Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a small metallic noise when starting from stand still at about 15 k/h (first gear change?). Sounds like a chirp and very much like a clutch plate touch. This is more prononuced when the car is starting uphill. Any idea what this is??:confused:

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
check if the transfluid level is at the correct level.
Better yet, buy trans filter, trans pan gasket, and 4 qts of MB trans fluid and drop the pan, change the filter. You will have an opportunity to take a look at the trans fluid and see if there are any metal shavings in the fluid/pan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. Actually the valve body was recently changed under warranty by MBCL, this to resolve a jerky downshift which would not go away with software upgrades. The jerkiness has reduced but still slightly there. I only heard this chatter / whirling noise when my window was down. Cannot hear with windows up. Also is very short in duration exactly at about 15kmph probably first step?
Does that help anything further?

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
if the valvebody was replaced by MB, take the car back to MB dealer (that performed the valvebody change) and show them the symptoms of the tranny and tell them to fix it right.

It's very difficult (if not impossible) to diagnose trans problems over the internet :)
Go back to the dealer and complain. They should be able to fix it.

After the issue is resolved, please post an update on this thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dear Friends, This turned out not to be a transmission problem after all! The chief mechanic pin pointed the problem very soon. It was the ceramic elements of the catalytic converter (both of them) that had come loose and rattled at a certain RPM which happened to coincide with the gear shift up! They have been changed and no problems now. Just so you know I understand this is a known problem and therefore MB provides a 8 year warranty on this part!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Recently had the stereo get hung up on my C280/2007. The 'surround sound' section would not show and therefore there was no sound from the stereo when playing radio or CD's even though the tracks were seen to be running and station able to change. This got reset to OK after stopping and starting (reboot?) but MB changed the stereo amplifier free of charge under warranty! Great service but one wonders about the car???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts