Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1771 Cugnot Steam Wagen
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been sittin for 4 years. Some I've talked to think it's going to be unreliable due to sitting when I do use at as DD eventually. I think otherwise. Major maintenance's have been done. Oil leaks fixed, tranny rebuilt. What's a car like this need to get it on the road? I know I'm gonna syphon the old gas out of the tank and clean the tank eventually. New sparks, battery, tires. Gonna have the suspension looked at by my Uncle. Anything else I should look at while it's on the lift??? It's at 144, 145k if I remember right. And the radio doesn't power up even before the battery died. Should I check a fuse? It's non-bose system. Did they even offer that in 97 on the 202s? I can't remember! Thanks.

·
Registered
2014 Mercedes-Benz C300, 2006 Lexus IS250 AWD, 2006 Land Rover LR3 SE, 2000 Ranger R83
907 Posts
Change fluids (oil, coolant) maybe a new fuel filter, fresh wiper blades, check the tires for cupping, flat spots. Just a general once over.

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor Special Edition
1,173 Posts
Never even started? Did you try to start it? Don't until you get more answers. Some people talk about flushing the fuel tank with diesel fuel first. Then you would need to do a drain and refill in the oil before you start it.

There was an article by George Murphy in the Star last issue about old cars and the damage that can be done.

You will definitely need new fluids and filters - all of them.
And tires. Battery. Etc.

·
Registered
1771 Cugnot Steam Wagen
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never even started? Did you try to start it? Don't until you get more answers. Some people talk about flushing the fuel tank with diesel fuel first. Then you would need to do a drain and refill in the oil before you start it.

There was an article by George Murphy in the Star last issue about old cars and the damage that can be done.

You will definitely need new fluids and filters - all of them.
And tires. Battery. Etc.
Thanks for the input guys. About the wiper blades. The previous owner didn't replace the wiper blades on time and it scratched my windshield in the line of the wiper. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor Special Edition
1,173 Posts
New windshields aren't very expensive for these cars. You can order one from parts.com or just get one at the auto-glass shop for about $200.00, plus install.

Both are made by PGW and are the exact same. The one from parts.com has a little Mercedes star.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts