Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
01' E430 Silver Sport Edition, 01'E430 Champagne, 00' c230 Kompressor
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Guys, i bought a 2000 c230 kompressor with the triptronic transmission. From my understanding, the cluster should show the "D" for drive when you start up the car.

I am able to down shift and shift up but i have to take a ballpack guess to feel what gear i am in.

Is there a way that i can reset the cluster itself so it syncs to the car? The cluster does have a spot for the P,R,N,D,1,2,3,4 on the left side of the clock, I feel it is just not displaying it at all, Even when the car is in drive.

*edit the clock displays all pixels, as well as all other displays.

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor Special Edition
1,173 Posts
Does it display R, N,D or is it not displaying anything at all?

2000 is the only year the 202 had TouchShift, maybe check the W208 forum. Can't remember if there are two bulbs involved or not.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It displays nothing at all. Almost as if it wasn't there.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Maybe a pin on the connector is broken, or the actual unit itself. Check on EPC if you can buy just the gear/clock unit seperately.

Dealer parts dept can look it up as they would live to sell you the part.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the unit itself does not need to be programmed? The seller told me that the cluster was replaced with a c280 cluster.

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor
141 Posts
This might not be what's wrong with yours, but on my car, I had the same problem occur twice, once when drink was spilled on the shifter (cleaned and dried the shifter to fix) and the second time when I changed my shifter bushing and forgot to plug the electrical connector on the shifter back in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you. I will check to see if the electrical connector is plugged in

·
Registered
2000 C230K
278 Posts
These are my guesses, they may point you in the right direction:

1. Cluster is from an older car. Older Cluster/Car did not support that section of the display.

2. Cluster ribbon cable is messed up. I don't recall if the gear selection display uses its own cable or if there is a single cable for all the displays.

3. There is something wrong with the LCD like a connection or a solder joint problem.

Have you tried opening the cluster and inspect it. There are various threads about it in the forum. But If I had to guess I would go for #1

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Ditto on older cluster. The 2000 was the only W202 with Touchshift. Two cables with no seperate cable for gear.

The redline on the tach is wrong also.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took a picture of the cluster. Is this the wrong one?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts