Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Was wondering if someone could take a look at this and give some advice. I have 4 new Bilstein Shocks (B36-1856) on a 1997 C230 W202 Automatic, apprx 140k miles. Everything on the car is original/factory Mercedes.

The issue is the car seems to noticeably sag in the rear/left. Even after the new Bilstein Shocks were installed. All springs have checked out ok. So, looking into this further, I realized that the new front passenger side shock has a metal top, while new the driver-side Shock DOES NOT. They were all purchased from PartsGeek.com. See the photos below, two are the passenger side and one is the driver side.

Questions:
1. Would this likely be the cause for the car to sag in the rear/left?
2. What is this thing on the top of the shock? Is having this chrome spacer thing on the top of the shock correct? (I don’t know what it is)
3. What is correct, having a metal spacer on top of the shock for both front shocks, OR, having no top spacer on either of the front shocks?
4. What should I do? :confused:

Photos:
Imageshack - passengersidetall.jpg

Imageshack - passengersidecloseup.jpg

Imageshack - driversidetall.jpg

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Shocks won't alter any levels - look for another cause

Benz specify ride height levels - usually from centre of wheel to fender - regret do not have them for W202.

The chrome cup is to stop the rubber from sliding down the shaft of the shock - there must be something on the other one to do this or you would really notice the lack of effective damping

(NOTE) if you unscrew anything to check, do not allow the shaft to turn - hold it with a spanner on the flats provided at the very top

Oberoi

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi,

Thank you Oberoi. I took a couple more photos (Driver/Passenger) and again found no chrome cup/top on the front drivers side shock. I do notice a lack of cushioning on the left/drivers side.

So, the question still stands, what is wrong with the front shocks? Why does one shock have a chrome top and the other does not? Should I try to remove the chrome top on the passenger side shock?

Would be great to get other W202 owners advice, and maybe even pics of their front shocks.

http://i42.tinypic.com/mws8lx.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/mht8k2.jpg

Thank you

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts