changer which I had installed by the dealer in the trunk because I didn't want to loose so much space in the glove compartment), and they both work well. I don't see why you couldn't have both in the US, too, but these car marketing people often have their own ideas.

The COMAND colour screen is a nice toy, but the map function is not up to others I've seen (including cheap add-ons like Hertz's Neverlost). Although I have COMAND I normally use the "arrow" display function, which the small APS 30 NAV would have offered as well.

As for the chassis, even the standard version is rather "tight" for a Mercedes: you'll have sufficient cornering stability and you'll still be reminded you're in NYC at every pothole.
[;)]

Paquito & Drew,

That's great. I can choose one or the other or both. Very nice.

I think that the biggest difference with the smaller V6 is torque. For my tastes, ft-lbs wise, it has just enough, but not extra. I tell you, my japanese V4 feels weak in torque compared to my BMW small I6. I suspect that the MB 3.2L V6 will one up the BMW. It the end, the japanese car will sit around more. However, if torque was my main thing, a Vette or a Dodge Ram truck would be the order of the day.

Thanks for educating me on the Bose & NAV combo possibility.

- SonofC320

1 - 18 of 18 Posts