Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all you lucky drivers.<br> Had I known that my M3 would give me so many problems I would have never bought it. I have had to change brakes 4 times(6months) in 30,000 miles. Apparently there are 2 kinds, one for normal and one for sporty drivers. My tires only last for 3,000 miles(previous M3 5,000). I have also had problems with a dead battery, the electronics, oil that got too hot(change to 10W-60) and now the engine must be overhauled at 35,000 miles( 7 months old) because of defective hydraulic lifters. I guess its time to trade it in for a real car.<br> MB all the way.<br> Frank

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
funny you say, my friend is SO adamant about his M3 being better than C32... you're the only m3 driver i know who is second guessing his ultiamte driving machine. lol.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it is fun to drive and more driver involving than a C32, but the brakes are terrible and it has constant problems. What good is a driving machine that always annoys you with defects?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: what kind of problems did u have??

Hands free for cellphone inop, condensation in front fog lights, erratic gear change all on collection.<br> <br> All brake discs & rotors have been renewed, gearbox has been RESET twice & no difference, heater control panel in dash replaced, Airon system keeps switching from auto to manual erraticly, passenger mirror does not go back to memory position.<br> <br> Some of the above may seem nothing but over a seven month period after spending the money I spent you would expect MB to be able to get it right.<br> <br> The Dealer had made me an offer on a CL55 that I could not resist.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: what kind of problems did u have??

weird...my c32 only had fuel gauge problem...<br> now...very general question M3 or C32...<br> for fun...the answer is M3...but C32 isn't a <br> sport car...it's comfortable(but not that big)<br> for long distance trip just like any sedans...difference is it's faster...<br> Those of you who enjoy driving fast cars, why<br> bother getting C32? Just get a civic and change the engine and all...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have one of these but, damn i love C32! I would take that over an M3 no questions asked. By the way whats a cheap on of these cost?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What year M3 did you have? I had three M3's ('95 coupe auto, '96 coupe manual, and '98 sedan manual) and I got about 20k on my tires (Michelin Pilot SX MXX3) and never had any problems with brakes (or anything else!) on any of them. Of course, I didn't drive them at the limit ALL the time. I moved up to a '99 540i six-speed after the M3's and now have added a '99 C43 in my collection. I love the V8 power in the C43 but it is not as balanced as the M3's I owned. I would venture to guess the C32's handling is similar to the C43.<br>
<br>
RD

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
C43 handles like C32.......NOT!!

The C32 handling is not at all like the C43. C43 still used a recirculating ball, while the C2 uses rack and pinion. I have driven both and the C43 is in no way comparison to C32 in handling or any other way.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My M3 was a 2001.... never again

Also, on a similar note,<br> <br> my friend was hit on the drivers side of his 2000 BMW 525i sedan. The doors would not open after the crash, he has 2 broken ribs because the side airbag did not go off, and stuff like the parc distance control is broken even though it wasn't hit. You might as well buy a big 60's car and suffer the same injury with significantly less damage done to the car. Never again `BMW.....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't listen to this guy...

-M3 brakes for US cars are excellent, unless used on the track. The non-floating rotors may warp. But every 7000 miles? I doubt it. Euro-spec rotors are drilled and floating, and are indeed better if the car is used frequently on the track.<br>
<br>
-Tires last only 3000 miles? Hmmm...even if the car is only used on the track, they will last longer. Sounds like a lot of clutch dropping to me.<br>
<br>
-Yes, BMW changed the oil to 10-60 right after the M3's introduction.<br>
<br>
-7 month old '01 M3? Mine is 8 months old, and it's an '02.<br>
<br>
-Engine needs an overhaul because of defective hydraulic lifters? The E46 M3 does not have hydraulic lifters, idiot.<br>
<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, now the idiot may reply....

Hello namecalling friend,<br> <br> it just so happens that my M3 was registered in 2001, which is quite plausible considering that 7 months ago it still was 2001. Despite being drilled and floating, the brakes drone and don't work very well. My dealer told me there are 2 kinds of brakes and that I had the bad kind, however, new ones are not much better.I live in a mountainous area in Germany, which explains part of my tire wear, but it is still more than my last M3. 'The hydraulic lifters are broken' is what BMW told me when I tool it in and told them abou the noisy, powerless engine. Consider me an idiot, but after 20 years of racing in Europe and 3 previous M3s I consider myself mildly qualified to evaluate this car. Please watch your tone of voice in the future before you prematurely degrade someone on a public forum such as this. Have a nice weekend.<br> <br> Frank

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here goes...

You are not 'mildly qualified to evaluate' the M3 (or any other vehicle) if you post incorrect information on a public forum about the vehicle. The M3 does not have hydraulic lifters, period. Either you, or your dealer, is lying. Figure it out and get back to us.<br>
<br>
And anybody with 1 year, let alone 20 years, of racing experience knows that premature tire wear is a result of how the car is driven or the tire itself; it has nothing to do with the car. Since Mercedes, BMW and Porsche all use the same brands and models of tires (Continental ContiSport or Michelin Pilot Sport), then it must be how the car is driven.<br>
<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
m3's engine likes to blow up....

look at the recent incidents and you tell me how an m3 is better. more prone to failure. if i had an m3, i would be scare to drive it. yes, even the smg blew up and it's suppose to be over-rev safe. sure, tell that to bmw when they state it's your fault for overreving.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here goes...mildly

First off, I never denied that sporty driving produces premature tire wear, I am well aware of that. I simply stated that with my driving in my area, which has not changed much over the past years, my new M3 wears down the tires more than the previous ones. I called BMW and the told me that the new M3 has some sort of new system to control the valves, ie. no hydraulic lifters. This was the first time I went to the dealer I bought this car from. The corrected themselves and said that the hydraulic lifters were not broken(obviously if it has none!) and that it was this new system. Anyway, they took apart the whole engine and overhauled it. Quite frankly I really couldn't care less what is broken, I just want it to work. Anybody would take their M3 into the shop if it felt like 200HP and sounded like a vacuum cleaner with rocks in it. My dealer also told me that the brakes are so ineffective because I go to the track too much(Nurburgring every 2 weeks?!) I now had brakes from the Porsche Turbo installed. Much better! <br> <br> Frank.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Porsche

I know. I have a 911 GT3 for the Sunday driving. I think every manufacturer should equip their sporty models with Porsche brakes!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tire wear...

actually tire wear has a LOT to do with the setup of the individual car and its chassis... if you say the same tire on a different car with the same driver will wear the same, ur an idiot... <br> <br> <br> not only do consistant things like camber and toe change how quickly a tire wears (my '98 m3 has 2.5 degrees of camber in the back and 2 up front... it eats tires pretty quickly), but also the individual suspension geometry determines how the toe and camber reacts under loads... for example a single link setup, like the rear of a civic, gives a LOT of negative camber when compressed hard... this will eat tires up quicker then teh 4 link setup used on a4's where the swing arc of the tire is a lot less radical. <br> <br> <br> even the pressure of the tires changes how quickly they wear... <br> <br> <br> 3000 miles is pretty quick, but not unheard of, especially not if hes doing alot of tracking...<br> <br> <br> as for the brakes, well, str8 up, they weren't designed for track use... when you take them out on the nurburbring it'll likely glaze the pads and warp the rotors, making ur brakes basically shitty for the next little while... not much you can do about that except...well bigger brakes. :(<br> <br> the e46 m3 motors have a major reliability problem, there is no question there.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: tire wear...

Of course, you are correct that different suspension set-ups and tire pressure will affect tire wear. <br> <br> However, when comparing stock set-ups between the E36 M3 and E46 M3, which is what was suggested in the original post, there is no reason other than harder driving to cause the tires to wear almost twice as fast in the E46, as Frank has asserted. It is not the set-up of the car, as high performance BMWs (and Mercedes) come from the factory with tires and suspensions set up for reasonable tire life, which is 10-20k miles. And, with all of his years of racing experience, I am assuming that he has the tires inflated correctly.<br> <br> As far as M3 motors having a 'major reliability problem', well, that isn't at all true either. There appears to have been a small batch of bad motors constructed at the end of 2001, but it is isolated and hardly a 'major' issue with all of the motors, as you are asserting.<br> <br> <br> <br>

1 - 20 of 28 Posts