Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a bit concerned over some recent complaints about the C32's handling. How would you compare its handling versus other sports sedans such as the 540i, 330i, GS430, ect....<br> <br> <br> Thank you.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any C32 handling complaints you see will be in relation to much better cars than any you have listed, perhaps M3s etc.<br>
<br>
The C32 can outhandle any on your list in turns and then simply destroy them if the road straightens out. Also the C32 rides better than most if not all on your list too. The people that you see talking about better handling performance are probably considering lowering the car about an inch which will make its ride a little less comfortable, ala M3.<br>
<br>
But from what other posters have said once you learn how to drive the stock C32 correctly you can toss it around quite well. I agree with that, it is just that the C32's ride 'feels' slightly softer and thus more comfortable than it performs. If one is willing to trade some of the comfort, then you will get a harsher ride, and may get improved handling through slalom conditions. <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe the 540i with the Sport package can.

I absolutely agree, C32 could be stiffer, but I am an ex-M3 driver. Since the C32 is a 4-dr auto I believe MBZ placed their handling target with AMG a little bit on the smooth-ride side of the equation. This is a tradeoff that they probably made consciously. The C32 has a very good suspension but perhaps oriented to better highway ride rather than carving turns. If one wants to carve, then simply stiffer/lower springs are probably the fix. Everyone says the shocks are as good as they can be. The wheels/tires MBZ provides on the C32 are the same setup as the E36.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: The 540i can outhandle a C32. Personally, I think the C32 should be stiffer

The standard C32 certainly handles better than the standard 540i. I've just traded the 540i on a C32, so I feel qualified to comment. The 540i has a softer ride and is a good handler, but the Benz is sharper, flatter, tighter (and a hell of a lot faster).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: No! C32 sure outhandle a 540i. Personally, who will compare a C-32 with a Limo 540!

You must own a 540I E-39. I had that car before, the Torque is great in the 540I, much greater then a C-32 feel fasters. However the C32 gains speed faster than 540I, I onces raced with the 330I with the 540I on the track, an the 330IA Automatic tail my back. However with the C-32, he can't even eat the dust in my back he is just too far behide that the 330IA disapear on my rear view mirror. But if you talks about handling, the 540I just can't compare with a C-32, the car is just too big and too long, even for an M5 can't compare with the C-32. The Re-cir ball type steering is too slow also the dim is too large. Even if you changed it with larged very larged racing tires, the car re-cir ball steering system and great mass is just too hard to handle nimbly. I try the 540I on the track, It is like a boat, even I changed to AC supension components and M5 wheel and tire. But for sure the 540 is more comfortable to drive on the highway. But on city it is just too big.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I HAVE THE H&R CUP KIT ON MINE SINCE I WANTED THAT STIFFNESS, AND NOW THE CAR FEELS SO MUCH BETTER AND ITS ALOT EASIER TO DRIVE NOW. I'VE DRIVEN MY FRIENDS 6-SPEED 540i AND I DON'T THINK IT PERFORMS QUITE THE SAME ON TURNS... FORGET STRAITAWAYS... :p

·
Registered
26 Posts
I met up with about a 8 M5s recently...

Let the facts speak for themselves the local M5 boys will think next time they go picking on a AMG product, especially a c32:

http://www.bmwm5.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21243

Norm

Any C32 handling complaints you see will be in relation to much better cars than any you have listed, perhaps M3s etc.<br>
<br>
The C32 can outhandle any on your list in turns and then simply destroy them if the road straightens out. Also the C32 rides better than most if not all on your list too. The people that you see talking about better handling performance are probably considering lowering the car about an inch which will make its ride a little less comfortable, ala M3.<br>
<br>
But from what other posters have said once you learn how to drive the stock C32 correctly you can toss it around quite well. I agree with that, it is just that the C32's ride 'feels' slightly softer and thus more comfortable than it performs. If one is willing to trade some of the comfort, then you will get a harsher ride, and may get improved handling through slalom conditions. <br>

·
Registered
brabus c320
93 Posts
wow norm u had me on the internet for hrs trying to read up on those m5 boyz.thanx for tak...

wow norm u had me on the internet for hrs trying to read up on those m5 boyz.thanx for taking one for the TEAM (MBZ)!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts