Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, anyone have time to answer a few questions for a lurker? I'm on the three year plan...I want a c300 sport but I want to pay at least 50% cash and get it through the european delivery program, so it will take me some time to meet my goal.

So, my questions:
1. On the panorama roof, does the front sunroof operate like the stock single sunroof? Does it tilt and slide all the way open as well? Is there sunshades for both the front and rear glass?

2. In the brochure I got it said the car can run on E85 if it has the automatic transmission. Why couldn't you run E85 in a C300 with the 6 speed manual? It's the same engine, what's the deal?

3. The salesperson at the dealer told me the car requires service every year or 13,000 miles...I had a volkswagen that had a 7500 mile oil change interval, but 13k just seems crazy! Do these engines come with some sort of super synthetic oil?

I liked looking at the pics everyone has posted and hope in the months to come to learn as much as I can about the new c class. I never thought I'd want a mercedes, but the 300 sport just looks awesome, and IMO it's a steal at a starting price of $32k. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to answer my questions. Have a great Super Bowl weekend!

JQ
Tucson, AZ, USA

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
1. Yes and yes. You can check eBayMotors for the Cs they have for pictures of various items you may have questions about. Since they're trying to sell the car they usually take some detailed pictures that a person normally wouldn't.

2. No idea why.

3. Yup, 13,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. These car do use synthetic oil. For a list of approved oils, see here: Mercedes-Benz Engine Oil Recommendations The interval actually used to be 10k miles that would fluctuate based on driving conditions that the computer automatically calculated. I read that this was confusing for some owners so now it's a fixed 13k mile system.

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
3. 13K is correct and appropriate oil change interval for the C300 with large oil capacity filled with Mobile1 synthetic. Plenty of research supports this oil change interval, and Porsche is using an interval of 15K using same oil. The VW you are referring to is probably a turbo.

C300 is a thoroughly engineered product, a little more luxurious and less sporty than a BMW 3 series. Not only best looking in its class, but quick and fun to drive for the serious enthusiast.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Okay, today my wife visited the dealer to discuss which C class she'll get. He said go with the C250, the C300 doesn't give you much more for the money. What're your opinions? (btw, apparently, the C350 isn't even offered here in Japan.) I would tend to go for the higher horsepower engine, but that's not as important to my wife.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Okay, today my wife visited the dealer to discuss which C class she'll get. He said go with the C250, the C300 doesn't give you much more for the money. What're your opinions? (btw, apparently, the C350 isn't even offered here in Japan.) I would tend to go for the higher horsepower engine, but that's not as important to my wife.
I have the C300 cause I'm in the U.S., and it is the smallest engine they give us. It's very good, perfectly good car, for my needs.

I could have lived with a slightly smaller engine too. The car is about having an enjoyable and comfortable car, and you'll get that with the C250 too. If you save a good amount of money, your wife is probably right to go with the C250.

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
Is the C250 a small V6? If so, should be fine in Japan with lower traffic speeds and high price of gasoline.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes C250 is a V6 too, I was quite surprised. I always thought that smallest V6 possible is 3 litre.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yes, the C250 has a 2.5 liter V-6. Otherwise it's the same as the C300. They also offer a 1.8 liter 4-cylinder engine over here. Unless you step up to the AMG C63, the biggest engine offered here is the 3.0 liter V-6.
Apparently, the base price for the C250 Avantgarde vs. the C300S Avantgarde is about $10,000. The dealer pointed out that you can add the sport package to the C250 for about $6,000. I want the sport package. My wife doesn't care. I'm trying to decide if the jump in horsepower is worth approx. $4,000. The two engines get approx. the same reported mileage. My wife's CLK 200K has a little turbocharged 1.8l 4-cylinder which has less horsepower (but barely more torque) than the 2.5l V6 and it's a lotta fun to drive.

Honestly, I'm sure I'll be happy with either one, but am interested in other Benz enthusiasts' opinions.

Thanks,

Kent

·
Registered
21 Posts
C250 will be same as C230 in Canada. Both engins will be used with 2.5 V6 200hp &
181lb-ft torque.

I was thinking to buy C230 but C230 is heavier than other brand's similar models (about 50~70kg) even though model luxury brand's entry model has same 200 hp & about 200lb-ft torque.(BMW323 or Audi 2.0T)

Now Im going for C300.
I think that 228HP and 221lb-ft torque is very enough power as my viewpoint about C300.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts