Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
toyota
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm a newbie at this forum. Need yor honest oppinion on this issue.
- I'm on the market tor a very basic, simple mid-size family sedan, automatic. My budget is 29K-32K and I'm puzzled between these 3 cars. I'm not very familiar with C-class, but here are my thoughts:

a) C240/1.8 seems to me small; here, we run A/C 7 months/year. Also, I've heard the turbo doesn't operate at its best in hot climates. True? The C240/V6 looks OK, but less HP than 1.8 ?! Aren't we underpowered here?

b) Audi A4/3.0 is suppose to be great car, nice interior, excellent safety figures - a lot of car for the $. But, the 3.0 engine is brand new model, plus their new CVT... So, I'm not sure.

c) BMW325i is right in my $ range. Especially, those come almost stripped (may be just moonroof), exactly what I need. Their engine has been around forever. Excellent resale, but slightly lower safety results compared to A4.

Also, how do the C240 sedans usually come? I pretty much need a stripped one, or just very few options.

Please, consider:
-reliability
-safety
-ride/comfort/feel

Thanks

·
Registered
2015 ML250 BTC
1,314 Posts
Based on positive comments . . . maybe the C230

MB's 3-door C230 may be the best car at giving you the most for the least money while offering some excitement and good resale in a luxury small car.

In 4-door versions of these cars, I think the C320 may the best small luxury sports sedan there is in what is the most competitive class in the auto industry.

But, given the smaller engines of the three autos you mentioned, they probably can be joined by a few other autos that overall may offer enough positives with any negatives that they're all good values considering the trade-offs, e.g., Lexus has a new competitive model in this class (and Jag, but it isn't selling too well).

Down a notch in luxury would be Honda's V6 Accord. And, CR has liked VW's Passat for the last couple of years, even tho VWs are not viewed as very good compared to Audi's in Germany where they both are made. But Audi's are not big sellers in the US so I'd wonder about resale.

·
Registered
2001 ML320
1,126 Posts
none are really mid-size

They're all relatively small on the inside and outside, so if that's a major criteria, you might be looking at the wrong ones...

The Passat feels quite a bit roomier as do the Accord and Camry.

·
Registered
2002 C240 Classic
19 Posts
safety features

Howdy ccpackin I was also looking at these 3 models and decided on the c240 for safety features. Also I wanted the manual transmission {cheaper} And more fun to drive. Being a family man now the benz had extra air bags in the back and also a stability program.The 320i which is the same price here in Canada didn't have such items. If you want an automatic, CVT audi is supposed to be great.The 325i is great if you can get it for the same price as the c240. c240 is no road rocket, however I am sure it rides quieter and smoother than either cars.

·
Registered
toyota
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: safety features

The 325i is great if you can get it for the same price as the c240. c240 is no road rocket, however I am sure it rides quieter and smoother than either cars.
325i-auto with moonroof I can get for US 29500.I guess, 2K more will get me in C240.
Audi A4/3.0 is more around 33K. There are way too many new things - CVT, new 3.o engine....I'm not sure...

·
Registered
2002 C240 Classic
19 Posts
confusing isn't it

All new technology, the c240 is but 2 years old. Same with the Audi. The bimmer is old. Here in Canada the 325i is 2k more then the c240. In fact I had to sign an agreement with the dealer that I would not sell my c240 to the states until a year has passed! That price for the 325i with those options is a good deal. What I have heard about the CVT is the transmission is extremely smooth and there is no penalty in fuel economy like most automatics. I know very little about the 3.0 . Here in Canada we pay for scheduled maintenance for mercedes services. In U.S. it is all included

·
Registered
C240 W203 Avantgarde
47 Posts
The C 240 is a very smooth ride, but the engine is very weak at low revs - not what you ex...

The C 240 is a very smooth ride, but the engine is very weak at low revs - not what you expect from a V6. I hear that the 230 Kompressor in the Coupe is livelier, but that's not a family car.

The 320 is the best car in the range, but apparently beyond what you're prepared to spend (and need, in terms of equipment).

In any case: if you want a manual, don't buy a Mercedes - it's got the best auto, but the "stickiest" shifter.

·
Registered
MBENZ ML320, AUDI A4 SPORT, MBENZ C230K SS (current)
1,729 Posts
AUdi i think would be suitable for your needs. It's AWD, 4 year warranty maintance FREE,...

AUdi i think would be suitable for your needs. It's AWD, 4 year warranty maintance FREE, a lot of safety features, good fuel consumption, and materials they used in the car are really good.

Mercedes-benz c230 sedan is kinda new to the market so i suggestyou better wait for a few months and see how buyers respond to the vehicle

BMW its been in the market for a long time now and it's proven its self many times. It's good overall vehicle. But ofcourse when you buy a vehicle you want to be different from others. IN vancouver where i live you see BMW's everywhere i mean everywhere. i like BMWs but i just kinda gotten sick of seeing them. So it's really up toyou which car you like STYLING wise, and price range all 3 vehicles performs well in any aspect..

hope this helps I SEND YOU A EMAIL about this..

-6th

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
All nice cars but if you think they don't have enough power you are correct. This is the...

All nice cars but if you think they don't have enough power you are correct. This is the bottom end of the euro market. You may consider the American or Asian market, you'll get more bang for the buck. Take the C230/C240, you'll always regret not getting the very fun to drive C320. Same with the Bimmer, the car is crap without a) sport package and b) bigger motor of the 330i. At least with the Audi you chose the better engine, unfortunately that shoots the price up on an otherwise nice $28k car. The problem with the Audi is weight. If you like seeing your dealer for service on regular basis then MB/BMW/Audi is the best way to go, within a year you'll know all the service advisors. If you want a nice reliable fast comfortable quiet car look somewhere else. Check out the Jag X-Type, very nice, very british and has been trouble free for a friend of mine.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
I wouldn't get the X-type...

Check out the Jag X-Type, very nice, very british and has been trouble free for a friend of mine.
While it is a nice car, its integration of AWD and traction control is not that great. The rear seat legroom is worse than the C-coupe's (which is actually excellent).

As for power, it is all relative. Personally I found the C240 to be more than adequate for my needs, and I say that even though I have a C320.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: All nice cars but if you think they don't have enough power you are correct. This is the

If you like seeing your dealer for service on regular basis then MB/BMW/Audi is the best way to go, within a year you'll know all the service advisors.
Reading this old thread, I wish ccpakin had posted what his decision was and how it worked out.

I'm facing a similar decision, looking for AWD -- A4 quattro 3.0, C320 4matic, 330xi. I also test drove the C240 (decent car but I'm used to more torque).

The quote about MB/BMW/Audi needing lots of service is probably off-base. I've had Audi quattros for years, and they've been trouble-free. It's probably not just luck -- Audi has reasonably good repair/maintenance history data. From what I can tell, the same is true of MB and BMW as long as you get routine service done religiously.

I'm leaning hard toward the C320 4matic. Though it doesn't have quite the sporty handling of the A4, it's ok, and I don't care what you call it -- MB has that suberb reputation and respect that BMW doesn't quite have, and of course Audi doesn't at all. While we can all ignore what others think, we can't ignore resale value. On that, MB is king.

·
Registered
ML320 C230 380SL
69 Posts
Hi there,

I'm a newbie at this forum. Need yor honest oppinion on this issue.
- I'm on the market tor a very basic, simple mid-size family sedan, automatic. My budget is 29K-32K and I'm puzzled between these 3 cars. I'm not very familiar with C-class, but here are my thoughts:

a) C240/1.8 seems to me small; here, we run A/C 7 months/year. Also, I've heard the turbo doesn't operate at its best in hot climates. True? The C240/V6 looks OK, but less HP than 1.8 ?! Aren't we underpowered here?

b) Audi A4/3.0 is suppose to be great car, nice interior, excellent safety figures - a lot of car for the $. But, the 3.0 engine is brand new model, plus their new CVT... So, I'm not sure.

c) BMW325i is right in my $ range. Especially, those come almost stripped (may be just moonroof), exactly what I need. Their engine has been around forever. Excellent resale, but slightly lower safety results compared to A4.

Also, how do the C240 sedans usually come? I pretty much need a stripped one, or just very few options.

Please, consider:
-reliability
-safety
-ride/comfort/feel

Thanks
Hi - my two cents .. I owned a 3x bimmer and a two c Benz- for a family car - go w. the Benz - safety is their priority..got tele aid and lots of airbags..not the fastest but solid as a rock..safe smooth ride

·
Registered
83 300TD/97 E320/98 SL500
105 Posts
All three are good cars...

so it comes down to what's more important to you. I just bought an Audi A4 1.8T in September (8k miles), my sister has had her C240 for a couple of years now (20k miles). My impressions:

C240- this car exemplifies Mercedes- interior fit and finish has been criticized elsewhere, but I think it's pretty good. The ride is plush and comfortable, the engine is competent and with the transmission, is well composed and comfortable. Above all, Mercedes styling has always been great and age very gracefully (except for the previous generation E-class!...but that's my opinion). However, IMHO, this car costs too much for what you are getting, ~$38K for base 240 + sunfoof, rear shade, rain sensor, homelink, and automatic. Also, electricals seem to be a bit of a problem.

A4- interior fit and finish is comparable if not better than the C. Ride is firmer and definitely more sporty even with the stock suspension and 15" wheels. I had concerns about Audi reliability, but so far I've had no problems- we'll see how everything holds up over the long run. One big plus is value with the A4- at $26K, the only features the Benz has over it are: larver engine (2.6L vs. 1.8T) power seats, rear shade, homelink. (BTW, the A4 has 6-disc in dash changer standard =) To see the Audi enthusiast's point of view, check out the forums at www.audiworld.com

Test-drive both back to back and see which one you like. It's a matter of opinion- my sister likes the Merc more overall, I prefer the Audi overall. Both are excellent cars in their own right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts