Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 C300 - Sport
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.. I just picked up my new C300 last Thursday up here on Long Island. Pollen was ridiculous and took over my entire car (black). I was wondering when a safe time would be to send it through the car wash (I didn't want to do anything to the wax that is still on the paint).. Should I go today? or wait another week or two.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2008 C300
24 Posts
The dealership I purchased the car at said I could go in and get free unlimited car washes. But I am leasing it and I did purchase pre-paid maintenance for the term of the lease.

But I believe its a standard thing, who knows. Definitely call and ask. While you're on the phone you can find out if its safe to do this or not - as for me, I'm getting it washed within the first 2 weeks for sure.

(btw- because of my delayed purchase they must've washed it 2-3 times themselves lol)

·
Registered
2013 C300 Sport Darth V 3.0
788 Posts
I wash mine a few times a week though it is done by me :D I know the dealer ran mine through the wash before I picked it up as it was dirty the day before so you should be OK. MB in Amityville has a car wash and I was told to stop by whenever for free wash's but I have never done even though they are only a ten minute drive from my office.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
Find a commercial hand wash operation. Around here we have 4 to choose from. I never use machine wash places.

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,155 Posts
Find a commercial hand wash operation. Around here we have 4 to choose from. I never use machine wash places.
As MB-SV said, don't use them. Most auto-washes will damage the paint if contact is made on your car. Any dirt left from the previous car will now blast your car and could leave swirls in the paint.
High-pressure washers also damage and strip the wax off.
Hand wash from the top down and keep it looking new.
The Detailing and Car Care Forum above also have great tips.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
'15 C400, Formerly '11 C350 - Formerly '08 C300
137 Posts
Tree pollen is brutal. Mine is covered within hours of a wash. It's the bird droppings that really worry me.

***Whatever you do - don't use machine wash - I picked up some scratches and now must have them detailed or touched up.

Wash by hand, I go to the self serve and use merino wool mitts, nice and gentle and worth it for the "quality time" I get with the car :D Though I only go once a week, but I will go to rinse off the bird droppings before they cook to the (obsidian black) paint, in and out in a few minutes. Or for that matter, if I find myself in a funk over the tree pollen.

I will be getting a special treatment so I won't have to wax, when I bring it in to have the scratches done.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
I will be getting a special treatment so I won't have to wax, when I bring it in to have the scratches done.
What's the "special treatment"?

·
Registered
2008 MB C300
17 Posts
Whatever you do, do NOT use the self-serve car wash places as they usually recycle the dirty water. You might as well fill a bucket with dirt and water. Also, NEVER, I mean NEVER, get your car washed by high-school fun-raising car washes unless you like lots of scratches. I usually just give them money and and skip the wash. ;)

I always hand wash my cars with a micro-fiber sponge and dry them off with the ABSORBER. No scratches or swirl marks ever!

For waxing I usually use Meguiars and micro-fiber towels.

MICRO-FIBER FTW!!!!!!

·
Registered
'15 C400, Formerly '11 C350 - Formerly '08 C300
137 Posts
What's the "special treatment"?
Last night when I posted, the brochure was in the trunk - so not wanting to spell incorrectly, I ad libbed special treatment... it is actually called, and spelled, Xzilon. It was recommended by the dealer.

And self serve or auto wash are my only two options. I choose the lesser of the 2 evils, otherwise I'll have to use Perrier. Or Aquafina, but only when I fill up with mid-grade.:D

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport
158 Posts
I always hand wash my car twice a week, but in the winter when it gets way too cold here in NY, i use this hand wash on hillside avenue. I dont know how far out on LI you are, but the hand wash on hillside ave near marcus ave, its quite good, but you pay a little more than usual there. Always lots of ferraris go in there and they do a superb job. But Ive been washing my car even with the pollen constantly falling, and just make sure to use microfiber stuff if you can, as it generally leaves the least scratches or swirls.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts