Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 C230 kompressor with the C/S 5 speed automatic. I talked with the local benz dealer, and they reccomend changing the fluid at 100,000 miles because it is a "sealed unit". I realize it is synthetic, but this does not seem possible. Does anyone know a safe interval for a fliud flush and change?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
That is what the dealership recommends, but I have heard from someone on this forum that wear on the transmission starts to get more excessive around 80,000 miles. Recently I took my 02' C230KSC into the dealership for the transmission oil flush. The car had 95,000 when the transmission was flushed. I had asked if they evaluate the transmission during the fluid change, and the SA told me that the fluid looked dirty, but the transmission was in overall good condition.

I'm not sure if he actually talked to the technician who performed the job though, but I believe he probably did. Flushing the transmission at the dealership is a really good idea, and not too expensive. For my car it was $265 dollars with tax. I've heard of people doing the job themselves, but the dealership uses a special machine to completely flush out, and clean up the old stuff. They also replace several parts of the transmission. I can list them if you would like to know.

I didn't really notice much change in my tranmission after the flush, but it did seem a little smoother. I had also noticed my car was shifting slightly hard from reverse to drive, and that seemed to stop after the flush.

Matt G.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
matt, thank you for the info. How many miles have you put on your car since the service, and has anything odd been happening? The reason I ask, is looking at other threads, owners have mentioned that sometimes problems surface after a service.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Only about 1,000 more miles since the oil change. I don't really drive the car all that much, except from work, and back. That is a short trip. I haven't noticed any problems with the transmission at all after the flush. It actually seems to be doing it's job slightly better. Don't forget that there is other important services to be performed around 100,000 miles. New spark plugs, fuel filter, belts, differential, radiator coolant, etc...

I'm sure it adds up to a good sum of money, but a lot of it can be DIY. Just need to buy the MB parts, and fluids from the dealership. Doing the job yourself will save a good amount of money in labor charges. I plan to get the spark plugs changed myself, and possibly the fuel filter. Not sure about where the fuel filter is located though. It's possible you may have to drop the pan.

By the way, while talking with the dealership about the transmission flush, I had asked about the 100,000 miles tune up. All that is included is spark plug, and fuel filter change. I was quoted at $650 dollars without tax. Seems way to expensive in my opinion. Most of that is likely the fuel filter though.

Matt G.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Latest factory service bulletin (07/2007) provided to dealerships states that V6 cars with M112 (C240 or C320) require 1 service @39K miles and that's it. Not to sure why Mercedes wouldn't specify the next interval? Nothing about 4 cylinder cars I guess due to the increased torque output from the V6 mills? I would probabaly do the 4 cylinder box the same since the extra srvc. can't hurt. Definitely would not wait until 100K miles to perform service! Many independent mercedes only shops recommend the first service anywhere from 60 to 80K miles. I did mine @85K and fluid looked OK but smelled burned?

·
Registered
29 Posts
i notice my car shifts hard from 1st to 2nd sometimes when i slow down to make a right or left turn. I push the gas and it jerks...but my car only has 57k on it right now

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have a 2004 C230 kompressor with the C/S 5 speed automatic. I talked with the local benz dealer, and they reccomend changing the fluid at 100,000 miles because it is a "sealed unit". I realize it is synthetic, but this does not seem possible. Does anyone know a safe interval for a fliud flush and change?
Change it every 40,000 ---50,000 miles with Factory Full Synthetic Oil
MB biscuit heads say its Lifetime Tranny Oil
OK I am Raising the B.S. Flag on that.

Change it. You will see a MARKED improvement almost immediately.
Go on, you'll see.

I posted a Tranny Oil Change DIY replete with Pictures sometime back.
Real easy and messy.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
One of my neighbors has a CLK320 and he took it in and they said tranny oil is forever and then at 130K miles, he paid about $4k for a rebuilt tranny. The dealer was right though, why worry about a $220 service when you can get $4k, pretty sweet deal.

I did the tranny fluid on my kids SLK230 when it had about 92K miles or so. It was like mud with sludge at the pan that had to be cleaned out. It's amazing that the transmisssion still worked. Based on my personal experience, I would change it at about 50K miles.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Latest factory service bulletin (07/2007) provided to dealerships states that V6 cars with M112 (C240 or C320) require 1 service @39K miles and that's it. Not to sure why Mercedes wouldn't specify the next interval? Nothing about 4 cylinder cars I guess due to the increased torque output from the V6 mills? I would probabaly do the 4 cylinder box the same since the extra srvc. can't hurt. Definitely would not wait until 100K miles to perform service! Many independent mercedes only shops recommend the first service anywhere from 60 to 80K miles. I did mine @85K and fluid looked OK but smelled burned?

that is for the cars with a 722.9 transmission. based on experience and from all the tranny jobs I have done on the newer cars, I would change the fluid every 15k miles.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I did the tranny fluid on my kids SLK230 when it had about 92K miles or so. It was like mud with sludge at the pan that had to be cleaned out. It's amazing that the transmisssion still worked. Based on my personal experience, I would change it at about 50K miles.
When you did the SLK230 transmission did it look worn down badly?
that is for the cars with a 722.9 transmission. based on experience and from all the tranny jobs I have done on the newer cars, I would change the fluid every 15k miles.
Every 15,000 thousand miles... Why do you recommend changing the transmission oil so often?

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
52,804 Posts
As a rule of thumb, and speaking from vast experiience, 60k is the maximum;)
And Streetglowers post of 15k is not incorrect, after all the engine oil should be changed at approx 10k, so why ignore the transmission oil. Transmission rebuilds cost serious money and an oil change is preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
When you did the SLK230 transmission did it look worn down badly?
You can't tell by removing the pan and filter if it's worn out, you would have to pull it to tell. All I can tell is the normally red clear tranny fluid looked like mud, brown, murky and the sludge at the bottom of the pan was thick like mud. The filter was encased in sludge so the flow of oil through the tranny had to be impaired. The tranny felt more responsive and shifted better after the oil change.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
So am I understanding this correctly, that Mercedes-Benz considers their transmission to be a sealed unit, because they want people to blow their transmissions, and have to purchase another, or is there some logic behind the whole, "Sealed for life" idea?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
As a rule of thumb, and speaking from vast experiience, 60k is the maximum;)
And Streetglowers post of 15k is not incorrect, after all the engine oil should be changed at approx 10k, so why ignore the transmission oil. Transmission rebuilds cost serious money and an oil change is preventative maintenance.
so why is 15K incorrect?

here is a pic of fluid taken from a CLS at 22K miles

imagine what this fluid would look like later on? the 722.9 trannies are not built like the 722.6 trannies, even at 10K miles this is what the fluid looks like
every pan I have pulled on a 722.9 tranny the fluid has either been black or been black with small metal shavings in it.

now as far as MB saying its a sealed unit is wrong and no MB doesnt want you to blow the tranny. I havent seen that many trannies fail yet. now I have replaced them due to rough shifting, but none yet for completely failing.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
52,804 Posts
so why is 15K incorrect?

here is a pic of fluid taken from a CLS at 22K miles

imagine what this fluid would look like later on? the 722.9 trannies are not built like the 722.6 trannies, even at 10K miles this is what the fluid looks like
every pan I have pulled on a 722.9 tranny the fluid has either been black or been black with small metal shavings in it.

now as far as MB saying its a sealed unit is wrong and no MB doesnt want you to blow the tranny. I havent seen that many trannies fail yet. now I have replaced them due to rough shifting, but none yet for completely failing.
Hi Streetglower, if you read my post again, I said Streetglower is NOT incorrect;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
yes good question i owned one a good time ago mercedes benz refers to sealed for life the transmission shop i go to recommend every 3 years it takes about 1.5 to 2 hours to service the transmission you may ask your self how to get the fluid back in hum to think about mercedes bright idea how to get money out of people really smart you have to have a special tool that they inserted it into the drain plug hole and pump the fluid back in and the have to check the menu on the steering wheel or dash depending on what model i also owner a slk350 same thing with ignition on til it gives transmission is full not over filled but filled then they pinch the tool and tighten the transmission drain plug i have to give it to merceds benz they now have given it to everyone that bought one of there cars and it is not sheep wercedes charges 425.00 some more 150 a hour plus parts 300 for labor the tranny fluid 29.00 per quart tranny fluid then 147 for tanny kit filter gasket pretty good sales pitch to buy there car

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
That bit about the "sealed for life" is something that even M-B themselves backed off of, due to just how stupid it was and the fact that they were getting called out on it. The revised (from M-B) interval is every 60,000 km, or 39,000 miles. Do that, and the 722.6 transmissions in our cars should last basically forever.

The method that I use is to do a full exchange. This takes between 12 and 14 litres of ATF, including dropping the pan, replacing the filter, replacing the electrical connector plug, and exchanging the fluid 3 liters at a time. For getting the old fluid out and pumping the new fluid in, I just start the engine and let the transmission's fluid pump do the work. I think that's the safest way. Do this until your fluid starts getting pretty darn red. If you have a partner helping you, then while the engine is started, have that partner (with foot FIRMLY on the brake pedal, the emergency brake FULLY engaged, and chocks on the rear wheels!) shift through the gears while the engine is on. This will activate the various solenoids and flush out even more old fluid, which is always a good thing.

Now, for type of fluid. Five-speed transmissions can use any of 236.10, 236.12, or 236.14 spec fluid. Seven-speed transmission, however, MUST use only 236.14, or you will destroy your transmission. I now generally use Shell ATF 134 (236.14 spec) any time I do this service because A.) it's on the "approved" list from M-B themselves; B.) it's correct for both 722.6 (five-speed) and 722.9 (seven-speed) transmissions, thus you can just buy one type of trans fluid and not have to worry about it; and C.) it's affordable and available pretty much everywhere in the USA. In other countries, Febi-Bilstein Titan 4134 would be the equally good and economical choice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts