Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 C240 manual transmission that has twice had a situation where when I start it it runs rough like it's not getting any gas. The first time I stopped immediately to check the gas cap, because I know from previous experience if it's not on tight then it could cause the check engine light to come on. When I restarted the car it was fine. The second time I just thought maybe it was cold, and I was late for an interview (!) so I drove it anyway, on the freeway where it would NOT accelerate no matter that I was flooring it. I had to put on the hazard lights so as not to get rear-ended. When I stopped to drop my kid off at daycare and restarted the car, it was like nothing had ever happened, it was fine. It is at the dealer now (I didn't drive it after this episode) and they can't duplicate the problem and the only code they got from the engine was a misfire. I have an extended warranty but that will only pay if they find out what's wrong, so as it sounds right now I'm on the hook for $200.00 diagnostic time, AND I don't have a car I trust to drive. Does anyone have any ideas what's wrong?

·
Registered
anything i want
24 Posts
with the info provided i would have to guess and say water in the tank, or maybe a partially clogged gas filter. what i would do is;
1 change fuel filter
2 If its water in the tank? try buying your fuel at a different place to see if that maybe it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I always get gas from several different (reputable) gas stations so that's probably not the problem. Would it be the fuel filter if the mere act of turning the car off and restarting it gets rid of the problem? I would think if it were something mechanical like a clogged fuel filter then the problem would occur intermittently regardless of restarting the car, but what do I know?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar episode and have the exact car with a manual transmission. I took it in and they replaced a vaccuum hose. Didn't fix the problem so i returned it and they replaced the air flow valve. Much better now but still a little sluggish in 1st with uneven acceleration at low speeds. Don't know if this helps and i'm at the mercy of the mechanic....I know nothing of fixing cars. Sure gets frustrating! Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, we're like two out of twenty people in the US that have a manual C240! Apparently most people get automatics, although I love driving the manual. It is frustrating--hard to enjoy your car when it's acting up! And of course it gets expensive too.

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
Get a W126 hehe. Mine has 144K and the last owner used it as a beater. Runs like a top still.. Biggest problem I have tho, is a flaky idle ( I tinker with it consatly )[:D][:D]. Look into what I told ladron1974 in this thread http://forums.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1209344&posts=2&fid=44

·
Registered
anything i want
24 Posts
monicarichards - 5/5/2005 8:19 PM

I would think if it were something mechanical like a clogged fuel filter then the problem would occur intermittently regardless of restarting the car, but what do I know?
(partially clogged filter).
if you change the fuel filter you will be good to go.or take to the dealer and i will charge you $500 to change the fuel filter and some vacuum lines[:)]j/k please let us know when you get your c-240 fixed and what you had to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spoke with the dealer rep at length and it turns out that although the codes registered an engine misfire they didn't register anything else. Apparently this is not supposed to happen--if the engine misfired it's supposed to know why. They checked the fuel filter, all the sensors, etc., test drove the car numerous times and came up with nothing. Her best guess at this point is that it's the computer itself that's acting up (my suspicion all along actually, because cycling the key would fix the problem) and that because it's only happened twice and is non-duplicatable, there is no way in heck my warranty will cover any repair. So I have the car back, it is driving great, and hopefully it was just a blip, computers do that sometimes after all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts