Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok my passanger side seat all working fine 100%, except the backrest cant go forward.
It happend because my friend came visit from japan, and he find my power seat is very interesting, and he play it all the time like a toy while hes in my car.
Since i know he only use train in japan, so i let him be.

After he left, i realize couple months later my passanger backrest sometimes cant go up. I have to keep pushing the switch forward many times until it works.
Then last week i try to move up the backrest, the motor make clicking sound couple times, then silent. Doesnt matter how many times i click the switch forward it wont move up. So my passanger seat backrest stuck at very low position. Strangely it still can move backward, just not forward.

All other position work bottom seat can tilt up and down, forward and backward.
Headrest can move up and down fine 100% all the time.
Backrest can only move down, but cant move up.

I replaced all the fuse at the front right trunk floor, thinking maybe its the fuse but its not.

So please HELP!!
i wonder is it the switch or the motor? does backrest have 2 motor 1 to move up and 1 to move down?
Or my gear stuck?

How do you manually move up the backrest? is there a crank? i opened the plastic covering to the gear that move the backrest at the side of the seat, and i realize they can be push in on both right and left side gears of the seat, but it still wont go up, seems like theres extra locking mechanism.

Thank you for your times guys

·
Registered
1998 C230 53K
13 Posts
The behavior of being flakey before it failed and going backwards but not forwards makes me suspicious of the switch.

I'd be tempted to get a junkyard or ebay switch before I took it to the dealer or tore it apart.

I haven't looked at the one or two motors thing but it doesn't strike me as a very elegant design to have a different motor for each direction. It's simpler, lighter and cheaper to just have it run in reverse.

I'm still thinking switch...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By the way, can you guys figure out how to raise the backrest up manually?
Since mine stuck all the way at bottom, hitting the back seat, so its annoying that i lost the backseat space. Please help

·
Registered
1995 C280
1 Posts
I have the same problem except stuck forward (driver ouch)

Did you ever figure this one out? I really need to get the drivers seat off the wheel! :) :crybaby2:

·
Registered
1990 420SEL, 1998 C230
42 Posts
Had/have a similar problem with my driver & passanger seat in my C230, thankfully it froze where I like it to normally be. Never properly diagosed the problem, but I think there is a relay in the trunk somewhere that controls the seats.

Not 100% sure on it because I never cared enough to fix it since it was never a serious problem for me, but might want to look into that as a possible solution?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya i figure it out, turn out its my switch at the door. I bought it on ebay the switches module. And it fixed. BTW i take out the seat outside and open the back of the seats to figure out everything. The back of your seat have more mechanism behind it. But luckily its only my switch problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts