Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
'94 C280 US Spec
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a difference between a C280 (non sport, no emblem) sway stabilizer bar and the C36's? Is it stronger?
Would it be a plug and play job to fit it in the 280?

·
Registered
'96 C220 n/a diesel
393 Posts
the difference is the thickness, should go straight on tho, as far as i know the H&R and eibach kits are thicker than the standard c36 bars, good if u want to drive hard mate

·
Registered
'94 C280 US Spec
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are three "parts" to the sway bar, the part closest up front is 27mm thick, then 23, and 25 close to the wheels. I had the seller measure the AMG bar and he only measured the front part and its also 27mm. Is that possible? Or is the AMG 27mm all the way and thus stronger?

·
Registered
1996 C36 ///AMG and a 1995 C280 sport
672 Posts
I believe the "Steel" of the sway bar itself is much stronger on the C36.

·
Registered
'94 C280 US Spec
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just want to make sure that I don't buy the same one I have in my car, because many parts are exactly the same as in a C36. I should probably buy the rear one too eh? The guy wants the equivalent of just 50$ for the front bar.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I just want to make sure that I don't buy the same one I have in my car, because many parts are exactly the same as in a C36. QUOTE]I don't know about your cars, but I have a C36 AMG, and a 95 C280, and the whole suspension is different. I have the factory AMG tuned suspension on the C36 AMG so most of the parts are COMPLETLY different from the C280, why do you think its called an AMG for!? lol

·
Registered
'94 C280 US Spec
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's what comes up on my VIN datacard
Model C 280 , C36 AMG

When I buy parts at the dealership, they sometimes ask me if its an AMG or not.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Here's what comes up on my VIN datacard
Model C 280 , C36 AMG

When I buy parts at the dealership, they sometimes ask me if its an AMG or not.
You have a C36 AMG then! lol

·
Registered
'94 C280 US Spec
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Russian site says Model C 280 , C36 AMG and down the list "california version".
I'm sure its not a C36, nor does it have the body kit, but many parts are the same.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Does it say AMG on the trunk? or on the engine?? does it have the AMG speedo, suspension??

·
Registered
'94 C280 US Spec
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope, nope, nope and not sure on the suspension. I know there were original Bilstein sport shocks.
I think the car was what BMW calls "individual", it is a high option car (considering the model year) and thus no badge. I know that cars like this are very hard to find here in Europe. Most of the US-specs have many options so that the cars can be competitive on the US car market.
But even though I have a standard front bumper, the brake vents and wheel well liner are AMG type (stated by the guy at the dealership) or same for both cars. He had to recalculate the VIN to Euro (US VINs are a bit different) and it was pretty hard finding the exact parts for it. Ie. US corners with the orange part are no longer available in Europe (can't even be ordered).

·
Registered
'94 C280 US Spec
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I studied ebay offers a bit and you can see the difference on the pics

C280

C36, not too much different (that can be seen anyways)

C43 :D
way different

Would it be crazy to install the 43 bar? Price is like the 36s.

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG, 2002 C32 AMG
1,637 Posts
how much are they asking? h&r makes aftermaket sway bars which are thicker then the stock and depending on where you shop you can probably get front and rear for around 500 dollars i think.

·
Registered
672 Posts
The difference in the C36 versus the C280's sway bar is the STRENGTH of steel used! NOT so much the looks. Thats why on hard turns the C36 almost doesnt sway at all, compared to the C280 that sways MASSIVLY.

·
Registered
1986 190D 2.5 5 Speed
608 Posts
The difference in the C36 versus the C280's sway bar is the STRENGTH of steel used! NOT so much the looks. Thats why on hard turns the C36 almost doesnt sway at all, compared to the C280 that sways MASSIVLY.
It really just depends on the diameter of the steel and the shocks and springs used. I am sure the steel is the same unless one is hollow and one is solid.

·
Registered
672 Posts
It really just depends on the diameter of the steel and the shocks and springs used. I am sure the steel is the same unless one is hollow and one is solid.
Actually when I check my VIN on my C36 AMG it shows, AMG tuned suspension - Industrial strength Sway bar. and on my other '95 C280 it shows nothing of the sort. It also says the exact same thing in the specs and info pages on the AMG too.

·
Registered
'94 C280 US Spec
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea I'm pretty sure there is a hidden difference between 280 and C36 bars.
I bought the C43 bar on ebay for 50 bucks and the guy also had a complete glass sunroof for 130 so I took that too. Hope they arrive soon.

·
Registered
'94 C280 US Spec
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I have the parts. They C43 sway bar is original Eibach, didn't know that.
I'll post comparison pics and my feelings, as soon as I install it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts