Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2000 c230 with 87k miles ...
It will not shift out of park (while pressing the brake). I can manually override with the pen in shifter trick to put in gear, but once you put it back in park it locks and unable to shift (unless I manually override).

Does it have a neutral safety switch?????

FYI...this is the 1st problem I have ever had with the car,

Thanks
geo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE

We have a 2000 c230 with 87k miles ...
It will not shift out of park (while pressing the brake). I can manually override with the pen in shifter trick to put in gear, but once you put it back in park it locks and unable to shift (unless I manually override).

Does it have a neutral safety switch?????

FYI...this is the 1st problem I have ever had with the car,

Thanks
geo
UPDATE:
Took car to local dealer here in Carlsbad CA, Hoehn Mercedes-Benz. They wanted to replace shifter, stop lamp switch and had a few other recommendations.
They wanted over 1k to fix shifter and stop lamp, and with other recommendations it would be over 2900.00.

So I took next logical step and did a little research, check out the forums online and I was puzzled..to why if shifter was fried, then why was it not in limp mode.
I purchased a new stop lamp switch and replaced it today.. And Voila the car shifts..

Funny.. the dealer was pre-authorized to do minor work, they could have just replace stop lamp 1st, and if it worked I may have gone for other repairs...
Edit/Delete Message

·
Registered
'99 2.3L Kompressor
1,944 Posts
Now you know why they call it a stealership. Glad it was a simple and cheap fix!

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
DIY

That's why I told the Wife when she wanted to trade her '96 Explorer for the '96 C-220 that I would be doing ALL the service and repairs possible. I was lucky to go 3 1/2 years before anything went wrong. Then I got even luckier finding this Forum to help me out!:bowdown:

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

C as in 2220

1 - 7 of 7 Posts