Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car was orginally in northern New Mexico through 85 k miles. The head gasket was rebuilt at 75k. We used Chevron Supreme 10w/30 every 3k miles as recommended by the shop in NM.

Last year we brought it to Phoenix AZ. I had to nurse it along all summer to make sure it did not overheat. The Phx shop is saying that I should prepare myself to again replace the head gasket in the near future because of some small oil leaks! It just rolled over 101k & everything else seems to be in great shape.

I went to replace the oil this am. I had read that Mobil 1 0-40 was the preferred oil of choice. The Mobil 1 shop recommended Mobil 1 10w40 High Milage to help conditioning of the seals hopefully to help prevent leaks etc. I hope I did the right thing in making this type of sudden change and 1) would I continue to use this weight and type of oil all during the year? 2) even during extreme summer?

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I'm assuming you have a 1994-1996 C280 because you've already done one head gasket and are getting ready to do another. So for that year of car (or any year with the M104 inline 6 cylinder), the 10w40 high mileage is a perfectly appropriate choice, and probably a better choice than a 10w30 given the climate where you live. The Mobil 1 0w40 would be the right way to go on a 1998-2000 C280 with the M112 V6 engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for taking the time to shed light on my posting. I can't tell you how relieved I am once I read your response. Again thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am wondering with my
age of car: 1996 c280
type of oil Mobil 1 10w40 High Milage
Would you be so kind as to suggest how many miles are best between oil changes.

Mobil 1 rep says 9-10K
Manuel says 7,500 K
I have always done 3 K w regular oil

Thank you for all of you help, time and consideration.

·
Registered
880 Posts
First, don't do the head gasket just because you're weeping oil. As long as you're not seeing large puddles of oil on the ground, just say not. Just keep an eye on the car, and really how much money do you want to put into an 17-year old car.

Second, have you replaced the wiring harness yet? You might do better to start looking for a newer replacement car, and let your head gasket weep.

Third, if your car is not burning oil, you don't need a seal conditioner, and the 0W-40 should be fine. My '97 C280 has 170,000 miles, and I use 5 qts 0W-40, and 2 qts of 20W-50, both Mobil I.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts