Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please someone help me! I have a 1999 mercedes c230 kompressor and i been having problems since i got the car with starting it. The car has a hard time starting and takes about 3-5 seconds to start on average. But after you start it and turn it off and start it again right away, it starts with no problem. I just change the spark plugs today and no effect at all. Please help ,any advise.

·
Registered
1994 C180 Esprit, 2002 C200 Kompressor Elegance
145 Posts
Please someone help me! I have a 1999 mercedes c230 kompressor and i been having problems since i got the car with starting it. The car has a hard time starting and takes about 3-5 seconds to start on average. But after you start it and turn it off and start it again right away, it starts with no problem. I just change the spark plugs today and no effect at all. Please help ,any advise.
Could be the crank sensor maybe.

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG, 2002 C32 AMG
1,637 Posts
doesnt quite sound like a cranks sensor. to me it sounds like you are losing fuel pressure when it sits. maybe a leaky injector or a leak in your fuel line somewhere. bmeister knows alot more about this, hopefully he will chime in.

when is the last time you changed your fuel filter? should be done about every 90k miles.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
i would think if its the fuel filter you would probably notice it on the highway or under large load. it sounds to me like you are losing fuel pressure somewhere, and it just takes a little bit for the pump to build it back up before you can start it the first time. thats why you can start it so quickly after you shut it off. the pressure hasnt gone away yet.

does your car sometimes buck or seem like it cuts out for a split second when driving on the highway? if it does, then i would say replace the fuel filter. if not, i would say look somewhere else to solve your problem, but fuel filters are cheap and pretty easy to replace. i would also suggest checking your fuel lines for cracks. when i replaced my filter i also replaced some of the lines because they were looking pretty bad.

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
MAF Madness...

Our C would not even start until I cleaned the MAF and that barely got it running. Then it ran like it was running on 2 or three till I got it to a shop that hung the Star Computer on it and said it was throwing all kinds of false codes. One new Bosch MAF and no problems for two years now. Often the MAF will cause other codes like Misfire and fuel trim before you will ever get a 0170. I wish I had recieved the blessed 0170 instead of all the other codes I did, it would have saved me a bunch of money.

I agree that this symtom does sound like the classic fuel rail pressure loss, but the code nails it for me. Could be two problems at the same time as well.

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

C as in 220

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hard Start

Same problem... '99 C230 w/ 130k on it (original owner). Lately it takes twice as long to start as it has since new. Just had the MAF replaced, cleared check engine 170 code, but still starts hard. I just replaced the fuel filter... still hard start.
Xserve, did the ign wire/ coil replacement fix it? I don't see that coralation, that would be more of a mis fire occuring all the time???
Some one must know this seem like a fairly common problem.
Anyone???

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Same problem... '99 C230 w/ 130k on it (original owner). Lately it takes twice as long to start as it has since new. Just had the MAF replaced, cleared check engine 170 code, but still starts hard. I just replaced the fuel filter... still hard start.
Xserve, did the ign wire/ coil replacement fix it? I don't see that coralation, that would be more of a mis fire occuring all the time???
Some one must know this seem like a fairly common problem.
Anyone???
is your problem that it just takes a long time to start? if so, is that only after its been sitting for a while?

if you stop the car and then immediately try to restart it, does it take a long time to start then too?

·
Registered
6 Posts
YES! When the engine is warm it starts much easiler. When the engine is cold it takes longer to start. It began hard starting just once in a while , 1out of 10 starts, and slowly got worse. Now if the engine is cold or cool it will crank approx 4 -5 second to start. It does appear to start better if you push the gas pedal down, never had to do that before.???

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
check your vacuum lines and connections from the intake manifold to the fuel pressure regulator.

also, try cleaning the throttle body and lubricating any throttle linkages if you have them. im pretty sure yours is electronic though.

also, inspect your rubber fuel lines for cracks/leaks ect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Forgot to update... The car was having the starting issues every start, warm or cold. Replaced the fuel pressure regulator ... $ 100usd oe Bosch, takes less than 5 minutes to replace. Starts perfect now, just like it use to.
Hope this helps someone else

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Someone has also advised me based on this problem to change the fuel pressure regulator which I beleive is that round cylinder thing atop the engine block towards the front kind of?

Im wondering if this would also give me better gas mileage if faulty?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Haven't put a tank of fuel through it yet; I will note the odometer and track the milage next time.

Yes, it is the small silver plug looking item in the fuel bar. Front of engine directly to the right of the oil filler cap. Simply remove the snap ring and gently pull old regulator out. Some gas many spill out (place towel under fuel bar) so try not and pull too quickly. Install new and reinstall snap ring.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.