Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any C32 owner driven a CLK430? How would you compare the exhaust (loudness) of the C32 versus the CLK430? I am not referring to the V8 rumble, but the loudness, specially when you accelerate. TIA for your comments.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i heard that amg exhausts don't make too much noise. if you're looking for a rumble, you may try something else.<br> <br> i don't know first hand how a c32 exhaust will compare with the c320 exhaust. most like the difference will not be too noticeable. <br> <br> if you happen to get an amg exhaust to replace your oem c320 one, please provide us with some feedback on how noticeable it is.<br> <br> thx.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do, Mike. Meantime, initial findings are:

1) C32 exhaust system (muffler/resonator) is longer compared to the C320 (from tip of muffler to resonator flange). On the resonator end; C32 has 2 pipes/flanges, but C320 has only 1 pipe/flange to joint with cat.<br> <br> 2) C32 has 2 tubes coming from the cat to the resonator. A Y bend fuses the 2 pipes into 1 just before resonator.<br> <br> 3) C32 exhaust pipe is 75mm versus 65mm for the C320.<br> <br> 4) still deliberating whether to simply the installation by just using the C320 resonator and fitting just the muffler only; or go to the trouble of using the entire muffler/resonator of the C32.<br> <br> Any advice or comments here? TIA.<br> <br> Beng<br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Will do, Mike. Meantime, initial findings are:

beng, it sounds like it more trouble than it's worth. but that all depends if you think the sound of the exhaust is more important. if it is, go with the full exhaust but given that exhaust pressure from the c32 is different from the c320, the full exhaust might not sound much different if you were to just install the muffler.<br> <br> if you were to go simply for looks, the muffler installation may be you best bet.<br> <br> i'm in a similiar situation like you. i'm probably either gonna go with a amg muffler ( i know that this will not make any sound) or another exhaust brand.<br> <br> i'm interested in knowing what you ultimately will decide on and your results. <br> <br> i have a amg kit on my c320 and i believe the amg exhaust tips will give you a problem if you ordered the wrong rear apron. i was told there were to types of rear aprons for the kit. one made to fit the amg exhaust tips and one that doesn't.<br> <br> mike

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
traded my clk430 for the c32.<br> <br> the exhaust note is not that big from the clk. you hear more of the V8 engine rumbling than the exhaust.<br> <br> the V6 engine does not sound as deep, but the exhaust note is more pronounced. the sound of the exhaust is not as deep of a sound like the V8 engine.<br> <br> hope that helps.<br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tx, let's see if I get your message correctly.....

.... you are saying, if we discount the V8 rumble, the C32 exhaust sounds louder than the CLK430. Not a deep burble but definitely louder.<br> <br> Right? <br> <br> Beng

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike, I have the C32 aerokit with the larger cut out for the AMG twin-oval muffler tips.

What I will do depends on how much they will charge me for the correct C240/C320 AMG muffler system.<br> <br> Got a really good deal on the C32 exhaust, so if they will charge me more for the C240/C320 version, I will probably just install the C32 muffler and forget about the resonator which would simplify matters.<br> <br> Wondering how much of a difference in sound would it make by installing the C32 resonator or not. Any comments here?<br> <br> Beng<br> <br> <br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes. that's correct. it is a more pronounced note. (more)

i believe that the clk430 was not meant to be as sporty, so the exhaust is more muffled for 'comfort' reasons.<br> <br> the c32 being a 'sports' sedan is a different story.<br> <br> the sound is not quite like putting a huge aftermarket exhaust on a japanese car with that big deep exhaust note that you can hear a mile away.<br> <br> this is still a mercedes, and it will keep some of that comfort level...<br> <br> if you're looking for a deeper, louder sounding exhaust, you should look into a different exhaust than the AMG IMHO...<br> <br> check out www.c32life.com. they have some movie files of a c32 taking off (multimedia section). that may give you a better idea...<br> <br> hope that was clearer!<br> <br> thanks<br> <br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Traded a CLK430 for a C32 also....

I agree with TC. The CLK430 exhaust is not loud. Thats why I changed to a Brabus exhaust which sounds deeper.<br> Now I have the C32, I think it just sounds a tiny bit louder than the CLK 430 factory exhaust, not as deep as the Brabus though.<br> If I were u, I will not go for a C32 exhaust rather I would go for either a Carlsson 4 tip exhaust or a Brabus exhaust.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your advice/comments HT, tc and Mike! Think I will stay with the AMG exhaust because.....

I prefer to keep everything OE. Again, appreciate all your constructive comments an advices.<br> <br> Beng

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a clk 430 with an AMG exhaust. The clk 430 is louder. I#vedriven CLK 430's with regular exhaust, and they are quiter then the c32.<br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Folks<br> <br> I have a c240 with a manual transmission and I am wondering if a factory c32 exhaust will fit on it. I am also wondering if this change shall make any difference in the performance...<br> thanks in advance<br> andre<br>

·
Registered
2002 C32
7 Posts

1) C32 exhaust system (muffler/resonator) is longer compared to the C320 (from tip of muffler to resonator flange). On the resonator end; C32 has 2 pipes/flanges, but C320 has only 1 pipe/flange to joint with cat.<br> <br> 2) C32 has 2 tubes coming from the cat to the resonator. A Y bend fuses the 2 pipes into 1 just before resonator.<br> <br> 3) C32 exhaust pipe is 75mm versus 65mm for the C320.<br> <br> 4) still deliberating whether to simply the installation by just using the C320 resonator and fitting just the muffler only; or go to the trouble of using the entire muffler/resonator of the C32.<br> <br> Any advice or comments here? TIA.<br> <br> Beng<br> <br>

·
Registered
2002 C32
7 Posts

I visited a Tuner shop today who specializes in Kleeman work and he suggested to get a more throaty sound you could just eliminate the resonator with stainless steel tubing and it would give a sportier sound with the AMG muffler. I am concerned that it might cause a computer fault or throw off the settings because of change in backpressure. Does this sound reasonable. He said there would not be any performance gain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I'm looking for a pic of the C32 exhaust system, especially the position of the connecting pipe.

Thanx in advance
Regards
Chris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts