Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2004 c230 and it has been over a year now since my SRS light came on. Dealer is charging me 150 just to diagnose why the light is lit. I know it has something to do with the airbags. Is there anyone here knows what is going on or why that light just suddenly came on? Pls help im tired of looking at the SRS light!!!! thanks.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
there are many sensors and many airbags. all anyone on the internet could do is randomly guess why the light is on. problems with the seat belt pyrotechnic retractors may (or may not, I don't know) also be capable of setting off the light. the only way to know why the light is on is to have it scanned, and generally only the dealer will be able to do that because the SRS codes are not standarized across the industry (unlike the engine/emissions diagnostic codes).

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
Yep, you are going to have to get the car scanned with SDS. The error code will tell you what is wrong. Depending on what is wrong, it may just need to be reset, or it may need some parts to fix it. For example, if someone was working on the radio and had the top console panel (with the passenger airbag indicator) disconnected, and switched on the ignition, then it will store that error. Even though the panel was reconnected and is working, the SRS error light can only be cleared by SDS. Another common failure are the seat weight sensors. They end up having to be replaced when they fail. But again, you need to get the codes pulled. Call a few indy mechanics in your area and see if any have the equipment to read the errors.

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompresser Sport Coupe, 6-speed, leather, pano roof
110 Posts
I had an SRS light too. Had Boris at Autos of Europe check it out and he said it was the seat occupancy sensor in the passenger seat. He also said 5 bills to repair it.

I have seen that there are seat occupancy emulators that will tell the SRS there is a person in the seat at all times. Most of these devices are less than 50 bucks.

My question is this: Has anyone here used these devices to "repair" thier SRS? The only drawback I could see would be that one cannot use a rear facing carseat in that seat. Any remarks or comments about these devices...pros or cons?

Thanks

RBofRB

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
Other than worries about children in the front seat, the only problem I can see is that the passenger airbags would go off needlessly in an accident. Personally, I'd rather them go off when not needed rather than not work when needed.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Update...

Received the "seat occupancy emulator" device and installed it on the passenger seat. SRS light went off and "airbag off" light is also off.

Procedure was easy and didn't take long. I took some pics and if anyone is interested, Ill post em.

I only did this AFTER a scan identified that the passenger seat sensor was the problem. I would also suggest getting the system scanned so the right sensor is identified.

RBofRB

·
Registered
2005 C230 Kompressor
34 Posts
Where did you get the "seat occupancy emulator"? I'm having the same problem. My SRS light came on this morning.

·
Registered
05 C230 Kompressor Sedan--Mars Red,2001 Mazda Miata LS, & 2011 GMC Sierra Z-83 pick up
90 Posts
My 05 has a similar, but strange issue with the SRS light only. I just today drove my car after its been parked for a month due to my having open heart surgery (by-pass surgery). I was driving around the curve pulling onto my street and the SRS light ( only-- no airbag symbol or any other light) and message box lit up with " go to workshop warning". No more than 10 seconds later the light went back out and has remained off.

Do you guys think this is a electrical gremlin or maybe since the car was parked, the voltage (charge) might have been low enough to trigger it??

I have read on here that the only way to get the light out and reset is to have it scanned at MB... It seems to have reset itself as the SRS light is now out and I hope it stays this way.

BTW, five months ago I put in a new battery and a brand new Bosch alternator and had no issues before with the SRS light.

ANYONE HAVE ANY IMPUT??????........................................Jon

·
19,447 Posts
Most SRS errors don't just disappear; they must be reset with the proper diagnostic equipment. It seems that problems with the system getting "mixed signals" from the passenger occupancy only cause a temporary error. I have seen this once my C240.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
one thing to consider is that with the emulator, it probably means the passenger airbag will go off (if the sensors say a collision justifies it) even if no one is in the seat. this could substantially increase repair costs as it blows through the dash and on some cars will blow out the windshield (which is why it normally doesn't go off if no one's in the seat). it wouldn't matter if car is totalled though.

·
19,447 Posts
RB has a 2002 C230 Coupe. It would probably totalled if any one aiurbag went off. On a good day, that car is worth $6,000. Repairing two body panels and an airbag would cost $5K easy.

·
Registered
110 Posts
FYI, I bought the emulator off of ebay for 18 bucks. It was uber easy to install and the light went out immediately. I took some pics and would post if anyone is interested.

Yes, "Ina Faye" is a C230K and probably isnt worth more than 7500 (nada), but I like the way she drives and rides. I have all the major items taken care of now...just a few small items and she will be immaculate.

·
19,447 Posts
Don't get me wrong, a W203 may not be worth much in book value, but one in good serviceable condition is a great vehicle. It's why I bought the C240 for my granddaughter. The safety feature in her 2002 C240 rival any new 2013 Toyota on the road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts