Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
people. which is a better buy? C300 or C350?

we all know the C350 has more power and the 7 speed tranny. Does this tranny feel smoother than what the C300 has? Will the C300's 4Matic outweigh the 7 speed of the C350?

In terms of cabin noise, is the C300 quieter than the C350 b/c of its smaller engine. Smaller = quiet?

Is the extra hp worth the difference in money? I mean, its only about a second faster than the C300, and the roads here dont really allow for much speed.

Tell me your opinions, which is a better buy?

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
C300 is plenty quick and a better buy. MB expects a majority of C-class sales in the US to be the 3.0L version.

Both cars are fine choices.

Reactions: a.danhamidu

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz W204 C350 4MATIC 2008
293 Posts
c350 has an awesome exhaust system noise!! that extra power is alwyas there wen u need it too. quicker, nicer, plus u can get a panorama roof on the c350. I have the canadian model soo I donno much buot the US versions..but man, go fer the c350 4mattic, or the best model in the US..u will not regret it!!:)

·
Registered
2015 GLA 250 4Matic
44 Posts
I was disappointed that the 268 hp C350 was not available in a 4matic in the USA. I would have bought that if it were available. It is encouraging to see that the 2009 SLK350 engine puts out 300 hp, so maybe the 2009 C350 Sport will have the same output. Let's hope it does, and comes in 4matic too!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
c350 has an awesome exhaust system noise!! that extra power is alwyas there wen u need it too. quicker, nicer, plus u can get a panorama roof on the c350. I have the canadian model soo I donno much buot the US versions..but man, go fer the c350 4mattic, or the best model in the US..u will not regret it!!:)
umm, is the exhaust noise audible in the cabin? Id rather the cabin was quiet than a loud exhaust.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the C300 4matic 7 speed auto and I like it! it is smooth and quiet. I wanted a highway cruiser as my commute is 110 miles roundtrip each day , i am getting about 23-24 mpg so far. Has plenty of power even at high speed. had it up to 108mph for a short burst and felt stable with more to go on the top end. Corners like it is on rails and easy to drive.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
umm, is the exhaust noise audible in the cabin? Id rather the cabin was quiet than a loud exhaust.
Not really noticeable in the cabin with windows and sunroof closed. But outside you can hear a pretty healthy exhaust note from functional dual exhausts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Id go with c350. I Just bought mine and am very happy. The panoroof is awesome and the birdseye maple trim in the interior in really nice (not avail. on c300). I think the aluminum look on the interior of the c300 looks a little cheap, no offense to the 300 ppl.

If u get a 300 loaded and get a 350 loaded the difference in price is like $2500-$3000. Seemed like a no brainer to me...

not to mention the 300 only gets like 1mpg better gas mileage then the 350

I drove both cars and felt like the 350 utilized the 7automatic better, smoother shifts imo

all of the above led me to my decision

good luck..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the C300 4matic 7 speed auto and I like it! it is smooth and quiet. I wanted a highway cruiser as my commute is 110 miles roundtrip each day , i am getting about 23-24 mpg so far. Has plenty of power even at high speed. had it up to 108mph for a short burst and felt stable with more to go on the top end. Corners like it is on rails and easy to drive.
what does it mean when you say it feels like driving on rails?

·
Registered
25 Posts
people. which is a better buy? C300 or C350?

we all know the C350 has more power and the 7 speed tranny. Does this tranny feel smoother than what the C300 has? Will the C300's 4Matic outweigh the 7 speed of the C350?

In terms of cabin noise, is the C300 quieter than the C350 b/c of its smaller engine. Smaller = quiet?

Is the extra hp worth the difference in money? I mean, its only about a second faster than the C300, and the roads here dont really allow for much speed.

Tell me your opinions, which is a better buy?
Just test drive both cars and make your decision from there. Although it's helpful to hear other's opinions (C350 is a no brainer IMO), nothing substitutes for your own experience.

·
Registered
08 c300 sport Mars Red 6spd
53 Posts
I agree. Obviously everyone has their own opnion.

For some, hp doesn't mean anything. The extra $ for the 350 isnt worth it to them.
Vice versa.

Drive them back to back for yourself. It's the only way to tell. Period.
You will get too many mixed personal opinions, esp those biased to their car.

Both excellent choices btw.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I will be coming out of a beast of a car (STI) so I have already given up hope that the performance of either the 300 or 350 will be anywhere near what I am used too( I understand different car different application). For me I am simply looking for a car that is refined, smooth, offers a nice planted feel to the road, has some upmarket appeal and that can still put a smile on my face when the wife is home and I am out on the road alone.
What is the MM package?

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
I will be coming out of a beast of a car (STI) so I have already given up hope that the performance of either the 300 or 350 will be anywhere near what I am used too( I understand different car different application). For me I am simply looking for a car that is refined, smooth, offers a nice planted feel to the road, has some upmarket appeal and that can still put a smile on my face when the wife is home and I am out on the road alone.
\QUOTE]

BenzoDream - The new C-class will easily meet the criteria that you've mentioned above. The real-world, on the street performance of the C350 is not that much worse because you don't have all that turbo lag.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Id go with c350. I Just bought mine and am very happy. The panoroof is awesome and the birdseye maple trim in the interior in really nice (not avail. on c300). I think the aluminum look on the interior of the c300 looks a little cheap, no offense to the 300 ppl.

If u get a 300 loaded and get a 350 loaded the difference in price is like $2500-$3000. Seemed like a no brainer to me...

not to mention the 300 only gets like 1mpg better gas mileage then the 350

I drove both cars and felt like the 350 utilized the 7automatic better, smoother shifts imo

all of the above led me to my decision

good luck..
Up here in Canada, I got the Bird's Eye Maple Trim as a free upgrade on my C300 with the free sport package. As for C350, I think its how much power you really want. I'm coming from a Honda Civic, so this is more than enough power for me.

On an earlier topic, my "Check Coolant Level" message came up again as it did two weeks ago. I took it to the service department and he said that some new cars might have an "air bubble" causing the coolant to spill over a bit, he topped it up and says it should be ok. No leaks he could see. I've never heard of an air pocket have you guys?

·
Registered
2008 Steel Grey C300 Sport 6MT
55 Posts
If you don't mind living with an automatic transmission I would say the C350 would be better if you are concerned with horsepower. I required a manual transmission so I went with the C300 Sport which I love and has plenty of power for me and the transmission is beautiul. If you are not concerned with horsepower I would say don't waste your money on the bigger engine and get the C300.

Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts