Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your console makes a ticking sound after driving for 30 minutes or so here is the fix. A black insulating pad located just overtop the heat shield gets warm and curls causing it to contact the driveshalf. This soft material is just firm enough in construction to transmit driveshalft RPM sounds in the form of a tick tick up thru the console. Under the car remove the heat shield that is the large one under the center of the car. On the driver's side of the driveshaft look up and you will see a black soft material, then look a the most rearward section. Using a bright light you will see it shows wear at the corner and a one inch length section of the driveshaft will appear "shiney" so to speak. This is where the pad was rubbing the driveshaft. Cut off the worn pad and you should be all set. I cut off no more than a one inch sized square to fix the problem. Re-install the heat shield and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
2007 C230 Sport Automatic
35 Posts
Finally got to fixing mine, need a #8 socket to get the heat shield off, the insulating pad for me was curled over on the passenger side, but got a blade up there and sliced it off, and oh, the joy of not having to put up with that noise any more!!! Thank you Chuck!

·
Registered
2003 C240 4Matic
28 Posts
i have the same problem on my w203
can anyone post pics of this? or pics on how to do this?
i am a newbie and am scared to touch the benz. i dont wanna mess it up. would benz dealers fix it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts