Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Great site here!
My name is Billy, and I have a few questions for you.

My mother in law just lost her job and her c230 kompressor 2004 water pump and belt are broken. I've offered to fix this for her since we can't afford 1,200 at the shop.

Could someone be kind enough to point me in the direction of a tutorial of water pump replacement and replacing the belt.

Thank you everyone and happy holidays!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
JMHO, but this is not a car (or a job) on which to begin a DIY "career". The idea that you could do this is a kind thought and gesture, but when you're half in and can't finish, it's not going to be pretty.

Have her call around. It's not a $1,200 job (depending on where you are) but it is difficult for a casual DIYer.

You could spend $20 on an alldata printout that would detail all you will need to do; at least you'd be better informed about what is actually involved.

Good luck.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Pump bolt locations

Attachments

·
52,804 Posts
Remove poly belt

Attachments

·
52,804 Posts
You will have to remove the lower engine cover to drain the coolant into a clean suitable container.

·
52,804 Posts
When you are finished and put the coolant back in run the engine at idle speed until working temp is reached, leave the header tank cap off during this period and the car heater switched on full. This will help the coolant to circulate and assist in the bleeding of air from the entire system.

·
52,804 Posts
And I hope you meant poly belt replace and not timing belt.

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts
Have her call around. It's not a $1,200 job (depending on where you are) but it is difficult for a casual DIYer.
I agree that it could be. However I was able to swap out pumps easily enough. I did know how to remove my belt though... :)

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I agree that it could be. However I was able to swap out pumps easily enough. I did know how to remove my belt though... :)
And you probably knew that you can't see the timing belt (on so equipped engines) just by opening the hood. :(

That's kind of my concern; the OP's heart is in the right place, but I'm concerned that with that much lack of familiarity, this isn't the thing to start with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts