Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put a deposit on C32. How come there up to 50 people in a big dealership with deposits on M3, but none on C32?? I thought the cars are more or less comparable performance wise, except C32 is auto and M3 is not?<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
that's a pretty big "except" in your post.<p>kinda like saying a C240 and a C32 are the same, except the C32 has a little more power.<p>: Just put a deposit on C32. How come there up to 50 people in a big dealership with deposits on M3, but none on C32?? I thought the cars are more or less comparable performance wise, except C32 is auto and M3 is not?<p><p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the M3 now having very competitive pricing, announced last week (about $45 K US), the C32 is likely to be seen as far too expensive in comparison (I've read it could cost up to $8000 more than the M3). Plus the no-option Autobox is inexcusable, and that alone will limit the market for the C32 unnecessarily.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where I live, the M3's command a dealer markup of 5-10K depending on who you talk to. The C32 I have on order is at MSRP. So much for the price difference. I agree about no manual being somewhat of a concern, however, not having four doors on a new M3 is equally negative to me. <p>The C32 is a high-performance (340+hp, great brakes) sports sedan not as likely to see track time. It would seem more logical to compare the C32 to the M5 and say the C32 is smaller and cheaper. Also, as the C320, in my opinion, is nicer than and costs more than the 330i; it seems logical that the 'tuned' Mercedes would cost more than the 'tuned' BMW.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No worries, I'd choose the Benz myself, even though it (theoretically) costs more. I still think quite a few people would be turned off by the lack of a manual transmission, though.<p>Then again, potential M3 customers might be turned off by the rumours of serious engine problems during E46 M3 testing and early production.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
C32 at Detroit auto show

: Just put a deposit on C32. How come there up to 50 people in a big dealership with deposits on M3, but none on C32?? I thought the cars are more or less comparable performance wise, except C32 is auto and M3 is not?<p><p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My salesman said there were 5 people on the C32 list at that dealer (medium sized) in October.<p>I guess they are comparible in performance, although I think the M3 will edge out the C32 in most if not all of the performance figures. The preliminary 0-60mph figure for the C32 is 5.0s, according to the MBUSA press release this morning. BMWUSA is claiming 4.8s for the M3.<p>The price is going to be about the same when you add equipment to the M3. The C32 base price will be less than $54K with the only options being metallic paint, phone, CD and navigation system. A well-equippped M3 will be really close. The base price is $45,400, plus a $1,000 gas guzzler tax that the C32 won't have. Then you add the luxury package, cold-weather package, rear airbags, Xenon headlamps, and premium audio system (all standard on C32).<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For those who need 4 doors, the C32 is THE answer. Sure, auto box, but that means it beats all but race drivers and magazine testers in the real world...that equates to more stoplight races won by the C32. I'll take that any day. I also agree (being the owner of a E36 M3) that Benz has much better interiors. I cant wait to upgrade out of BMW M's to a omore plush interior. Teenagers and empty nesters will love the M3 though. Bummer it has engine probs already. No surprise as Double Vanos has probs too.<p>Mine: 4door, C32 AMG....when it arrives. <p>: that's a pretty big "except" in your post.<p>kinda like saying a C240 and a C32 are the same, except the C32 has a little more power.<p>: Just put a deposit on C32. How come there up to 50 people in a big dealership with deposits on M3, but none on C32?? I thought the cars are more or less comparable performance wise, except C32 is auto and M3 is not?<p><p><p>

·
Registered
C230 SS KOMPRESSOR
29 Posts
I would definitely get the C32 over the M3. The M3 has had alot of problems with their motor. The motor is not the same motor they use on all the other 3 series it is totally different and the problems they are getting is that the engine is burning out at high rpm's. With a BMW M3 you should not expect this! So definitely go with the C32.

·
Registered
Brabus C320, 540 6sp
11 Posts
it's not fair to compare c32 or c55 with M3 beside straight line performanc, they are very close.
C32 is a easy tune, M3's already stress engine need a lots of work to make it go significant fast.
but..i have my vote to M3..my bias[8D]

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
Not really related but [:)] what would happen if MB put the CL/SL 65 AMG engine into the C class? [:D][:D][:D]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts